Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Casinos
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Cruise Casinos For those crazed about casinos on board!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Thad409's Avatar
Thad409 Thad409 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 208
Default You ever had a hot tip from Attendant

On my first cruise on RCCL I did what I always do after a hour or so at acasino,I asked a attendant if she new of any hot machines and was told about a $5.00 Bow tie machine,second twenty dollar bill,hit $7200.00
__________________








Rhapsody of the Seas May 2006
Carnival Fantasy June 2008 Room E122
Carnival Facsination June 2012 Room E122
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
nancronin's Avatar
nancronin nancronin is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 897
Default

WOW Lucky You! I'll have to try asking next cruise!
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:18 AM
maggy387 maggy387 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 46
Default

Can anyone tell me anything about the Casino on the Dream...any tips or hot machines???
__________________

12.May 17th 8 days on the Sunshine! ! !
11. 5-25-13 Ecstacy

10.04-21-12CARNIVAL DREAM
9. 05-07-11 FASCINATION E CARIBBEAN

8. 09-18-10 FASCINATION BAHAMAS
7. 04-17-10 FASCINATION BAHAMAS
6. 05-02-09 GLORY W CARIBBEAN
5. 08-30-08 INSPIRRATION G CAYMANS
4. 05-18-08 SENSATION BAHAMAS
3. 04-28-07 GLORY E CARIBBEAN
2. 05-20-06 GLOTY W CARIBBEAN
1. 08-27-05 CELEBRATION BAHAMAS
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:26 PM
vivavegas vivavegas is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carolina
Posts: 8,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad409 View Post
On my first cruise on RCCL I did what I always do after a hour or so at acasino,I asked a attendant if she new of any hot machines and was told about a $5.00 Bow tie machine,second twenty dollar bill,hit $7200.00
I'll ask for sure next time!
__________________


1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line



Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM
evergladesgator's Avatar
evergladesgator evergladesgator is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep South
Posts: 293
Default Hot tip

Absolutely, positively NO SUCH A THING. Your TIP was strictly coincidence. Better off to ask Santa or Easter Bunny OR Tooth Fairy. If there was such a thing as HOT TIP, the casinos would be broke the first day in operation. Sorry to bring the bad news but that's the way it is .
__________________
Not necessarily in order.

Carnival Mardi Gras (1980)
NCL Skyward
NCL Norway(x2)
Commodore Caribe I
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Celebration
Carnival Carnivale
Millennium
Discovery XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Admiral Emerald Seas
Ella Star XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Regal Empress XX
Scandinavian Sun (Sea Escape)XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
USS Antietam
Sun Cruz XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Carnival Valor
Carnival Freedom B2B (50th anniversary)
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Destiny
Carnival Sensation PLATINUM
Carnival Miracle 12/ 28/11---1/5/12 New Years Eve
Carnival Liberty 4/21/12 Casino VIP cruise.
Carnival Glory 1/27/13 50 or 75 casino cash.
Carnival Liberty 10/19/13 Casino VIP Cruise
Carnival Ecstasy 6/13/14 Fathers' Day getaway
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Sinppu's Avatar
Sinppu Sinppu is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergladesgator View Post
Absolutely, positively NO SUCH A THING. Your TIP was strictly coincidence. Better off to ask Santa or Easter Bunny OR Tooth Fairy. If there was such a thing as HOT TIP, the casinos would be broke the first day in operation. Sorry to bring the bad news but that's the way it is .
I've been working in the casino industry for nine years and this is true. As much fun as it would be to have "hot" anything, it's NOT true. There are NO such things.
It is a business just like anything else. You were lucky, not smart. Sorry.

