Bay of biscay!

Angel19

Yes, the Bay of Biscay can be rough, it's notorious for it. But it can also be calm.

Keep an eye on the weather predictions for the area and you'll have some idea what to expect for your crossing, including the sea condition.

Modern cruise ships are able to minimise any discomfort, but if you are prone to motion-sickness make sure you have plenty of pills with you. Personally, I find Stugeron to be the best (obtainable at Boots). If the weather is going to be bad you should start taking these one or two days in advance.

To help negate the sea-sickness make sure you can see the horizon and look out to sea. This way the eyes and ears get the same message to your brain. Don't coop yourself up inside the ship.

There is always an injection from the ship's doctor, but this can be very expensive and if the crossing is rough, the wait can be very long.

We have had one really bad crossing where we had dinner on Thursday evening sailing out of Southampton and the next meal we could manage was breakfast on Saturday morning. We lost the whole of Friday. But did it spoil our cruise? Hell, no! Other people weren't affected at all!

Sorry, if this has not eased your worries, but in short there is not a lot you can do about it if things are rough, so there is not much point getting worked up about it. Just go with the flow, think about all the partying and enjoy your cruise.

Yes, the Bay of Biscay can be rough, it's notorious for it. But it can also be calm.

Keep an eye on the weather predictions for the area and you'll have some idea what to expect for your crossing, including the sea condition.

Modern cruise ships are able to minimise any discomfort, but if you are prone to motion-sickness make sure you have plenty of pills with you. Personally, I find Stugeron to be the best (obtainable at Boots). If the weather is going to be bad you should start taking these one or two days in advance.

To help negate the sea-sickness make sure you can see the horizon and look out to sea. This way the eyes and ears get the same message to your brain. Don't coop yourself up inside the ship.

There is always an injection from the ship's doctor, but this can be very expensive and if the crossing is rough, the wait can be very long.

We have had one really bad crossing where we had dinner on Thursday evening sailing out of Southampton and the next meal we could manage was breakfast on Saturday morning. We lost the whole of Friday. But did it spoil our cruise? Hell, no! Other people weren't affected at all!

Sorry, if this has not eased your worries, but in short there is not a lot you can do about it if things are rough, so there is not much point getting worked up about it. Just go with the flow, think about all the partying and enjoy your cruise.

I try to take no notice of it and carry on as usual, I have been seen clinging onto stair rails in heels long after most people have gone to lie down - I tell myself it's all in the mind (ssssh please don't tell me different because it works for me). Also I really like it if the ship is rocking at night - madness [emoji23]

The first thing I'd say is stop worrying. I worried before our first ever cruise and it was like a millpond. And anyway the modern ships are very stable; the BoB got its bad reputation in days gone by before ships had stabilisers. P&O ships are huge monsters compared to those little ships and you will be surprised that even in rough seas how they cope. We've crossed the Bay many times now and only on one cruise can I remember it being rough.

I would strongly advise that if you're still worried, start taking anti-sickness tablets the day before you leave Southampton and take one every night of your cruise. It's best to prevent than try to cure.We don't take anything now but we used to take Kwells or Sealegs as a precaution. They're available in any pharmacy and SeaLegs are a bit stronger and they contain meclozine which is an efficient anti-motion drug.

Edited by tartanexile81

The first thing I'd say is stop worrying. I worried before our first ever cruise and it was like a millpond. And anyway the modern ships are very stable; the BoB got its bad reputation in days gone by before ships had stabilisers. P&O ships are huge monsters compared to those little ships and you will be surprised that even in rough seas how they cope. We've crossed the Bay many times now and only on one cruise can I remember it being rough.

I would strongly advise that if you're still worried, start taking anti-sickness tablets the day before you leave Southampton and take one every night of your cruise. It's best to prevent than try to cure.We don't take anything now but we used to take Kwells or Sealegs as a precaution. They're available in any pharmacy and SeaLegs are a bit stronger and they contain meclozine which is an efficient anti-motion drug.

Very true I think in 15 cruises I've only known it noticeably rough 2 or 3 times and then only for a few hours.

I'm nervous about the bay of biscay as read lots of negative comments! Cruising over Christmas 2015! Can anyone help ease my worries please!! 😬😬😬

We did the Bay of Biscay when there were 7 metre waves and a very strong headwind. They didn't even close the pool as the ship's stabilisers were so good. Now Sydney heads in Australia is something else. !! relax and go with the flow. Mummsie

I like the word bouncy rather than rough.

Had it smooth sometimes, bouncy others.

Doesn't seem to depend on the time of year either.

I would also say looking at the ships tv, with the map on..you do not seem to so much go through as round the edge.

Only once have I needed tablets. I took before going to bed the first night..as they make you sleepy I slept well that first night. I may or may not have taken one the following night. By then back to normal and ok. I used Sturgeon.

Other suggestions people swear by are

bands

ginger..of various types.

If you go for the injection on board works instantly ,but costs about £60.

We have been across the bay 27 times, 54 if you count coming back. I have never had a problem, and my wife, who has been seasick crossing the channel hasn't either! Worst was a force 11 gale gusting 12 in January 2011, still not a problem!

