Alaska from Vancouver

DannyDisneyFreak

When embarking on an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver, one goes through pre-clearance of US Customs at the pier. This can be very long and a bit frustrating, especially if you arrive later in the day, say after 1 pm. That's what I was saying - just a heads up, really. :)

Pre customs is for non-US citizens.

Pre customs is for non-US citizens.

No, I'm sorry to keep bringing this up and believe me, I am not trying to nitpick or fight with you - the U.S. pre-clearance is for everyone because once you leave the Port of Vancouver on an Alaskan-bound cruise, you are considered to be in U.S. waters. This is actually very helpful as it saves everyone having to get off for U.S. Customs and Immigration at the first U.S. port in Alaska. I am American and DH is Canadian and we both went through, as did absolutely everyone else in line that day. :)

We had planned on doing this tour before boarding the ship. They advertise it as a pre-cruise tour. Should we not book this??

PRE CRUISE PEAK & CANYON TOUR

9am

MAY 8 - SEP 27

5 HRS

Approx.

Adult $149 | Child $95

Prices effective: Today - Sep 27, 2015.

Tour, Admissions & Tax Included

Pick-up times are one half hour earlier at Richmond (Airport) hotels.

The Pre-Cruise Peak & Canyon Tour take you to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain and the amazing temperate rainforest of Vancouver’s North Shore. This is your best option for a light adventure, half-day excursion into the stunning nature that surrounds the city. Stops include Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. We will drop you off with your luggage at your cruise ship terminal to board your ship.

Suggested Clothing: Comfortable clothing for the day including a warm shirt or outer layer. Walking shoes recommended.

We had planned on doing this tour before boarding the ship. They advertise it as a pre-cruise tour. Should we not book this??

PRE CRUISE PEAK & CANYON TOUR

9am

MAY 8 - SEP 27

5 HRS

Approx.

Adult $149 | Child $95

Prices effective: Today - Sep 27, 2015.

Tour, Admissions & Tax Included

Pick-up times are one half hour earlier at Richmond (Airport) hotels.

The Pre-Cruise Peak & Canyon Tour take you to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain and the amazing temperate rainforest of Vancouver’s North Shore. This is your best option for a light adventure, half-day excursion into the stunning nature that surrounds the city. Stops include Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. We will drop you off with your luggage at your cruise ship terminal to board your ship.

Suggested Clothing: Comfortable clothing for the day including a warm shirt or outer layer. Walking shoes recommended.

I wouldn't take a five hour tour the morning of departure. Capilano opens at 9:00 there is a free shuttle that leaves from downtown. It starts from Canada place. Try to make it on the first bus. It takes around 2 hours to go through everything. Well worth the money. Then take the free shuttle back to hotel, checkout grab bags and get to ship in time for lunch! Grouse Mt in May doesn't have all their summer attractions open yet, but You should devote at least 2 hours for that. Add travel time. That precruise package is just too late getting back. On the other hand- post cruise sounds nice!

There is so much to see in Beautiful Vancouver. Adding a day to your trip is the best thing to do. I flew from South Florida- who knows when I will be able to get back to Alaska. So if this is truly a trip of a lifetime/bucket list then add an extra day in Vancouver.

Last year we left from Ballentyne pier. We went through security, then check in.

There was a customs desk where you had to put your thumb print. Then you were on the ship.

Thanks for opinions and all of the info! We are flying home from Anchorage after the land tour part of the trip. We are flying into Vancouver on Tues evening and will be spending Wed and Thurs seeing the city and attractions.Boarding the Radiance on Friday. I was hoping to fit something in before we boarded the ship. We are going to be there the third week of June not May though so definitely want to do Grouse Mtn.

Trish

Fly Over Canada; is that like a motion simulator ride? I'd love that but my wife gets motion sickness from those.

Yes. It's very well done (mist spray as you fly over Niagra Falls etc) but you only spend about 8 minutes on the 'ride'. You sit in 6 seater benches (like a ski chairlift) and have an airline-style seatbelt, but I am not sure if it actually tilts - this may be just to condition the brain to believe it does, as it certainly feels like you do. All the best, Tony

We are sailing this month on our first RCCL and first Alaska cruise on RC Jewel of the Seas and departing from Vancouver. So we will be arriving around 5pm and our hotel is downtown. Any suggestions on what to do in Vancouver? Also, what time should we get to the port? Should we plan to do anything in the morning?

I love HOHO bus tours. The driver talks about the area and is fun to listen to on most of them. You can choose where you get off the bus and how long you stay at that specific attraction. How many minutes between drop off and pickup vary and you can plan accordingly after choosing the company. If you never get off a bus the tour completes in 90 minutes, but I strongly recommend getting off the bus. You don't have to buy your tickets early - just have them before you leave home. One great thing about these tours is you can start and end anywhere, so it is OK if your hotel is not near the first bus stop. I will do this in Vancouver the morning before embarkation and stop at the aquarium in Stanley Park.

Fly Over Canada; is that like a motion simulator ride? I'd love that but my wife gets motion sickness from those.
Here's some more info...

[YOUTUBE]gbmjyXQJGII[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]mELSwg__GoU[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I love HOHO bus tours. The driver talks about the area and is fun to listen to on most of them. You can choose where you get off the bus and how long you stay at that specific attraction. How many minutes between drop off and pickup vary and you can plan accordingly after choosing the company. If you never get off a bus the tour completes in 90 minutes, but I strongly recommend getting off the bus. You don't have to buy your tickets early - just have them before you leave home. One great thing about these tours is you can start and end anywhere, so it is OK if your hotel is not near the first bus stop. I will do this in Vancouver the morning before embarkation and stop at the aquarium in Stanley Park.

This could be interesting, do you have a link?

I embarked in Vancouver in Sept 2013, I stayed in the Westin Bayshore and had a walked to the Totem Poles in Stanley Park and then walked from there to Gastown and also went up the Lookout. A couple I met took a tour to the suspension bridge in the morning, I believe they booked the previous night through the hotel. We all made it back to the hotel for midday check-out and plenty of time to get the ships transfer to the port.

Here is my Lookout glass lift video: