Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Hawaii

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Luau safety with nut allergies..is it possible?

We are sailing on the Infinity March 27th and would like to book a luau. Both my husband and my 8 year old have nut allergies and this is a big concern. Has anyone else with a nut allergy done a luau where the employees were cognizant of the foods which needed to be avoided? Thanks!

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd say it's risky - there's too much separation between the food servers and the cooks - many dishes may be prepared with nut oils without the servers being aware of it. the waitstaff could probably point out the most obvious dishes to avoid. luau's are pretty hokey anyhow - and expensive. I'd recommend saving the money and going to a better and more reliable restaurant.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

The food is brought in to the major luaus so there is no kitchen where your food can be separated....I am certain the wait staff is there just as that. Also most luaus are buffet style so you could avoid certain things too.
If you want to do a luau, call the place and ask about how the foods are prepared. Like I said, I am willing to bet that most do a catering service. I do not remember nuts in the food...but macadamia nuts are popular in desserts here and on fish. Also, many restaurants prepare food with peanut oils...especially asian influenced foods.
Some Luaus, like the Hale Koa, cook on the premises.

If a luau is a must, I would call around. If it can be spared, you might be fine off going to a nice dinner and then a polynesian revue show.

NCL Star 1/04
Vision of the Seas 7/09

Old January 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

On our Nov trip on the Infinity in '04, when we overnited at Lahaina, they had a local Halau perform for the evening show on the ship. Some folks who went to a Luau on Maui that evening(not Old Lahaina), got back in time for the show on the ship and thought it was better than the one they went to on shore. We enjoyed it immensely
and it might be a safer alternative.

Old January 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks to all of you. I may just do the "ship show" as I am very concerned that it would be risky to do the luau. Dining on the ship is of enough concern in itself.