Anthem Mini-Review March 26 (comparison to Adventure of the Seas)

We booked a Guaranteed Balcony late 2016 due to a great price and the fact we could drive less than 10 hours to get to the port. This will be a brief review of our likes and dislikes especially when compared to our typical cruise on Adventure of the Seas.

Bayonne Port:

Got there early and minimal lines. Check-in was delayed as they has to go get someone specific to check us in. It appears that my email to RCCL CEO and follow-up phone call to one of his executive service people called for special service. There was an email that they had that said "this couple MUST receive expedited boarding. After check-in we sat in the Suite area check in. A few minutes later, the departing and the newly arriving Hotel Directors come down to say hi to us and chit-chat about our concerns. Right after they boarded Suites, we were immediately boarded.

Sailing out of Bayonne:

Probably never again especially if not the summer. It just doesn't seem right to leave or return to a port that is not HOT.

Our Room:

The Guarantee Balcony was great. Deck 11 with a great view and plenty of room for storage. As always (IMO), beds are firm not hard and much to our liking. Each day we received a special treat including. Over the week we receive: (3) baskets of fruit, (2) plates of chocolate dipped strawberries, cut plate of fruit, cheese plate and a bottle of champagne. We guessed this was due to the email to the CEO. We didn't each much of this as there is plenty of food on the ship already.

Up-selling:

We found that the up-selling was very low key on this cruise compared to previous cruises. RCCL people had booths set-up but generally didn't bother you. We did get asked about speciality dining a few times around the pool but a quick no thanks or we've already booked worked.

Ports:

Port Canaveral delayed from Tuesday to Friday due to propulsion engine issues. This really sucked as we didn't plan to get off of the ship here and customs made everyone get off. This took 2.5 hours of our day sitting outside on the concrete with no water or other refreshments.

Nassau on Wednesday was an Okay port. We walked around some and that was it.

Cococay on Thursday was great. RCCL has built this up since our last visit over 10 years ago. The beach is great and the BBQ cookout was very good. The lines were a bit disorganized but the food was excellent.

Entertainment: We really liked the shows as they are better than Adventure although we miss not having an Ice Show. Resurrection, the Journey Tribute Band, was excellent and I'm not a huge Journey fan. Dru and his staff are fine but not completely to our liking. I think it's the interaction differences between one of the big ships and a smaller ship. Quest was good as always but certainly different having it in 270. I preferred Quest on Adventure, due mainly to the Activities Staff participation.

MDR:

For the 1st time, we had a table to ourselves. It was fine, but I prefer to meet other people and we've always had good luck getting interesting and friendly table mates. We did not like the dining rooms being (4) separate rooms with low ceilings. I would not have thought this would make much of a difference but it made for a closed in feeling and not a Wow feeling that we get on the Adventure. Service was very good although less engaging staff than we are used to. The food ratings (1 -10 with 10 being best). Note that we aren't expecting 5-Star dining on a cruise:

Pork Shank: 9

Lobster Bisque: 1

Vegetable Pot Pie: 4

Arancici (spelling?): 8+

Prime Rib: 8

Grilled Shrimp: 9

Hazel Nut Chocolate: 8+

Apple Pie Alamode: 5

Dark Chocolate Brownie: 10

Cilantro Cod: 7

Cream of Cauliflower: 8

4-Cheese Ravioli: 8

Beef Duo: 9

Asian Pork Tacos: 7+

Chicken Parmesan: 7

Windjammer:

Many options for Breakfast and Lunch. Food good for a buffet especially for Breakfast.

Other ship food:

Kummelweck: 10

Tuna Wrap: 10

Johnny Rockets: 8

Promenade Cafe: 7 (good for a quick snack, pizza is Okay a maybe a little better than on Adventure)

Jamie's Italien:

This was free from our TA. Food was very good but I would not pay for this. The lamb chops were great as was dessert, The rest was good.

Cookout Ratings:

St Louis Ribs: 8+

Gyro: 9

Cola Chicken: 9

Promenade Area:

This was a bit closed in compared to Adventure. We really like the open feeling on Adventure.

Activities:

We did not do I-Fly,

North Star was good but nothing spectacular.

Bumper Cars were a lot of fun.

Escape Room was fun.

Summary compared to Adventure:

Food is a little better than Adventure and we like the additional complimentary options.

Entertainment is better than Adventure.

The feel of the ship (MDR and Promanade) is much better on the Adventure

Cruise staff is equivalent on both although we prefer Adventure Activities Staff

Ports: Adventure has this hands down.

Weather: Adventure wins here.

Activities: Since we don't have kids, only a little better on Anthem.

Pool: Equivalent. Anthem has an additional indoor pool but with the cold weather and more people this just evens it out. Pool closed 1 day due to waves.

For what's important to us, Adventure out of San Juan is the clear winner. We had fun on Anthem just not as much as Adventure. I am anxious to see what replaces Adventure in San Juan.

We booked a Guaranteed Balcony late 2016 due to a great price and the fact we could drive less than 10 hours to get to the port. This will be a brief review of our likes and dislikes especially when compared to our typical cruise on Adventure of the Seas.

Bayonne Port:

Got there early and minimal lines. Check-in was delayed as they has to go get someone specific to check us in. It appears that my email to RCCL CEO and follow-up phone call to one of his executive service people called for special service. There was an email that they had that said "this couple MUST receive expedited boarding. After check-in we sat in the Suite area check in. A few minutes later, the departing and the newly arriving Hotel Directors come down to say hi to us and chit-chat about our concerns. Right after they boarded Suites, we were immediately boarded.

