My opinion on Princess for solos

elycelynne

I just completed my 4th solo cruise (all 14 days), 3rd on Princess (Star, Emerald, Crown). My first solo was on HAL (Prisendam), 2014.

On HAL, I had Anytime dinner & asked each night to be seated w/others -- no problem; always a mix of couples & solos. Only 1 solo "event" by HAL -- a lunch table or 2 one day. Certainly NOT worth repeating!

On the Star (Hawaii) I had Anytime & asked each night to be seated w/others -- usually no problem. One night, the M'd offered me a table alone, but when I explained that "if I wanted to eat alone I would have stayed in my cabin", he quickly seated me w/others. Mixed groups, no problems.

Emerald (W. Med) I had 1st seating at a table for 6-8. There were 3 "older" ladies (friends together) & a lovely middle-aged man. We had a delightful 2 wks together. No "solo" events that I recall.

Last month on the Crown, I had 2nd seating w/6 -- a delightful "older" couple from Denmark, a lovely "older" woman from Portugal & me. No problems at all. On my "COMMENTS" email after the cruise, I told Princess that having ONE solo lunch event during the 2nd week was pretty useless -- why not the 1st week?

I usually have room service breakfast (hate getting dressed to find coffee!) & lunch is usually catch-as-catch-can. But I do like my dinner to be sit-down service & to meet & chat w/people. Never had a problem. Anytime is less enjoyable to me because it seems more hectic (on Princess) but not bad people-wise.

I just returned from my first solo cruise, the Star Princess 15 days Hawaii. I had early traditional dining (5:30) and it worked very well for me. I was at a table for 8. There were two married couples, two single women friends traveling together, another widow and me, a widow. All were very friendly and compatible. We had very pleasant meals, and great conversations. I had breakfast every morning in the MDR and always asked to share. Always seated at a table for 6 or 8. It could be a mix of couples or others having breakfast alone for various reasons. Lunch was at various venues, never in the MDR. I had been a little nervous about how the dining experience. Maybe I was just lucky.

• 1 month later...

Aloha! I returned this week from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Grand Princess from San Francisco. This cruise was exceptional. It was my first time to Hawaii and one of the loveliest cruises I have been on. The service was outstanding. The ship, although older, had a comfortable feel. My cabin was on Caribe Deck (Deck 10), one of the cabins with a larger balcony. I had reserved Anytime Dining which allowed me to go to the Michelangelo Dining Room at anytime between 5-9 p.m. The hostess at the dining room always asked if I was willing to share a table and each night I went to the dining room, I was seated at a shared table for 8. I enjoyed meeting and chatting with different tablemates each evening.

There was a solo travelers event with a member of the cruise director's staff the first evening at 6:00 p.m.; however, I did not attend as I wanted to take photos during the sail away going under the Golden Gate bridge. There were two solo travelers luncheons held during the cruise, one the first week which I attended and another the second week which I did not attend.

There were many Hawaiian-themed activities on board, destination lectures and Hawaiian Ambassadors, a husband and wife (Brian and Rowena) who led most of the Hawaiian fun aboard the ship.

The entertainment was excellent. I went to more than half of the production shows and really enjoyed the Princess singers and dancers. There was a variety of entertainment going on in the evening in the different venues. Lots of choices of activities to do onboard (or you could do nothing at all). The best part of the cruise, of course, for me, was visiting Hawaii!

I had such a good experience that I purchased a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard and plan to sail again with Princess in 2018. I just have to decide where...

Aloha! I returned this week from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Grand Princess from San Francisco.

Thanks for your review...I've been considering that same cruise! :-)

How was the food quality? And did you eat at other venues (buffet, etc.)? I'm not worried about the "solo" aspects of dining, but I am concerned about quality.

And what did you do in the Hawaiian ports? Did you do excursions? Or just go it on your own?

Thanks! :-)

How was the food quality? And did you eat at other venues (buffet, etc.)? I'm not worried about the "solo" aspects of dining, but I am concerned about quality.

And what did you do in the Hawaiian ports? Did you do excursions? Or just go it on your own?

