Keeping your Camera secure while travelig

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Photo & Camera Discussions

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:53 PM.
Pompano Beach, Florida, USA
78 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Hi All: I have a question about camera security. I will be traveling to Rome before our cruise in sept 2018. Any tips on keeping your camera secure. What type of Camera bag do you use. etc etc.
This may be a silly question i know. Your input is of value to me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southern California
7,789 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Action Dave
Hi All: I have a question about camera security. I will be traveling to Rome before our cruise in sept 2018. Any tips on keeping your camera secure. What type of Camera bag do you use. etc etc.
This may be a silly question i know. Your input is of value to me.
Rome is nearly as renown for its pickpockets as it is for its history. How you protect your camera depends a lot on what type of camera you are taking.

A wrist strap for a compact camera will foil a casual thief. A DSLR can be more complicated, especially if you are carrying a bag with extra equipment. PacSafe has a wide selection of steel cable reinforced straps and bags with cut-proof mesh. Wearing a larger camera on a cross-body strap makes it harder to cut and run and a cross-body sling bag carried under your arm is safer than a shoulder bag.

Regardless of what or how you carry, situational awareness is your best defense. Keep your eyes open. Be aware of teams where someone (often a pretty girl or a child) will ask you a seemingly innocuous question while team members relieve you of anything you're not paying attention to. Avoid close crowds and stick with your group if on a guided tour. If you insist on taking shortcuts through dark, narrow alleys while carrying expensive gear, no amount of advice will help you.

Dave

Dave
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston

A cruise ship is my favorite camera accessory!
Maryland
416 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I just came back from a 12-day Baltic Cruise. What I used were two Peak Design "Cuff" straps for a DSLR and a Sony HX90V.. The DSLR was carried on a PD "Capture" attached to one strap of my day pack up on my chest. The two days we were in St. Petersburg I only used the HX90V as I had heard that pickpockets were handy at removing lenses from DSLR cameras.

Now that I am back I intend to make two tether straps out of "para cord" (so they don't get dropped accidentally when clipping in/out) and get another PD "Capture" to use with the HX90V. I had been stuffing it into a pocket.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

HAL Zuiderdam 06/17 - Baltic Sea Adventure
HAL Westerdam 11/16 - Mexican Riviera
HAL Niew Amsterdam 05/16 - Alaska Inside Passage
HAL Veendam 09/15 - Canada NE Discovery
Lady Rose MV Francis Barkley 07/10
Interislander MV Kaitaki 07/07
NCL Leeward 06/97 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Celebration 06/96 - Bahamas
Regency Regent Rainbow 05/93 - Cruise-to-Nowhere
C&O City of Midland 06/76
USCGC McCulloch WHEC 386
Pompano Beach, Florida, USA
78 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Thank you for your posts. I really appreciate the input. I will investigate both Pac safe and peak design.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charleston SC
2,128 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I just used a simple messenger bag and was just careful when around lots of people. (especially the gypsies around the Vatican. There were a couple old gypsy ladies who got into a fight. it was entertaining, but I did keep my hand on my bag just in case it was a set up to distract everyone and start pickpocketing the "spectators"). Main key is (like any city) keep an eye on everything, but not obsess over it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
This message sent using a piece of fruit.
Las Vegas
10,812 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I use a belt clamp. You would have to get at the lever on my belt to take my camera. Hard to do especially if it is under a shirt or

DON