New York Port? :)

Ours91

Hi everyone , has anyone ever cruised from the New York Port? How was it? Pros/cons best time to get there and etc. We will be cruising on the Glory in August :) Thank you. Also have a question about ES. We are booked ES and have seen no price drops as of yet. Is it possible that we won't have any , or it is too soon to see a price drop? Also , when there is a price drop , you must upgrade , correct? Or not? Thank you again.

The NY port is ok...definitely not as nice as others I've been to. We usually arrive around 10...arrived earlier last year and weren't even allowed to go through security and sit down for at least a half hour. The absolute best part of NY is sailaway....you have the Manhattan skyline on your port (left) side and New Jersey on your starboard side. After a short while you sail past the Statue of Liberty, which is awesome, and under the Verrazano Bridge.

You may or may not get ES price drops...just have to keep checking every day. You can request the difference in on board credit (OBC) or request an upgrade...the form allows you to choose.

Have a great time!

I have only cruised out of the New York port so i can clearly say that it is run very smoothly in my opinion. As with any port you should get there early... maybe around 11 ish. Once we didn't get to the port till 2 and it was crowded but not too bad. usually we are on the ship within an hour. Parking at the terminal can be a hassle so I would definitely leave room for that if you are driving in. If you are getting dropped off then no need to worry about parking.

You should check if other ships will be in port that day. If so its a good opportunity to take some pictures of all the boats together. You might find some NCL ships in port. the drop off zone is right infront of this giant glass window and the bow of all the ships is directly infront of you. Its a pretty cool sight.

I love sailing out of new york... waving to lady liberty as you pass by and going under the Verrazano Bridge is a definite hilight! Its amazing that the ship fits under the bridge.

Pros: As others have said...sailing down the Hudson, past the Freedom tower, under the Verrazano, past Lady Liberty are really really cool and may I go so far as to say goose-bump inducing!

Cons: Parking! If you are parking at the pier, simply hand over your walet to the person in the booth. $35 A DAY! I know, I know, it's a bargain for NY, yada, yada. Thing that bugs me is that the only people parking there are going on cruises (ie not a public lot) for which they dumped thousands on and the port is collecting both taxes and berthing fees from the passengers and cruiselines respectively. You'd think SOME consideration would be given. After all, this parking is on the roof of the terminal building!

I agree - I loved the beautiful sights at sailaway! It was really breathtaking, and coming back into port, I woke up about 6am, looked out my window and was treated to the gorgeous sight of the Statue of Liberty right outside my window.

My only problem with the port was trying to get a taxi after disembarkation. We had a 1:15 flight, which I thought gave us plenty of time, but we waited in a looooong line (over an hour and a half) for a taxi and barely made it to LaGuardia by 12:15. I was a nervous wreck thinking we would miss our flight.

Next time, I would hire a private car to pick us up.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Hi everyone , has anyone ever cruised from the New York Port? How was it? Pros/cons best time to get there and etc. We will be cruising on the Glory in August :) Thank you. Also have a question about ES. We are booked ES and have seen no price drops as of yet. Is it possible that we won't have any , or it is too soon to see a price drop? Also , when there is a price drop , you must upgrade , correct? Or not? Thank you again.

We sail 90% of our cruises from NY. I disagree with a previous poster, and have always found everything to go extremly smoothly, whether it's Carnival, NCL or HAL. We usually arrive around 10:30 a.m. Porters take our luggage, we go right through security and get our sign and sail cards. Then you are assigned a boarding zone number. Depending on the cruise lines, we are most often on board between 11:30 and 12. While parking IS expensive, is is VERY convenient when you want to get home after your cruise is over. The longer you wait to get off the ship, the longer the line is for taxis. Remember that these ships have 3000+ passengers all trying to get off at the same time and trying to get a taxi!

I've sailed out NYC as well. Pros for me is that I don't have to fly anywhere :D. We're having someone drive us there, since the parking is ridiculous.

As for ES. You may or may not see it. My cruise is next month and I got a bunch of price drops ($280) right around when final payment was due.

At the moment we are booked into an interior 1A porthole room. If we submit a price drop , and ask for an upgrade , can they upgrade us to a better interior , or would it have to go to an OV? I wouldn't mind being upgraded to an OV(I'd be happy!) , however I don't wanna be moved to a better interior , as we like the idea of having the porthole windows. Thank you.