Don't worry, as mentioned, keep an eye on the forecast and take some pills if you are worried. Frankly, you can get rough seas anywhere, the worst we had was a storm that lasted 3 days in the Med!

I have a dodgy looking scar on my head. Caused by being thrown out of my bunk during a stormy crossing of the bay in a smallish vessel. I woke up on the deck covered in blood!But it would take mountainous seas to make the modern huge cruise liners move about like we did. So don't worry too much about it.

I love it. We had gales force 11 first time on Oriana and a cabin at the front end. that was a Christmas cruise and we had to miss a port. It's like being in the fun house at Blackpool. I loved it being in bed and the mattress kind of moves while your a sleep. It like being on a surfboard. Such fun. Just enjoy you'll wonder what all the fuss was about

But the last few times it always been like a duck pond. Was so disappointed [emoji3]

Edited by zib_zib

We have had cruises where the Bay has been calm and a couple where it's been a bit choppy. The Captain is usually very good at warning you if rough weather is ahead. I would take Stugeron the night you leave Southampton and then if things are choppy in the morning continue taking them. We've always found that Stugeron will sort the problem. We've only once actually stayed in the cabin for a morning but that was when we were off the coast of Portugal, not the Bay. Take enough Stugeron so that you're not worried about it. We have had cruises where there has been no problem at all. We've found the time of the year has little to do with it.

Just to add we've had far more cruises where there has been no problem at all so don't worry about it - just be prepared.

My big sister got married in 1956, and went on honeymoon to Madeira, she always been a dinghy sailor and had no worries about the trip. They went on the Bergen Lines cruise liner Venus, and she was terribly sick. The trip was from Plymouth to Funchal, and it was only afterward she found out its nickname was the 'Vomiting Venus'. The Venus was only 6269 tons, tiny compared to todays giants, not surprised it bounced around a bit!

Our 1st cruise was through B of B where we had to out run a storm. We were on Indy & most of the time you would never know what was going on outside. The only time i noticed it was through night when i could hear all kinds of thuds & bangs which was waves hitting the side of the ship & to be honest i didnt get much sleep that night! On the way back it was like a mill pond, youve just got to ride the storm, so to speak, if its a bit on the wild side!

In probably not the person to ask as I love white knuckle rides. But our first cruising last year was during the time of all the March storms coming across the Atlantic. Oriana was moving about all over the place, I loved it. My wife was thrown out of bed at night - I told it was storm ;-)

The next cruise a few months later and on the same ship it was very calm, boring in a way.

Thank you for all your helpful comments! One question I have is can children take sturgeon? Oh actually two questions how long does it take to get to the Bob from Southampton?

Ask your pharmacist about what children can/cant take. I would guess they can, but check.

You leave Southampton, spend the first night going down the channel. Following morning you will have passed the coast of France, turned south and be heading down the French coast. Not sure at what time after that you actually start going round the edge of the bay. You can follow your progress on a channel on your in cabin tv.

I'm on the Ventura over christmas and I'm not worried about the crossing, as many other people have said the ships are so good these days. I have crossed it several times and 8 out of 10 times it's been fine, when there is a large swell and the wind it battering the ship my kids love it because the pools become wave machines :-)

Enjoy.

I'm on the Ventura over christmas and I'm not worried about the crossing, as many other people have said the ships are so good these days. I have crossed it several times and 8 out of 10 times it's been fine, when there is a large swell and the wind it battering the ship my kids love it because the pools become wave machines :-)

Enjoy.

Thanks leehobbs, fingers crossed all will be fine, I feel a lot better having read all these posts!! when do you sail??

Thanks leehobbs, fingers crossed all will be fine, I feel a lot better having read all these posts!! when do you sail??

We are sailing on the 17th December. Heading down to Southampton on the 16th to say the night in a nearby hotel so the Thursday is stress free.

I try to take no notice of it and carry on as usual, I have been seen clinging onto stair rails in heels long after most people have gone to lie down - I tell myself it's all in the mind (ssssh please don't tell me different because it works for me). Also I really like it if the ship is rocking at night - madness [emoji23]

Me too. Love it when it's rough. Proves you are at sea.

We are sailing on the 17th December. Heading down to Southampton on the 16th to say the night in a nearby hotel so the Thursday is stress free.

On Ventura?? If so snap!! We are getting the coach from where we live! Safe journey and have a fab time

I am one of the lucky ones ....never been seasick in my life! But my husband used to suffer...until he invested in a pair of wristbands ( for travel sickness) a few years ago. He puts them on when he gets on board (before we sail!) and they stay on ...except when he has a shower.....until we get home! Since then he has never felt ill, despite a rough transatlantic , a force 12 (hurricane strength) in the gulf of Lion (mediterranean) this year, a couple of bouncy BOBs and some even worse bits down the coast of Portugal.

So , dont write them off. They work for him and they are a few £ in Boots. No side effects either.

And please dont take offence anyone....but if you go on a cruise you have to expect movement of the ship sometimes. You are , after all, on the mighty ocean, not in a land based hotel.