Last edited by Sinppu; April 9th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM
grod19 grod19 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mount Arlington, NJ
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinppu View Post
I've been working in the casino industry for nine years and this is true. As much fun as it would be to have "hot" anything, it's NOT true. There are NO such things.
It is a business just like anything else. You were lucky, not smart. Sorry.
While I completely agree with this statement since you have been in the business you know it is best to just let us gamblers have our superstitions
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Sinppu's Avatar
Sinppu Sinppu is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grod19 View Post
While I completely agree with this statement since you have been in the business you know it is best to just let us gamblers have our superstitions
I do! I'd just rather not see threads where people complain about poor service when the attendants were NOT giving them hot tips
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Almost Packed's Avatar
Almost Packed Almost Packed is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,844
Default

best tip ever,
get up and walk away while you are ahead!

can't beat that tip. but rarely do i do it lol.
__________________
zip line in MoBay, Jamaica
The Original Canopy Tour, Chukka Park
**It was AWESOME!**

I'm almost packed for the next one!
Previous cruises
CONQUEST MARCH 2007 "L" shape 6450-1st cruise!
LIBERTY FEB. 2009 6469 balcony
LIBERTY April 2010 7440 glorious aft wrap balcony!
ELATION FEB. 2012 U165 oceanview
IMAGINATION OCT 2012 E188 inside
CONQUEST MAR 2013 6220 balcony quad
FASCINATION APR 2013 HAPPY ANNIV. MY LOVE
IMAGINATION Sept 2013 OV My first Solo cruise!

IMAGINATION Nov 2013 B2B
IMAGINATION Nov 2013 PLATINUM CRUISE
CONQUEST Mar 2014 1001
DREAM June 2014 Balcony 8450

ELATION July 2014 OV
GLORY Nov 2014 OV


"I am a neutral country. I am Switzerland. I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures."
Bella Swan-Eclipse

YES, I AM A TWILIGHT ADDICT!

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Sinppu's Avatar
Sinppu Sinppu is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Packed View Post
best tip ever,
get up and walk away while you are ahead!

can't beat that tip. but rarely do i do it lol.
Now THAT is a good tip. If everybody did that, casinos would be out of business

Last edited by Sinppu; April 12th, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
CRUISE4JANE's Avatar
CRUISE4JANE CRUISE4JANE is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Packed View Post
best tip ever,
get up and walk away while you are ahead!

can't beat that tip. but rarely do i do it lol.
Me too.
__________________


2001 Carnival Inspiration
2004 Carnival Conquest
2012 Carnival Conquest
2013 Navigator of the Seas
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM
mikel24m mikel24m is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad409 View Post
On my first cruise on RCCL I did what I always do after a hour or so at acasino,I asked a attendant if she new of any hot machines and was told about a $5.00 Bow tie machine,second twenty dollar bill,hit $7200.00
Not all slots are created equal

we play in casinos a few days a week in Atlantic City and we find we win on the same machines or lose on the same ones too

my belief is that machines in high traffic areas have a better win %.The casinos want people to see winners
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM
VideoTech's Avatar
VideoTech VideoTech is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel24m View Post
Not all slots are created equal

we play in casinos a few days a week in Atlantic City and we find we win on the same machines or lose on the same ones too
That's why it's called gambling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel24m View Post
...my belief is that machines in high traffic areas have a better win %.The casinos want people to see winners
No, that's not usually done. There's also the reverse urban myth, that you should never play the machines at the end of the aisles because they are set tighter, or because they are played more often and therefore are "cold."

The casino puts out a mix of machines set at different payback percentages, in order to hit their target income levels. They will often have different payback percentages set on the same kind of machines within a bank of machines.

It's the nature of any slot machine that someone will win on it, sometime. As long as they have the right mix of payback percentages on their floor, there will be enough people winning at times to provide the "come on" factor, and the casino will still make money hand over fist.

What the casino will do is to put new, or popular machines in locations that guarantee they will get traffic past all the other machines. Much the same thing is done in grocery stores, where the dairy section is always in the corner farthest from the doors, insuring that you'll have to walk by everything else for that gallon of milk, and hopefully make other impulse purchases.
__________________
NCL Pride of America, 3/15/14 Hawaii (POA review here) (Hawaii Rental Car Summary)
NCL Jewel, 12/29/13 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 8/5/12 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Dawn, 12/4/11 Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit, 7/17/11 Western Caribbean
NCL Sun, 1/1/11 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic, 8/28/10 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 7/25/10 Alaska & Glacier Bay
RCCL Freedom, 3/15/2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 11/8/2008 Eastern diverted to Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, 1/13/07 Western Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM
mikel24m mikel24m is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTech View Post
That's why it's called gambling!



