Explorer of the Seas Alaska 2017 Reviews and Info

I've been searching for 2017 sailing reviews for the Explorer of the Seas out of Seattle. I'm on the June 30 sailing but I haven't seen much in terms of reviews, Cruise compass postings, tips, etc.

Anyone have any insight? What to do/not to do? We are staying in a Junior Suite, Port side, got the beverage/specialty dining package.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Just got off this cruise a week and a half ago.

Amazing time. Amazing views. You could do no wrong.

Going into Alaska (morning of Juneau) watch for whales, they're all over. They do a 360 in the middle of the Fjord several times so everyone can see the glacier. It was incredible. Get up early that day (5:30am)

Windjammer is SLAMMED for breakfast and lunch, was difficult to find seats even for a party of 2 at times.

If you have any questions specifically I would be happy to answer as best as I can.

Also--the cruise director is FANTASTIC. He is retiring the end of July so you will still have him. He is hilarious!

We are going on this cruise in July. Are any of the dining rooms open for breakfast or lunch? I have been trying to find information too but the app doesn't show much when I search.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off this cruise a week and a half ago.

Amazing time. Amazing views. You could do no wrong.

Going into Alaska (morning of Juneau) watch for whales, they're all over. They do a 360 in the middle of the Fjord several times so everyone can see the glacier. It was incredible. Get up early that day (5:30am)

Windjammer is SLAMMED for breakfast and lunch, was difficult to find seats even for a party of 2 at times.

If you have any questions specifically I would be happy to answer as best as I can.

Also--the cruise director is FANTASTIC. He is retiring the end of July so you will still have him. He is hilarious!

Thanks for all ththe info! We leave in 16 days and couldn't be more excited! Did you take any pictures of the cruise compasses for the various days? We are trying to plan out spa treatments and other activities and seeing these in advance would certainly help.

We are going on this cruise in July. Are any of the dining rooms open for breakfast or lunch? I have been trying to find information too but the app doesn't show much when I search.

Dining room is open for breakfast everyday. We went there 2 times to avoid the crowds and were pleased with that decesion.

For lunch-some days it is. I believe when we were in Canada it was not open for lunch.

Thanks for all ththe info! We leave in 16 days and couldn't be more excited! Did you take any pictures of the cruise compasses for the various days? We are trying to plan out spa treatments and other activities and seeing these in advance would certainly help.

I did not take pictures of them, but I do still have them for the most part (still haven't fully unpacked). If you are looking at a particular day I am sure I can assist.

I would book a Spa treatment for earlier in the day compared to later in the day. For example, the love and marriage show was in the afternoon compared to later in the day like on some other cruises.

It's been many years since I have sailed RCCL. I am wondering if they still have theme nights in the MDR, where the waiters dress differently each night. Sometimes, they would even parade around the dining room, very entertaining.

I did not take pictures of them, but I do still have them for the most part (still haven't fully unpacked). If you are looking at a particular day I am sure I can assist.

I would book a Spa treatment for earlier in the day compared to later in the day. For example, the love and marriage show was in the afternoon compared to later in the day like on some other cruises.

Hopefully this isn't too much to ask, and I really do appreciate your insight, but would you be willing to upload images from days 2, 5, and 6?

It's been many years since I have sailed RCCL. I am wondering if they still have theme nights in the MDR, where the waiters dress differently each night. Sometimes, they would even parade around the dining room, very entertaining.

Theme nights and the parade maybe, different dress not so much.

Hopefully this isn't too much to ask, and I really do appreciate your insight, but would you be willing to upload images from days 2, 5, and 6?

Hi, I took pictures of 2, 5 and 6. Everytime I try to upload them it says "failed. Trying to figure out an alternative.

See my last post now for links.

Edited by moschele

Hello,

How many times do they offer open ice skating and what days? (at sea, in port).

Thanks!

A

I was on the June 1 Explorer/Alaska cruise. They did not open ice skating for the general populace during our cruise week. My daughter and nephew kept checking the Cruise Compass and Studio B all week. We had some rough seas on a few days so that may be why. On another subject often mentioned here on CC, the food all around was very disappointing. Even Johnny Rockets was not up to par. Our best meal all week was our first night Giovanni's dinner.

Oh, and lobster was not served on the second formal night. It was served on Wed evening instead. Not sure if this was normal or not on this particular cruise.

:DThank you Novalab and Moschele.

I guess we shall make the best of it. I already noticed that "fab abs" seems to be at 5pm instead of 7 am. (That seems to be the popular time in Caribbean). My dinner is at 5:30 seating. I was going to go to that free class. Well, gotta go with the flow.

Was also hoping for some Zumba! And that doesn't appear to be happening based on other Compasses from last year.

If the food is bad that is OK... I won't be tempted. Ha Ha