Driving into Key West for a day??

Motorcycle Gma

We are spending 3-4 days pre cruise (before POM departure) and my hope was to see some of the Keys and KW. I haven't had much time for research. We are currently planning on staying at Key Largo, which I know is a long drive from Key West. If we drive in for a day, what about parking? I've heard it's a walking city? We are talking late August. If I drive 3-4 hrs there & back, I guess I should spend the night. Any reasonable hotels for a night?

I don't mind driving and am used to long distances; however, will it be traffic at 45 mph the whole way on a week day?

We enjoy snorkeling, scuba diving and adventure. Any suggestions? Thanks!

From Key Largo, you'll make Key West in 2 hours. US1 is 55 mph, but 45 mph in the more populated zones. Some portions, like Key Largo, Marathon and the Bahia Honda Bridge are 4-lane, so you'll be able to get around the slow pokes.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a reasonable hotel in August, unless it's the first week (lobster season opening).

Downtown KW, there are several parking areas where you go to a pay station and put the receipt in your windshield, so parking won't be much of a problem. And yes, from any downtown parking area, everything is pretty much walkable.

I do have an alternate idea for you though since you said you love snorkling/diving. Consider stopping at Bahia Honda State Park at about the 37 mile marker. From there, you can book a catamaran snorkling trip out to Looe Key, which I think is the best snorkling in the Keys, and just might rival any snorkling you've ever done in the Caribbean.

In my opinion Key West is a long way for a day trip, although you can do it.

Reasonable hotel means different things to different people. Key West is not inexpensive any time of the year anymore. Our average room rates are the highest in Florida. That time of year you are likely looking at $150 a night with taxes minimum for a decent place.

I agree with Aquahound that the snorkeling and diving is much better in the Upper and middle Keys then Key West. Come here to see the town and attractions, but stay where you are or visit The Middle Keys for the best snorkeling.

Thank you both for the helpful ideas. I will check out your suggestions. It will be a hard decision what to do! Is the drive on Hwy 1 pretty, I assume?!

Oh yeah, it's one of the prettiest drives in the country....the upper Keys not so much, but once you get to the Channel 5 Bridge at about 71 mile marker, things really open up for you. Then theres the mecca of all Keys bridges...the 7 Mile Bridge that starts at the 47 mile marker.

I agree with the above, but two things to add:

The drive can be frustrating at times if you end up behind a slow vehicle during the parts that it's 2-lane. The drive is very pretty, so it will be more relaxing if you have the attitude of enjoying the views rather than hoping to get to KW quickly.

I also think Looe Key has the best snorkeling in the Keys. We've used two other places, as well as the boats from Bahia Honda Park to get there: Strike Zone Charters in Big Pine Key and Looe Key Reef Resort in Ramrod Key. They are all good and all go to the same reef area, but there were a couple of times when the park boats didn't have enough customers to run, but the other places did (I'm assuming it can also go the other way, just wanted you to know other options in case).

Oh yeah, it's one of the prettiest drives in the country....the upper Keys not so much, but once you get to the Channel 5 Bridge at about 71 mile marker, things really open up for you. Then theres the mecca of all Keys bridges...the 7 Mile Bridge that starts at the 47 mile marker.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm confused about the milemarkers. Are they starting in Key West, i.e. MM 37 would be 37 miles from KW, or is 37 closer to the mainland??

So, if I wanted to spend a night, see KW on Day 1, then head back Hwy 1 to MM37 to Bahia or Looe Key, then back to Key Largo is that a good plan? Or would I do it in reverse. Key Largo, drive to MM37 to Bahia/Looe Key and then to Key West? Thank you.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm confused about the milemarkers. Are they starting in Key West, i.e. MM 37 would be 37 miles from KW, or is 37 closer to the mainland??

So, if I wanted to spend a night, see KW on Day 1, then head back Hwy 1 to MM37 to Bahia or Looe Key, then back to Key Largo is that a good plan? Or would I do it in reverse. Key Largo, drive to MM37 to Bahia/Looe Key and then to Key West? Thank you.

No problem. The mile markers start in Key West with MM 0 and then go up as you go up the Keys. Depending on where you stay in Key Largo, you'll be around MM 100. So yes, MM37 would be 37 miles from Key West....actually 33 miles because KW is MM 0-4.

I would recomend going to Bahia Honda first, on your way down. If you did it the other way around, you wouldn't get to Bahia Honda until late afternoon.

Mile marker zero is in Key West and the mile markers go up from there as you head toward the mainland.

The order you visit really depends on what you want to do. I would probably spend the night in Key West to see the sunset celebration and have a nice dinner somewhere. Key West to Bahia Honda is less then an hour drive.