Bringing Back Fruit, Flowers, Seeds, (etc.)

tip

Okay we all know that U.S. Customs do not allow us to bring fruits, flowers, seeds, (etc.) from other countries into the United States and we understand and obey these laws as tempting as it may be for my darling wife, the biologist, to break them.

But, what about bringing these items back from the Hawaiian islands? We shall make a stop in Los Angeles before we return to New Hampshire from our Hawaiian cruise in September.

Thank you for your prompt response. It is appreciated. I had done a cursory internet search, but evidently did not hit the right sites.

Yup, they are very strict. When you get into the airport to head home there are scanner for your checked bags that you have to send your bags through before they can be checked in. And when you get to the gates there are more scanners for your carry on bags primarily for agriculture. Sorry.

There are some items that you can buy--i.e., orchids, some exotic plants that are grown by nurseries that are certified for return to continental U.S. Just look for those particular plants, or buy things and have them shipped!

Found a more definitive answer at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/fsheet_faq_notice/notice_hawaii.html

"Permitted Items from Hawaii into the U.S. Mainland and Guam (after passing inspection):

Beach sand

Coconuts

Cooked foods

Dried seeds

Dried decorative arrangements

Fresh flowers (except gardenia, jade vine, and Mauna Loa)

Hinahina (Spanish moss)

“Irish” or white potatoes

Pineapples

Rocks or stones

Seashells (except land snail shells)

Wood (including drift wood and sticks)

Note: Papayas require treatments before they can be shipped to the U.S. mainland. Commercially canned and thoroughly cooked foods are permitted."

According to another thread here, it sounds like you can get pineapples at the airport that you're permitted to take home with you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-629939.html

We did that once and I don't know if it was the luck of the draw or what, but the pineapples we got from the airport were about as under-ripe as the ones you get here in the on the mainland.

We did that once and I don't know if it was the luck of the draw or what, but the pineapples we got from the airport were about as under-ripe as the ones you get here in the on the mainland.

Well, that stinks! We've never had anything but good quality, nicely ripe, juicy-sweet pineapples to take home. OTOH, we've only bought them at the airport one time (when I forgot to order in advance for airport delivery). Those were in shops past security, so we had to schlep them onboard as extra carry-ons (no fee). Every other time, we've ordered and had them delivered to the airport. The best, the absolute best are Maui Gold on Maui, but you can't get those for take home on any other island. That's one reason we prefer flying home out of Kahului. (That and it's a smaller, easier airport than HNL.)

As an FYI to everyone: Mainland bound passengers are still allowed to check one box of pineapple each with no baggage fee.:D

beachchick

Well, that stinks! We've never had anything but good quality, nicely ripe, juicy-sweet pineapples to take home. OTOH, we've only bought them at the airport one time (when I forgot to order in advance for airport delivery). Those were in shops past security, so we had to schlep them onboard as extra carry-ons (no fee). Every other time, we've ordered and had them delivered to the airport. The best, the absolute best are Maui Gold on Maui, but you can't get those for take home on any other island. That's one reason we prefer flying home out of Kahului. (That and it's a smaller, easier airport than HNL.)

As an FYI to everyone: Mainland bound passengers are still allowed to check one box of pineapple each with no baggage fee.:D

beachchick

That is good to know, maybe we will try it again in September. :)

Archived