Thanks! :-)

Dining: The food in the MDR was good. The Norman Love Chocolate Journeys desserts were to die for...

Horizon Court (buffet) was average. I had dinner there two evenings and a few breakfasts - nothing special.

I did not eat in the two specialty restaurants, Crown Grill (steakhouse) and Sabatini's (Italian). There is a $29.00 charge for these restaurants. Crab Shack was offered at least once during the cruise for $29.00 and I believe it was held at one end of the Horizon Court. It was seafood and I did not participate.

Prego serves pizza by the slice-very yummy- and is outside on Lido Deck. Alfredo's on Deck 5 also serves pizza with table service. I did not try the pizza there. No charge for Prego or Alfredo's.

International Café on Deck 5 served sandwiches, salads and pastries. It was delicious and I stopped by occasionally for a light lunch or snack. Open 24 hours and no charge.

Once each week, there was a British Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill. I did not attend. The bangers and mash sounded good the first week, but one can only eat so much! No charge.

Afternoon Tea was served daily 3:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. I went to one tea service during the cruise and loved it.

Trident Grill - Hamburgers, hot dogs, sausages, fries, etc. outside on the Lido deck. Never made it there.

Shore Excursions: I went on shore excursions in each port in Hawaii. They were all excellent. If you plan to go to the USS Arizona, book it before you arrive onboard. All of the excursions with a visit to the USS Arizona were sold out in advance and were not available onboard (I had booked in advance). Most of the shore excursions did sell out on this cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I had requested a table for 6 for fixed dining. I ended up being the 7th person at a table with 3 random (as in not traveling together) slightly older married couples. They were nice enough people, although I didn't really have much in common with them. They certainly didn't merit switching tables, but I would have certainly done so if I had been put in a worse situation.

I wasn't particularly referring to groups looking for singletons; however, very often in the past the person running the trivia would just make a general announcement to the effect of "We have a single person here looking to join a team in case anyone would like another member".

Just wondering if there was a roll call for your sailing? There are often others sailing solo with the same interests and then there may be an opportunity to join them - if you want.

I have a solo cruise booked on Princess for March 2019 so I hope the roll call is active :)

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone....I am sailing solo on the Regal Princess on November 1, 2018 and have Anytime Dining...I prefer eating by myself...as everytime that i get put at a table with other people...i get a look...like i am not welcome...and get ignored the entire time at dinner...I am a personable person, and try making conversations...but all i get are one word answers...and i can tell that i am the outcast at the dinner table... So i will be on that line for dinner at 4:30 and when i get up to the Matrd i will ask just for a table for myself...I am on this cruise to enjoy myself, meet people, and to have fun....and the last thing i want to worry about are dining reservation sitting with other people...plus you get out of the dining room faster, dining alone.

:):cool:(y):ship::wine-glass::tropical-drink:

i have sailed solo on princess and NEVER felt very comfortable either with dining or trivia events. i will sail again on princess when i find a price i like and the itinerary.

there is a very different wonderful inclusive welcome on NCL for me as a solo.

I have sailed solo many times on Princess and have never felt like anyone treated me poorly. I almost always get a share table in the MDR and I almost always enjoy the company (please don’t try to talk politics with me). One single time I asked for a shared table and there wasn’t one that was just starting dinner. I usually bring a book if I plan to dine alone and I didn’t have one with me, so I said ‘never mind’. I don’t mind eating alone at all. The only thing that gets tiresome to me is when I have to tell my story over and over. Honestly, the double top tables are usually so close together that people usually start talking to you. I do like eating in the buffet some nights because it’s faster. I’ve never gone to a solo get together. I’ve never had a staff person get solos together for trivia (HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, etc.). If you want to meet people I suggest you get involved with the roll call if there is one. I’ve met some great people on roll calls. I understand that they aren’t always active.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to be clear, I never expected the staff on Princess to "get solos together for trivia". In my experiences on Holland America, if I was looking to join a team the person conducting the trivia would simply announce over their microphone something to the effect that there was a person looking for a team and asking if anyone could use another member. I didn't think that was too much to ask, but apparently Princess staff did.

