Autoprogresso Tour Start Time?

msubobcats

I am confused. What time do you leave for the Dzibilchaltun tour?

I assume you walk off the ship, make contact with Autoprogresso at the pier, buy the tour...but then when do we leave for the tour?

Our port time is 7am to 3pm, and expect to be one of the first groups off the ship.

Thanks,

Go Cats

I am confused. What time do you leave for the Dzibilchaltun tour?

I assume you walk off the ship, make contact with Autoprogresso at the pier, buy the tour...but then when do we leave for the tour?

Our port time is 7am to 3pm, and expect to be one of the first groups off the ship.

Thanks,

Go Cats

Hi Go Cats:

Autoprogreso tours start around 9 to 10, and the longest to Uxmal or Chichen by 8am. Dzibilchaltun tour is 3 hrs, it takes 30 mins to get there and same to get back, you have 2 hrs to walk around the site and swim on the "cenote". Autoprogreso has to sale as much tours as possible before sending their tours to downtown to take the buses. Must of the people go downtown to see what's around before taking their tour with them, just make sure of the time they start. Their tours finish right at the terminal cruise and do not worry they are aware of departure time always!

• 2 weeks later...

We did just that, got off the ship at 7 but we missed the picture with the Progresso life perserver by doing so,:( and walked past all those waiting for the ship tours to the AutoProgresso agents. I would suggest just going straight to the free shuttle that takes you from the pier into Progresso and book your trip with AutoProgesso there, they drop you off right at there "office" as it's a lot less hectic and you get the same deal. The best thing I saw was all of the ship tour groups walking by the AutoProgresso tour price information and many having that same look of, " I paid how much for the same tour these guys are offering for $49!!!!!" Classic! Not only that we had a full size bus and there were only 16 of us on it! We went to Uxmal and it was truly amazing!

To; MROCT31: Thanks for your post, it had some good information. Can you answer some more specific ones about the Uxmal trip? Did you take Autoprogesso tour? Where did you sign up for it? Do you remember what time the tour left Progresso and how long you were on the road? About how long actually on site in Uxmal? I have read various online reports saying it is a 2 and a half hour trip to get there? Maybe that is with a built in stop somewhere. When you return to port,do you remember how long you had before the ship leaves? Sorry, for all the questions, just trying to get some good info to use!

Thanks, we are going on the Carnival Fantasy on May 2nd.

Did you take Autoprogesso tour? Yes

Where did you sign up for it? At the pier through one of their "agents". These are just people working for AutoProgresso standing around on the pier who book you for whatever tour you want right there as if not you may not make it to their "office" which is where you end up after taking the free shuttle before you board a different bus for the tour.

Do you remember what time the tour left Progresso and how long you were on the road? 8:30 am and we were on the road for more or less 1 1/2 hours but it was an easy comfortable ride.

About how long actually on site in Uxmal? 2 hours give or take. We left the site at about 12:30 getting back by 2ish as we had to be on the boat by 2:30.

I have read various online reports saying it is a 2 and a half hour trip to get there? I'm pretty sure this is the time frame for Chitzen Itza and that tour left earlier than ours as it would have to in order to make it back in time and I don't see how you could get as much time at the site with a 5 hour round trip bus ride!

When you return to port,do you remember how long you had before the ship leaves? We had 30 mins. to shop at the shops on the pier. We were on the Ectasy but the Fantasy was in port with us and had a different time frame from ours. We let off 4 of our passengers in Progresso a little before 2 pm before the rest of us continued on to the pier since we had only 30 mins left. It's about a 5 min. ride from Progresso to the pier. The group from the Fantasy had an extra hour so they didn't need to get onboard until 3:30. Assuming your cruise has the same schedule you should have about an 1 1/2 hours when you get back, but from what little I saw of Progresso I don't think we missed to much. I would rather have stopped in Merida as I was told they had better shopping but the highway we took went around the city and we wouldn't have had time to get there on this trip due to wanting to see the Mayan ruins more than buy stuff which IMHO was totally worth it!

I strictly used the information I read on this web site and everything that you read is right on the money. Just follow the lessons learned here and you'll be alright. Just so you know I'm on the level ;) here is a shot of the family in the Nun's Quadrangle with the East Building and the top of the Pyramid of the Magician behind us.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/MrOCT31/?action=view&current=IMG_3435.jpg

There is a lot more to see than just this so go go go and again

TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Thanks MROCT31! Your detailed answers are very helpful. I know I definately want to go to Uxmal with Autoprogreso. I need to discuss with my wife, but this is the way I want to go. We will be in Progreso from 7am to 4pm on the Fantasy. Sounds like we will have time to get a taste of the town and still take the uxmal tour.

Once again, your post was great.

Happy Cruising!

BamaBill

Bama Bill,

Here is my write up on Progreso. I was never able to get it to post here. It answers a lot of questions you asked.

I had been exchanging emails with Jerry from AutoProgreso about excursions. We had decided to do Uxmal ruins. Jerry had told me to get off the boat and look for their booth and he’d have my name posted as having reservations. I think it cost $69 if you booked it with Carnival…he had quoted me $55 per person and when we got there, there was a sign up for $49 per person. So we got it for $20 cheaper per person than booking it through the cruise. We took the free bus along the 5 mile pier and waited at the Auto-Progreso booth on shore for our tour to start. The market people were just getting their things set up and my daughter bought 4 lovely bracelets for herself and friends for $1 apiece. Let me warn you…they don’t believe in toilet seats OR toilet paper there. At the market place and at a stop along the way, there were no toilet seats…you just had to hover over it…and no toilet paper. Thankfully we had some tissues with us. We had assumed that we would join a bus full of cruise tourists also going to Uxmal, but were surprised to find out we were getting a private tour for just the 7 of us (we went with another family). We had a very nice air conditioned van, a driver, and a tour guide, Geraldo. Geraldo knew everything!! I still don’t know why we weren’t put with another bigger group, but we were happy to get the personal attention and we could do whatever we wanted pretty much. It was indeed a 90 minute drive there…not a whole lot to see along the way…the kids were bored. Once we arrived, we used the VERY nice restrooms at Uxmal…toilet seats AND toilet paper. Then Geraldo took us around to see the ruins. He was very knowledgeable. I know he thought we were idiots though because we were all fascinated by the number of iguana’s there were. They were everywhere just sunning on rocks, walking around. So here we are among all the grandeur and we’re taking pictures of iguanas!! There was one building you could actually climb and only my son and I took that on. It was very HOT. Even though it was only 84 degrees that day, we were sweating buckets. Glad we had brought bottled water with us. I don’t know how long the tour actually lasted…it seemed to be pretty long, and then Geraldo gave us 30 minutes to explore on our own. We were all so hot and tired we went back to the entry point and looked at some of the stores, and took some more pictures. Geraldo was very aware of when we had to be back on the boat and kept us on schedule. He told us we could eat at the restaurant there, or go back. Since I was the only one who liked Mexican food (we were assuming it was Mexican food) everyone opted to go on back to do some shopping at the market and the port. So back on the A/C bus and another 90 minute ride. The other family wanted to go directly to the ship so the driver took us right up to the ship. So we weren’t able to go shopping at the market like we had wanted, but luckily they had some nice shops at the dock. My son got a beautiful marble chess set for $18. Prices were really cheap…and MUCH cheaper than at Cozumel we found out the next day. So if you see something in Progreso, buy it there. It was a nice trip to say that we’d done it, but I don’t know that we’d do it again. We never got to see the beach at Progreso but while driving back to the ship, the water looked very pretty.

Archived