Scooter Rental - Miami

ladylyn915

Rather than continue an older thread, I thought I would post the most current information I obtained.

This afternoon I finally made my decision and rented my first scooter from Special Needs at Sea. I did it by phone because - of course - I still had a million questions.

Rental is for Pride Go Go Sport. Cost for 8 day cruise $208 inclusive of all taxes and fees. This rental amount includes full coverage with no deductible for damage or loss. It has a weight limit of 249 Lbs. The battery life is 10 miles. This is more than sufficient for my needs.

There is no gratis cancellation time frame. If the scooter rental is cancelled between day of rental ( for me today) and 8 days prior to Embarkation there is a $50 cancellation fee. If the rental is cancelled between 7 days and Embarkation, there is no refund at all.

I was told if the scooter is not in the cabin by 2 PM to call them immediately.

The agent, named Paul was a pleasure to deal with. He was very patient with me and answered all my questions.

Hopefully, this will be useful information for any other first timers:)

T

Rather than continue an older thread, I thought I would post the most current information I obtained.

This afternoon I finally made my decision and rented my first scooter from Special Needs at Sea. I did it by phone because - of course - I still had a million questions.

Rental is for Pride Go Go Sport. Cost for 8 day cruise $208 inclusive of all taxes and fees. This rental amount includes full coverage with no deductible for damage or loss. It has a weight limit of 249 Lbs. The battery life is 10 miles. This is more than sufficient for my needs.

There is no gratis cancellation time frame. If the scooter rental is cancelled between day of rental ( for me today) and 8 days prior to Embarkation there is a $50 cancellation fee. If the rental is cancelled between 7 days and Embarkation, there is no refund at all.

The agent, named Paul was a pleasure to deal with. He was very patient with me and answered all my questions.

Thank you for sharing this information! I will be calling them first thing Monday morning! :)

This is certainly good information for anyone needing to rent a scooter for an 8 day cruise R/T Miami and requires a scooter with a weight capacity of 249 lbs or less. However first time scooter renters need to be made aware of that rental cost is determined by many variables.

Both SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround (formerly Carevacations) base rental costs on the following criteria :

• Number of cruise day
  • Port of Embarkation
  • Port of Disembarkation
  • If scooter is to be deliver to a Pre- Cruise Hotel
  • If scooter is to be picked up from a Post Cruise Hotel
  • Weight and Height of end user*
  • Weight capacity of scooter*
  • If insurance is to be included ( SpecialNeedsatSeas automatically factors this into the rental cost. Scooteraround is extra)
  • *Important to note the rental company determines the type of scooter that will be rented by on the Height and Weight of end user relative to the weight capacity of the scooters available for rent.

NCL's only approved rental provider is www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com

All other cruise line allow both www.Scooteraround.com and www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com

Actually a Pride GoGo Sport has a total weight capacity of 325 lbs. Refer to this link http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/gogosport.asp SpecialNeedsatSeas has not updated it's records or website regarding its standard scooter rental.Therefore it's important to note the SpecialNeedsat Seas will automatically bump you up to its Heavy Duty Scooter rental if your weight exceeds 249 lbs. The 10 mile life of the battery only applies to perfect test conditions. Actual range of the battery can and does vary based on user's weight, terrain type, incline degree, battery charge, battery condition and speed.

Edited by xxoocruiser

XXoocrusier - as always excellent observations!

Prior to my decision, I spoke with Scootaround ( formerly CAREvacations). The rental cost for me would be $175 + $90 for full insurance coverage with a deductible + $10 cancellation fee. Upon research with my CC company and home owners insurance company, the rental would not be covered by either of them.

My choice was based purely on cost because for me, any scooter would be fine - as long as it moves - lol. I am totally able to walk, but long distances trouble my arthritic knees and I am tired of the discomfort after an extended walk. Ten minutes of walking in Walmart and I am limping!

Our cruise has four ports and I plan to use the scooter on two of them. Grand Turk has a ridiculously long dock to the Carnival Grand Turk Cruise Center. In Curacao we will go over the floating bridge and do some shopping. In Aruba and La Romana, I will walk to taxis. I am not sure how much I will use the scooter on board, but I am glad that I will have it in case those pesky knees act up!!

