suggestions for 4 day's in NZ

delona

I have booked a cruise from Brisbane to Auckland at the end of May and will have 4 days before flying back home. We don't want to stay anywhere flash and want to see as much as possible for as little as possible, had been suggested by t/a to stay one night at some lake one hour drive from Rotarura and two nights at Rotarura and then back to Auckland. We would like to either hire a car and purchase motel pass that you stop when you want or a camper but t/a has suggested otherwise. I am open to suggestions of what to see and where to stay for those 4 day's. We have never been to NZ before and are more interested in culture and scenary.

We were on Celebrity Mercury last February from Auckland to Sydney. Before boarding we enjoyed several days on the North Island. If you've never been before, enjoy a trip to the Bay of Islands. It's truly magical! We rented a car from Jucy rentals (actually did it from Germany since we wanted to have the full collision insurance for our first time driving on the "other" side of the road for us), and drove north from Auckland. Stopped at the very interesting Kauri Museum and then on to Paihia. We picked our hotel after checking at tripadvisor.com Although it was "pricey" (maybe less so at the time of year you're travelling), it was wonderful -- Blue Pacific Apts. We booked the small studio, and even that one had a private jacuzzi on the terrace.

We did a great one-day excursion at BOI with the dunerider (google is your friend) and just had a fantastic time enjoying the scenery in New Zealand.

Have a great trip!

thanks sounds good have heard good and bad reports about bay of isle, sorry took a while to fight everyone off the computer so I could check my reply's. Might look at heading up the bay of isle way and then back down to rotarura.

I have booked a cruise from Brisbane to Auckland at the end of May and will have 4 days before flying back home. We don't want to stay anywhere flash and want to see as much as possible for as little as possible, had been suggested by t/a to stay one night at some lake one hour drive from Rotarura and two nights at Rotarura and then back to Auckland. We would like to either hire a car and purchase motel pass that you stop when you want or a camper but t/a has suggested otherwise. I am open to suggestions of what to see and where to stay for those 4 day's. We have never been to NZ before and are more interested in culture and scenary.

Kia ora i Rotorua,

Which NZ ports are you visiting? Both the Bay of Islands & Rotorua (X Tauranga port) are visited by cruise ships. If your itinerary doesn't allow a visit while cruising, & you drive from Auckland allow approx 3 hours drive north to the BOI or 3 hours south to Rotorua (It can be quicker if traffic conditions OK & you are used to driving on the left. Hope this helps

Aquarians

Visiting south pacific ports on our cruise finishing up in Auckland and then flying back to Brissie. Not visiting any ports at all in NZ but don't have to be back in Brissie until 4 days after we dock so would like to take the opportunity to spend some time site seeing. Rotorua is definently one on the agenda but not sure where else to go. Would like to see as much as possible on a budget

Visiting south pacific ports on our cruise finishing up in Auckland and then flying back to Brissie. Not visiting any ports at all in NZ but don't have to be back in Brissie until 4 days after we dock so would like to take the opportunity to spend some time site seeing. Rotorua is definently one on the agenda but not sure where else to go. Would like to see as much as possible on a budget

Kia ora,

Suggest consider at least an overnight stop in Rotorua & visiting Waitomo on the way to or from Auckland. Being the North Island's main tourist destination there is a wide variety and number of places to stay, ranging from Camping grounds, Backpackers to five star. www.rotoruaNZ.com & http://www.waitomo.com may provide some help to you.

Aquarians

Thanks

Great web sites, I am keen on free travelling and have T/A advising otherwise. I am to and froing with them over prices as I want a cheap stay so I can cruise again real soon:) we camp a lot in oz in fact every holiday except cruises so would be keen on either motorhoming it or staying in a cabin but so far can not find a reasonable price on a motorhome and T/A are quoting me around $190 a day to hire a car and motel which locks us in with our destinations. I think I might give the T/A the flick and be game and hire a car, grab a map and head for the glow worms, Rotorua and wherever we end up. First holiday without the kids:D

Archived