No, that's not usually done. There's also the reverse urban myth, that you should never play the machines at the end of the aisles because they are set tighter, or because they are played more often and therefore are "cold."

The casino puts out a mix of machines set at different payback percentages, in order to hit their target income levels. They will often have different payback percentages set on the same kind of machines within a bank of machines.

It's the nature of any slot machine that someone will win on it, sometime. As long as they have the right mix of payback percentages on their floor, there will be enough people winning at times to provide the "come on" factor, and the casino will still make money hand over fist.

What the casino will do is to put new, or popular machines in locations that guarantee they will get traffic past all the other machines. Much the same thing is done in grocery stores, where the dairy section is always in the corner farthest from the doors, insuring that you'll have to walk by everything else for that gallon of milk, and hopefully make other impulse purchases.
Well than why do we go to the same area to play and its always busy.Everytime we go the same machines are full. Day or night ,during the week the same areas are empty and same areas are full.Usually the big money progressives that are new like godzilla are full and the surrounding area too and we see alot of people winning

I suppose its from alot of "coin in" that the machines are more active with bonuses and wins
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
VideoTech's Avatar
VideoTech VideoTech is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel24m View Post
Well than why do we go to the same area to play and its always busy.Everytime we go the same machines are full. Day or night ,during the week the same areas are empty and same areas are full.Usually the big money progressives that are new like godzilla are full and the surrounding area too and we see alot of people winning

I suppose its from alot of "coin in" that the machines are more active with bonuses and wins
Not arguing with you, just pointing out some facts about slot machines and how the casinos use them.

In general, most people prefer a machine that has many smaller payouts, over one that only has a few major payouts. The machines with many smaller payouts make you feel like you're getting something back for your money. You're more likely to get up and move on if you feel like you're just putting money in and in, and never winning anything back.

The casino doesn't care which machine you play, they still make their % on every pull of the lever or push of the button. But the machines with more "bells and whistles" (bonuses, games inside of games and so on) tend to attract more play, and having attracted more play, they will appear to be paying out more, as you suggest.

And believe me, I'm not suggesting that there aren't machines that payout better than others. Those would be the ones with the higher payback percentages, and it's possible to make a good guess at which ones they are by observing other players on those machines over a long period of time.

In the end, you simply have to remember that you are as likely to hit a jackpot on this pull as the next, and on any machine.
__________________
NCL Pride of America, 3/15/14 Hawaii (POA review here) (Hawaii Rental Car Summary)
NCL Jewel, 12/29/13 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 8/5/12 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Dawn, 12/4/11 Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit, 7/17/11 Western Caribbean
NCL Sun, 1/1/11 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic, 8/28/10 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 7/25/10 Alaska & Glacier Bay
RCCL Freedom, 3/15/2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 11/8/2008 Eastern diverted to Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, 1/13/07 Western Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:06 PM
mikel24m mikel24m is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTech View Post
Not arguing with you, just pointing out some facts about slot machines and how the casinos use them.

In general, most people prefer a machine that has many smaller payouts, over one that only has a few major payouts. The machines with many smaller payouts make you feel like you're getting something back for your money. You're more likely to get up and move on if you feel like you're just putting money in and in, and never winning anything back.

The casino doesn't care which machine you play, they still make their % on every pull of the lever or push of the button. But the machines with more "bells and whistles" (bonuses, games inside of games and so on) tend to attract more play, and having attracted more play, they will appear to be paying out more, as you suggest.

And believe me, I'm not suggesting that there aren't machines that payout better than others. Those would be the ones with the higher payback percentages, and it's possible to make a good guess at which ones they are by observing other players on those machines over a long period of time.