I think the bottom line is everyone must decide for themselves what will work best for them depending on their personal needs. There are variable degrees of mobility dependency. I have been researching all of this for months - hopefully this information will be helpful for others.

THIS is exactly what I was looking for for my father in law for our upcoming cruise!!!!! Thank you so much for posting!!! HUGE HELP!!!!!

Cheers! and happy sailing!!!!

You are very Welcome! and Happy Sailing to you!!!

XXoocrusier - as always excellent observations!

Prior to my decision, I spoke with Scootaround ( formerly CAREvacations). The rental cost for me would be $175 + $90 for full insurance coverage with a deductible + $10 cancellation fee. Upon research with my CC company and home owners insurance company, the rental would not be covered by either of them.

My choice was based purely on cost because for me, any scooter would be fine - as long as it moves - lol. I am totally able to walk, but long distances trouble my arthritic knees and I am tired of the discomfort after an extended walk. Ten minutes of walking in Walmart and I am limping!

Our cruise has four ports and I plan to use the scooter on two of them. Grand Turk has a ridiculously long dock to the Carnival Grand Turk Cruise Center. In Curacao we will go over the floating bridge and do some shopping. In Aruba and La Romana, I will walk to taxis. I am not sure how much I will use the scooter on board, but I am glad that I will have it in case those pesky knees act up!!

I think the bottom line is everyone must decide for themselves what will work best for them depending on their personal needs. There are variable degrees of mobility dependency. I have been researching all of this for months - hopefully this information will be helpful for others.

You've definitely made a good decision to rent a scooter and perhaps you'll use the scooter more on board than you think. Both Scooteraruound and SpecialNeedsatsea are both very good companies and keep their scooters well maintained. Most definitely the information you posted with certain;y help others. Hope you come back to post how the experience went after you return home.

In Aruba and LA Ramona you might consider taking the scooter with you. All Pride GoGo models are designed to breakdown to fit into the trunk of a standard car. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark of this link

to see how the scooter breaks down. The scooter in the video is not a Pride GoGo Sport but the sport breaks down the same way.

In Aruba and LA Ramona you might consider taking the scooter with you. All Pride GoGo models are designed to breakdown to fit into the trunk of a standard car. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark of this link

to see how the scooter breaks down. The scooter in the video is not a Pride GoGo Sport but the sport breaks down the same way.

I really don't think I will need it - and we are only going to Eagle Beach in Aruba. What would I do with the scooter on the beach? I have watched that video at least three times and it looks fairly uncomplicated. I probably could take it in a taxi to Dreams on La Romana, but I don't think it is necessary. I don't want to worry about the scooter while I'm at the beach. Of course, I could change my mind if my knees are acting up. It will be nice to know I have it (the scooter) if I need it!

Again, a heartfelt thank you to all of you who have taken the time to share so much information with me a "newbie" to assisted travel. I am happy to pay it forward when I return and update everyone on how the cruise went. It will be here before I know it - 55 days and counting!

I too went with Special Needs at sea for a 7 day Escape cruise for next month. It was $185 total cost. The scooter will be put in my cabin for when I board and it is to be left in the cabin when the cruise is over. I ordered it 3 months ago. Same details as the OP.

I too went with Special Needs at sea for a 7 day Escape cruise for next month. It was $185 total cost. The scooter will be put in my cabin for when I board and it is to be left in the cabin when the cruise is over. I ordered it 3 months ago. Same details as the OP.

For clarification for others reading this post it's important to note that since you're cruising on NCL you really didn't have a choice in scooter rental providers as SpecialNeedsatSea is the exclusive supplier for Norwegian Cruise Line and other vendors , including Scooteraround (formerly CareVacations), don't have access to Norwegian ships.

For clarification for others reading this post it's important to note that since you're cruising on NCL you really didn't have a choice in scooter rental providers as SpecialNeedsatSea is the exclusive supplier for Norwegian Cruise Line and other vendors , including Scooteraround (formerly CareVacations), don't have access to Norwegian ships.

I am cruising on the Carnival Vista

"I am cruising on the Carnival Vista "

Please ignore - I misread your post