Japanese Kitchen Knives

The Wilkies

Hi fellow cruisers.

I wonder if anyone has experience of buying kitchen knives whilst on their cruise. Japan make the worlds best, however, they are extremely expensive if bought in the UK.

I was wondering about looking for some whilst in Japan in April, but wondered what the reaction would be from Princess to my taking them on board. Obviously I would declare them when I got to the top of the gangway and would probably expect them to be taken away until disembarkation day. They would also be carefully stored in my checked in luggage for the flight home.

Has anyone bought any kitchen knives whilst on a cruise and what happened?

Many thanks

Gillian

Gillian, what will probably happen is that they will 'hold' the knives for you until you disembark the cruise. I have seen dive knives confistacted in the past, so I am sure it will be the same with kitchen knives. But they will give you a receipt and return them at the end of the cruise, so I don't think you would have any problems. Just make sure that you pack them in your checked bags for your return to the UK, or you could loose them forever in your carry on. ;)

Hi fellow cruisers.

I wonder if anyone has experience of buying kitchen knives whilst on their cruise. Japan make the worlds best, however, they are extremely expensive if bought in the UK.

I was wondering about looking for some whilst in Japan in April, but wondered what the reaction would be from Princess to my taking them on board. Obviously I would declare them when I got to the top of the gangway and would probably expect them to be taken away until disembarkation day. They would also be carefully stored in my checked in luggage for the flight home.

Has anyone bought any kitchen knives whilst on a cruise and what happened?

Many thanks

Gillian

Before our Alaska cruise, I bought a knife in a kitchen store in Seattle, which I packed in my suitcase before boarding. While in Alaska, we bought several Ulu knives, which we mailed home. If not, our suitcases would have been overweight. As long as they are packed in your suitcase, you should be ok.

There is a small city in the middle of Tokyo - called Kappabashi.

This district contains many thousands of stores and shops that sell only restaurant supplies.

The shops that sell only chefs knives are probably more than 200.

Defiinitely worth a trip if you are interested in such things.

Archived