In the end, you simply have to remember that you are as likely to hit a jackpot on this pull as the next, and on any machine.
im not arguing either I just love gambling and try to notice things

We have a new casino here in AC called the Revel. I assume the slots are programmed to hit more often to attract more loyal players.I do find that the less I play the more I hit and cant really understand why.I do understand its time that matters most but why if I play $1 per spin and the person next to me plays 40 cents and gets bonus after bonus.It really cannot be random

I used to play a game called stinkin rich pennies and play max $5 per spin .I had so many hand pays(over about 6 months).Then it just stopped.Was the chip changed because it paid out too much? I dont think it was being in the right place at the right time when it hit so often
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:30 PM
barbatkins's Avatar
barbatkins barbatkins is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel24m View Post
im not arguing either I just love gambling and try to notice things

We have a new casino here in AC called the Revel. I assume the slots are programmed to hit more often to attract more loyal players.I do find that the less I play the more I hit and cant really understand why.I do understand its time that matters most but why if I play $1 per spin and the person next to me plays 40 cents and gets bonus after bonus.It really cannot be random

I used to play a game called stinkin rich pennies and play max $5 per spin .I had so many hand pays(over about 6 months).Then it just stopped.Was the chip changed because it paid out too much? I dont think it was being in the right place at the right time when it hit so often
was in AC in June and went to the Revel.......LOVED that the entire casino was non smoking........ yaay!!
__________________
54 cruises sailed..... Diamond on CCL......Platinum on NCL
Wish I was Diamond on RCCL


Upcoming cruises booked

Celebrity Summit - 1-24-15
CCL Pride - 14 night repo 3-15-15
RCCL Independence of Seas - Sept. 27, 2015
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:05 PM
VideoTech's Avatar
VideoTech VideoTech is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,979
Default

I like to be an informed gambler too, and I think if you're going to gamble your money, you should know as much as possible about the games you're playing.

First of all land based casinos are regulated, and part of that regulation is that the minimum amount they payback to their customers is set by their gaming commission or other regulatory agency.

Secondly, land based casinos are not free to change the payback % of machines at will. They have to have the changes approved by their gaming commission or regulators, and most of the time the machines are checked by that same commission or regulators to see that they are paying out what they said they were. So the common urban myth, that a casino changes the payback % of their machines from hour to hour or day to day, simply isn't true.

Much as you would like to believe that the distribution of "hits" or bonuses or jackpots isn't random, it truly is. It has nothing to do with the amount of your bet or the time of day or the phases of the moon, or the whims of the casino management.

Our minds are programmed to try and make a pattern out of random happenings. That's why we feel so strongly that a machine has cold or hot streaks, or that someone is getting more hits at a different bet amount than we are. But the random number generator in a slot machine is just that. Random. You are as likely to hit a jackpot on this spin as the next. You're as likely to hit two or three jackpots in a row as none at all for spins and spins.

You could sit down at a 98% payback machine and not win a penny for spin after spin, while someone sitting at a 92% machine next to you hits time after time. It's simply the way the machines work, and it's what you're gambling on...that THIS time they will hit when you press that button.
__________________
NCL Pride of America, 3/15/14 Hawaii (POA review here) (Hawaii Rental Car Summary)
NCL Jewel, 12/29/13 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 8/5/12 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Dawn, 12/4/11 Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit, 7/17/11 Western Caribbean
NCL Sun, 1/1/11 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic, 8/28/10 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 7/25/10 Alaska & Glacier Bay
RCCL Freedom, 3/15/2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 11/8/2008 Eastern diverted to Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, 1/13/07 Western Caribbean

Last edited by VideoTech; July 30th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
mikel24m mikel24m is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbatkins View Post
was in AC in June and went to the Revel.......LOVED that the entire casino was non smoking........ yaay!!
We love the Revel too.We kicked alittle butt last night

They offer the best comps I think ,we are both third level and they treat us good with comps.They have a new thing that just came out that is awesome $10 in comp dollars gets you $30 in food credit.We used to eat with our comp dollars one for one.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:23 AM
sweetjem sweetjem is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: VA USA
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggy387 View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about the Casino on the Dream...any tips or hot machines???
I think it's the worse casino and been on there 3 times and cruised 15 .
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.