I've done solo on Princess, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity & just last week on RCI. Honestly, NCL is the way to go if you want to be catered to as a solo traveler. But that being said, I still love Princess & have never had issues joining others for dinner or trivia.

I have found on most lines without NCLs solo program - it's easier to go for anytime dining but if you pick a similar dinner time every night, you can end up with the same dinner companions. My last cruise with Royal, I ate most nights with a lovely couple & had very nice conversations.

I wish all the lines would do more for the solo traveler but don't let it stop you from enjoying your cruise (and definitely complain if you have an issue).

I think too much emphasis is being placed on the extremely limited single experiences. Especially to make the stretch to claim it's the standard of the cruise line dining.

EVERY meal is going to be different and NOT predictable. Maybe you will get a share, maybe you won't- on all the lines. It's purely that particular demographics for that sailing.

I don't expect anything. Every cruise is a new start and it's best to be open minded in my opinion. IF you don't want to dine alone, then you are better to be pro active with this. Nice people you meet during the day, inquire about a meal together. Standing in line? Small talk dinner plans. etc.

I have sailed solo on all my cruises (13? 14? I need to do an inventory). My very first cruise was on Costa, and they only offered fixed time dining. I was assigned to a table for 10 near the front of the dining room, and everyone was nice enough. But each night less people showed up, until on about the 4th night I was alone at the table. They served me just the same, but it was very uncomfortable [emoji21] sitting at a large table like that, very conspicuous because of the location, with everyone else passing you while coming in and out. It was my first cruise, and it didn’t occur to me that I could ask to be moved, and no one on the wait staff suggested it. I just figured that was my assigned table and I was stuck with it. For the last two nights, 2 nice couples at a nearby table for 6 asked if I’d like to join them. One of the gentlemen spoke to a waiter, and they were fine with changing my seat. After that experience, with subsequent cruises, I always choose the “anytime dining” option. When I show up for dinner I let them know that I don’t mind sharing a table; sometimes I wind up sharing, sometimes I’m alone at a table for 2. Either way is okay.

As for trivia games, I generally play alone as my own “team”. I have never felt obligated to join a team by any cruise line, although if someone asked me to, I probably would, to be polite. What I’m saying is that I never got the impression on any ship that they discouraged solos from playing. Roll calls for specific cruises, as other people have pointed out, are very valuable for those who’d like to make some acquaintances before boarding. Cruising solo is about freedom. Don’t feel like you “have” to do something if it makes you uncomfortable!

Pam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently sailed on the Crown Princess solo - there was an advertised special for solos (no supplement) for inside cabins in the spring. After I joined the roll call, another solo cruiser made contact and invited me to join a FB group. As a result of posting on the roll call, and joining the group - I sailed solo but with a group of 14 other solo cruisers. It was fantastic and if I were to sail Princess solo again I'd definitely look for other solos. BTW we did win a trivia type contest...and shared the bottle of champagne on our last morning - mimosas for everyone. ;)

I'm sailing NCL in February, I already know three of the solos from a prior cruiser and expect I'll meet many more. But it definitely helps already knowing others before you get on board.

In any event, any day at sea is a good one in my books!

Just to be clear, I never expected the staff on Princess to "get solos together for trivia". In my experiences on Holland America, if I was looking to join a team the person conducting the trivia would simply announce over their microphone something to the effect that there was a person looking for a team and asking if anyone could use another member. I didn't think that was too much to ask, but apparently Princess staff did.

I didn’t mean to offend you. I just meant that I’ve never seen a trivia leader ask that question and that includes my HAL cruises. That said, I never asked either.

I am an avid trivia player, and always seek a team to join, when cruising solo. Since having more 'heads' on a team increases your chance of success, I have found that groups short of the allowable max are very happy to accept additional members.

As a matter of fact, I have made some great friends that way, and now regularly meet them on other cruises. (We have won more than our fair share of games.);)

I have heard staff conducting the games encouraging groups to take additional members on various different lines...many times its the opposite....too many on a group, and then they have to split oversize groups into smaller ones. Usually its six, but have also seen four or eight as the limit.