Sailing out of Bayonne:

Probably never again especially if not the summer. It just doesn't seem right to leave or return to a port that is not HOT.

Our Room:

The Guarantee Balcony was great. Deck 11 with a great view and plenty of room for storage. As always (IMO), beds are firm not hard and much to our liking. Each day we received a special treat including. Over the week we receive: (3) baskets of fruit, (2) plates of chocolate dipped strawberries, cut plate of fruit, cheese plate and a bottle of champagne. We guessed this was due to the email to the CEO. We didn't each much of this as there is plenty of food on the ship already.

Up-selling:

We found that the up-selling was very low key on this cruise compared to previous cruises. RCCL people had booths set-up but generally didn't bother you. We did get asked about speciality dining a few times around the pool but a quick no thanks or we've already booked worked.

Ports:

Port Canaveral delayed from Tuesday to Friday due to propulsion engine issues. This really sucked as we didn't plan to get off of the ship here and customs made everyone get off. This took 2.5 hours of our day sitting outside on the concrete with no water or other refreshments.

Nassau on Wednesday was an Okay port. We walked around some and that was it.

Cococay on Thursday was great. RCCL has built this up since our last visit over 10 years ago. The beach is great and the BBQ cookout was very good. The lines were a bit disorganized but the food was excellent.

Entertainment: We really liked the shows as they are better than Adventure although we miss not having an Ice Show. Resurrection, the Journey Tribute Band, was excellent and I'm not a huge Journey fan. Dru and his staff are fine but not completely to our liking. I think it's the interaction differences between one of the big ships and a smaller ship. Quest was good as always but certainly different having it in 270. I preferred Quest on Adventure, due mainly to the Activities Staff participation.

MDR:

For the 1st time, we had a table to ourselves. It was fine, but I prefer to meet other people and we've always had good luck getting interesting and friendly table mates. We did not like the dining rooms being (4) separate rooms with low ceilings. I would not have thought this would make much of a difference but it made for a closed in feeling and not a Wow feeling that we get on the Adventure. Service was very good although less engaging staff than we are used to. The food ratings (1 -10 with 10 being best). Note that we aren't expecting 5-Star dining on a cruise:

Pork Shank: 9

Lobster Bisque: 1

Vegetable Pot Pie: 4

Arancici (spelling?): 8+

Prime Rib: 8

Grilled Shrimp: 9

Hazel Nut Chocolate: 8+

Apple Pie Alamode: 5

Dark Chocolate Brownie: 10

Cilantro Cod: 7

Cream of Cauliflower: 8

4-Cheese Ravioli: 8

Beef Duo: 9

Asian Pork Tacos: 7+

Chicken Parmesan: 7

Windjammer:

Many options for Breakfast and Lunch. Food good for a buffet especially for Breakfast.

Other ship food:

Kummelweck: 10

Tuna Wrap: 10

Johnny Rockets: 8

Promenade Cafe: 7 (good for a quick snack, pizza is Okay a maybe a little better than on Adventure)

Jamie's Italien:

This was free from our TA. Food was very good but I would not pay for this. The lamb chops were great as was dessert, The rest was good.

Cookout Ratings:

St Louis Ribs: 8+

Gyro: 9

Cola Chicken: 9

Promenade Area:

This was a bit closed in compared to Adventure. We really like the open feeling on Adventure.

Activities:

We did not do I-Fly,

North Star was good but nothing spectacular.

Bumper Cars were a lot of fun.

Escape Room was fun.

Summary compared to Adventure:

Food is a little better than Adventure and we like the additional complimentary options.

Entertainment is better than Adventure.

The feel of the ship (MDR and Promanade) is much better on the Adventure

Cruise staff is equivalent on both although we prefer Adventure Activities Staff

Ports: Adventure has this hands down.

Weather: Adventure wins here.

Activities: Since we don't have kids, only a little better on Anthem.

Pool: Equivalent. Anthem has an additional indoor pool but with the cold weather and more people this just evens it out. Pool closed 1 day due to waves.

For what's important to us, Adventure out of San Juan is the clear winner. We had fun on Anthem just not as much as Adventure. I am anxious to see what replaces Adventure in San Juan.

Nice to see the comparison, we have done both Southern itineraries on Adventure and loved them and the ship. I too am interested in seeing what ship replaces Adventure. Boarding Anthem for first time on Saturday for Bermuda and Boston, look forward to exploring a couple of new ports.

Very well written and thoughtful review. And my family happens to agree completely. Thanks!

24 cruises. Classes; Quantum, Oasis, Freedom, Voyager, Radiance, Vision. Newest: Harmony OTS. Oldest: Grandeur OTS.

Thank you for the review.

I was on Anthem last year and will go on Adventure in September. So it is very interesting to read a comparison of this two ships.

On Adventure, were you able to book the ice show on your cruise planner?

My email to the CEO regarded quite a few items such as:

* new room service fees

* constant up selling

* drink package price increases (and reported decreased quality of booze)

* decreased MDR food quality with an emphasis on speciality dinners

* fake sale prices

In closing, I wrote that prices on 2018 RCCL cruises were much higher than the past few years at least for the time frame that we cruise and that I had booked a cruise on the new MSC ship for May 2018 due the great pricing.

After RCCL called me to follow up, I understood the room service fees as long as it delivers what RCCL is saying: better food options/quality and better service (fewer people will order so food will hopefully be on time). I am starting a new thread on Room Service specifically to get opinions on the new menu.