Roatan - Coconut Tree or West End

pcmom10

For Discover Scuba would you recommend Coconut Tree Divers or West End Divers in Roatan?

My husband did Discover Scuba in Grand Cayman last year and is a former volunteer firefighter so is familiar with the tanks and such. Our oldest son, 17, is open water certified BUT has never dove in the ocean, our middle son, 15, did a Discover Scuba with boy scouts last fall but was just in a swimming pool, and our youngest son, 13, has only snorkeled. Myself, I can't snorkel so am not even going to try diving. So, I'll hang out on the boat, beach, or the ship.

I was going to book through the ship but that excursion is already sold out!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We will be on the Carnival Dream the week of June 9th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had a great experience with West End Divers during our Carnival Dream cruise in March.

They picked us up from right outside the port area and took us on 2 great dives. One guy in our group had bad air consumption on the first dive so they gave him a bigger tank on the 2nd dive- really nice of them! Also, we had 2 younger boys on the boat, for 1 of them it was their first ocean dive and they both did really well.

Here is what I suggest for your family- see if you can book a 2 tank Discover Scuba trip, since everyone seems very new to diving. They will take you out to a very shallow sandbar to practice the skills, then all the guys can do 2 shallow dives together. Even though the oldest is certified, it's always good to have a little practice before you are in the open water.

What's great about West End Divers is the shop and the boats are located on this cute little street full of small shops and restaurants. So while the boys are diving, you can hang out with a drink or shop around. The boat comes back to the shop between dives so you can check up on how they're doing.

Also- we wound up docking an hour early and I called the shop. The sent the driver over early so we didn't have to wait when we got of the ship.

If you have questions, email me- blakehr at gmail dot com

• 2 weeks later...

I had made another post elsewhere and forgot about this one. :rolleyes: We are going with Coconut Tree Divers and the communication has been great so far. Since I won't be diving, they even gave me some suggestions on what to do while the guys are gone.

Archived