I didn’t mean to offend you. I just meant that I’ve never seen a trivia leader ask that question and that includes my HAL cruises. That said, I never asked either.

Yes, you definitely have to ask, and I was always accommodated on HAL when I did so. I don't know if the Princess staff on the Royal just didn't want to be bothered, although making a simple request over the microphone doesn't seem to be all that much trouble.

• 1 month later...

See i am different....I cruise avidly....and have been put at dining tables with other people...but all tables that i have been put at, i was filling up that one spot at the dinner table...or i was sat at a table with a family group...and being ignored....or sat at a college group...which was not my cup of tea...after all the cruising i do, i deceided, that i was going to do my time dining....and just ask for a table for myself...I find i feel more comfortable...i get waited on fast....and much more, i am in and out of the dining room faster, to make all the shows that i want to see..

I know most passengers prefer the traditional dining, dining with other passengers, but i prefer to dine the way i like to...I also do the buffet, and the specialty dining as well...and i enjoy myself just like other fellow passengers do....I by no means am an introfert...I join in all activityies, dance classes, bingo, deck parties, formal nights etc...I just prefer dining by myself..

I frequently cruise ncl and over my last 2 week cruise I ate dinner with the group about 4 times. I had drinks with them maybe 5 Times. No one drags you to dinner. You show up or you don’t. It is a nice option. On Regal Princess I had my own table for two for just me in the evenings. I did the same on the Queen Mary. I have sat on RCCL and X at a table for 8 and it would be only me or 1 non talking couple. Uncomfortable. I like my own table unless I travel with a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

i just found this thread and i'm considering a princess solo in the next month or so because of super low rates. i am not a solo person normally. but even with someone else, i'm not really an MDR person but i did just want to clarify that for anytime dining its not an issue sitting solo?

i truly wouldnt want to be forced down someones throat as a 3rd wheel if i did decide to sit in MDR. and i'm not a very outgoing person to begin with. maybe wouldnt be so bad sitting and listening to them all lol?

just got off the regal in october so i'm familar with her and only ate 1 time there anyway.

i'm still up in the air about all this. solo would be huge step for me

I've only sailed Princess once (so far) and had assigned dining, so I can't speak from experience yet. I'm trying Anytime on my next cruise this coming January (next month).

I have done Anytime on Holland America, and my experience there has been that people are asked if they want to share a table, and as a solo I had no problem joining a table. There have been times when I've been reduced to "listener", but that was fine since like you, I'm not a very outgoing person to begin with (I do get a bit better once the ice is broken). If you're pressed for time on a particular night, it might be faster to share a table because you may have to wait for an empty two-top.

You might want to pose this question on the Princess board for more specific feedback.

i just found this thread and i'm considering a princess solo in the next month or so because of super low rates. i am not a solo person normally. but even with someone else, i'm not really an MDR person but i did just want to clarify that for anytime dining its not an issue sitting solo?

i truly wouldnt want to be forced down someones throat as a 3rd wheel if i did decide to sit in MDR. and i'm not a very outgoing person to begin with. maybe wouldnt be so bad sitting and listening to them all lol?

just got off the regal in october so i'm familar with her and only ate 1 time there anyway.

i'm still up in the air about all this. solo would be huge step for me

You can be seated solo at Anytime Dining; however, you may have a wait for a table (which will be a table for two). If you go around 7:30 p.m. or later, you should have little or no wait.

Also, you won’t be considered or feel like a third wheel in Anytime Dining if you choose to share. You’ll be seated at a table with others willing to share and interested in chatting with new people at dinner.

Have a wonderful time!

You can be seated solo at Anytime Dining; however, you may have a wait for a table (which will be a table for two). If you go around 7:30 p.m. or later, you should have little or no wait.

Also, you won’t be considered or feel like a third wheel in Anytime Dining if you choose to share. You’ll be seated at a table with others willing to share and interested in chatting with new people at dinner.

Have a wonderful time!

ah i didnt know they asked the larger table if they are open to additions . interesting