If you get aprice drop and don"t want to give up your porthole be sure to say so on the form you submit. There is a small area where you can make a comment. You can always upgrade if the price of OVs comes down to within your price range. I'm in the same boat with a 1A and don't want a 4A,B, or C.

Sailing out of NYC is breathtaking even for a born and raised Brooklyn girl like me. You will also pass Ellis Island on the right. Have a wonderful trip.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

This is not meant to be a downer, but having sailed from NYC since 1992, really miss sailing past the Twin Towers! Not too many places on Earth you get to sail past so many historical sites. Have to go through the attic and find some of those pictures.

If you get aprice drop and don"t want to give up your porthole be sure to say so on the form you submit. There is a small area where you can make a comment. You can always upgrade if the price of OVs comes down to within your price range. I'm in the same boat with a 1A and don't want a 4A,B, or C.

Sailing out of NYC is breathtaking even for a born and raised Brooklyn girl like me. You will also pass Ellis Island on the right. Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you , so I should write that I would not like to upgrade my room , unless the price I paid becomes the price of an OV(for two people)? Let's say my price drops $50 bucks , and than it drops again another $100 or so and I'd like the OV room , can I combine that $50 OBC and new price drop money or I have to get both and paid a fee to upgrade?(If this makes sense , lol). I'm sorry this is my first cruise lol. Thank you:)

we've sailed out of NYC several times.....our first time, we took the bus (greyhound) from Syracuse to the Port Authority....it wasn't terrible....quick $5 cab ride to the pier....everything went very smoothly...

Since then, we've driven our own car in....we cross at the Lincoln tunnel and it's just a few quick and easy turns to the pier.....parking costs are a killer....nearly $300 now ($35/day)....but my husband prefers it...directly to the pier and directly in the car and on the road right after disembarkment...

I really wish there were more/better options for cruising out of Boston....it's about the same time drive for us and parking is less than half of NYC...(although, sailing out of NYC is a beautiful sight)....

We sailed out of NY on NCL to Bermuda.Loveed leaving port as others have said. Wonderful sights.

We stayed 3 days pre-cruise so took cab to port so no problems.

had no problems finding cab after cruise for flight out of LGA.

We always find a porter for our bags. They can get you thru quicker we have found.

My only problem with the port was trying to get a taxi after disembarkation. We had a 1:15 flight, which I thought gave us plenty of time, but we waited in a looooong line

Just cross the street to the uptown side of 11th Ave, there are marked Taxi stands with TLC Dispatchers. We waited five minutes.

Because thwere are so many NYC cruise terminal experts here, I thought I'd ask a quick question. We are driving in & are willing (not happy) to pay the parking prices at the terminal. We will probably arrive there about 11:30-12 noon. I read somewhere that, with 3 ships departing, there can be an hour long line-up to get into the terminal & parking. Is this true or does the traffic move pretty quickly?

We plan to fly into the Newark airport and stay at an airport hotel. The next day we cruise from the Brooklyn port. I have now found out it is not easy to get there from NJ. Does anyone have ideas on a car service from airport hotel to port? I wonder if it would be better to change our flight to LaGuardia and get car service from there. I know Princess has ground transportation to the port - but we need to get back to the airport for pick up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gail

We plan to fly into the Newark airport and stay at an airport hotel. The next day we cruise from the Brooklyn port. I have now found out it is not easy to get there from NJ. Does anyone have ideas on a car service from airport hotel to port? I wonder if it would be better to change our flight to LaGuardia and get car service from there. I know Princess has ground transportation to the port - but we need to get back to the airport for pick up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gail

Look at Hampton Inn on Staten Island. They have a hotel shuttle from Newark Airport. Once on Staten Island, which is part of NYC, you can take a car service to Brooklyn. Folks have used Village Car Service to go to the Brookyn port - I'm guessing in the $75 range. You can take Princess transfers back to Newark.

Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens are in a wooded corporate park. Hampton Inn offers free breakfast and Hilton Gardens, which is next door, has a nice restaurant. It's a nice enclave in the middle of New York City.

http://www.villagecarservice.net/

Archived