Shipboard Spas Very Expensive

kontraxed

I like cruising and one thing I like is getting a massage on the ship. On my last couple of cruises, it seems that the spa prices have skyrocketed. An hour long massage with tip will run you almost $200. My wife likes to get a manicure and facial and they are getting ridiculous. I don't mind being "nickel and dime'd" but having to throw hundred dollar bills around is getting to be a little bit much.

I don't hit the spa when cruising myself as I enjoy those things at home in ATL. But I have noticed the spas offer considerable discounts on days when the ship is docked/in port.

Check out the posted/shared "dailles" for your upcoming cruise to see if that works for y'all and you can squeeze it in between shore excursions.

Donna

And their sky high prices don't include the automatic gratuity and the hard sell to buy products. Not for me! I last used the spa over 10 years ago. I think it was the hard sell on products that turned me off the most.

I like cruising and one thing I like is getting a massage on the ship. On my last couple of cruises, it seems that the spa prices have skyrocketed. An hour long massage with tip will run you almost $200. My wife likes to get a manicure and facial and they are getting ridiculous. I don't mind being "nickel and dime'd" but having to throw hundred dollar bills around is getting to be a little bit much.

they have always been an order of magnitude more expensive than anything on land, even the high end day spas.. for less time and more hardsell.

I get a full one hour every month( not 50 minutes) for $60 plus a facial or extra hour is an additional $70

so now I just schedule one for the day I leave for the cruise if driving or the day before I fly out.

Recently my daughter and daughter-in-law were planning to go to one of the local (Las Vegas) resorts to have a girls spa day. I decided to join them. The prices of their spa services there were every bit as expensive as on the ships...which rather surprised me. I thought the ship prices were because there was no competition, but apparently they offer the going resort prices.

Certainly we can get cheaper massages at strip mall places and other massage stores, but it seems if you want to be pampered in a resort you pay more....much more. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

For me, I look forward to my Hot Stones Massage on every cruise....part of the Pamper Myself Package. :D

And their sky high prices don't include the automatic gratuity and the hard sell to buy products. Not for me! I last used the spa over 10 years ago. I think it was the hard sell on products that turned me off the most.

I can appreciate that, but I've found it easy to turn off. Only used the spa on our 30th anniversary, but 35 is coming.

On most cruiselines don't they offer discounted treatments toward the end of the cruise or during port days?? Seems like I took advantage of that once. But yes, I think the prices are too over the top. Has anyone ever gotten a massage on the beach in Cozumel? I'd like to try it at an all inclusive resort we are spending the day at. I've heard they're cheaper but wonder how licensed these people are too....

The spa offers a $99 or 109 special everyday for a 20/20/20 promotion. You can get three 20 minute treatments at a discounted price and pay a $20 up charge for adds on if you are interested. Great way to get the same spa treatments they charge a fortune for at a reduced price.

Edited by julesbeara

On most cruiselines don't they offer discounted treatments toward the end of the cruise or during port days?? Seems like I took advantage of that once. But yes, I think the prices are too over the top. Has anyone ever gotten a massage on the beach in Cozumel? I'd like to try it at an all inclusive resort we are spending the day at. I've heard they're cheaper but wonder how licensed these people are too....

My dd and I each had a 1 hour massage on Passion Island about 7 years ago. I payed $100 total and that included a large tip. I don't know about how licensed these ladies were but the massage was wonderful.

You're going to have the cheerleaders after you, criticising a RCCL service & price ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

On my 1/23 Quantum cruise the next to the last sea day they had a special that I took advantage of - $99 for full massage and mini facial. It was wonderful (ask for Chelsey Redwood) , took about 1 1/2 hours, and was cheaper than what I pay at home. Looking forward to going back in April.

Anything done at sea is more complex than the same activity ashore (except perhaps boating); so expect the price to reflect that. RCI mist feed and house their Spa staff and rest assured that cost is passed on to the consumer.

Never forget that RCI is a for-profit business and sets their pricing (from fares, to drinks, to the spa) to maximize profits.