Choosing between Princess Grill and Sheltered Balcony

bananavan

I realize that this seems to be a bit of a strange choice, truly a first world problem.

I booked a Sheltered balcony Guarantee for the 28 day Norwegian Grand Voyage.

Just before Christmas I snapped up a Princess Grill 2 Guarantee.

The price difference is $120 per person per day.

We sailed on QM2 in a sheltered balcony on a Transatlantic and it was perfectly fine. The food in Britannia left a lot to be desired but we had decided that for this upcoming cruise we would use the Alternate restaurants instead. The Chef's Galley is wonderful and we also thought that we would enjoy Todd English a few times.

Now for those who might have been in both classes of cabin, is the difference worth the upcharge of $120 pp pd? The cost difference would allow for another cruise somewhere later in the year.

I thank you in advance.

I realize that this seems to be a bit of a strange choice, truly a first world problem.

We sailed on QM2 in a sheltered balcony on a Transatlantic and it was perfectly fine. The food in Britannia left a lot to be desired but we had decided that for this upcoming cruise we would use the Alternate restaurants instead. The Chef's Galley is wonderful and we also thought that we would enjoy Todd English a few times.

Now for those who might have been in both classes of cabin, is the difference worth the upcharge of $120 pp pd? The cost difference would allow for another cruise somewhere later in the year.

I thank you in advance.

Hello Bananavan,

I have not as yet experienced any of the Grills but, did do the Caronia Class on QE2 and thought the service and food was superior to Britannia Class on QM2.

If you can afford it I would absolutely book Princess Grill, the service is excellent and your cabin and balcony will be much larger, plus a bigger bathroom with a proper shower a very nice storage and bar area.

The Todd English Restaurant is very good, but, I frankly couldn't imagine dining there more than once on a cruise, it is quite rich and filling.

Have a lovely cruise whichever cabin you decide to book.

Jonathan

I thank you in advance.

I've done both as well. This is a hard one! while we loved the P-Grill(loved Queens Grill more!)I find that the $120/PP per day pretty steep. The food will most definately be far superior to Britannia(far less pax to cook for!)& your room space a lot more. The price to me in this instance just doesn't warrant the upgrade to the Grills. My reasoning on this, is, as you said, you'd like another cruise later in the year. If you weren't doing that, then I'd say go for it. As for me. We'd do perhaps Britannia Club. The Al a Carte menu is a little smaller than P-Grill, but you'll still get a lot of the ambience. If "Whitemarsh" reads this, he'll say damn the torpedos(or something to that effect!)and take the P-Grill.

Chef's Galley is very nice as is Todd English(a local guy to us)We loved the tastings in Kingscourt when they broke it into several restaurants. My partner being Chinese, of course really loved Lotus. We haven't been on QM2 since late 2010, but I would hope the quality is as it was. Hmmmm..28 day Norwegian Grand Voyage.. I certainly envy you on this one. I'd love even an inside just to do the trip! Whatever your decision, have fun!

We have booked only PG cabins on QM2 for a dozen crossings and cruises (and been upgraded to QG a few times too). The advantages of PG include, besides the larger cabin with walk-in closet and tub, access to the Grills-only area on Deck 11, the Concierge Lounge on Deck 9, and the Queens Grill Lounge on Deck 7.

In a way, PG is more exclusive than QG because the QG cabins outnumber the PG cabins 96 to 76. As others have noted here the PG restaurant is smaller and livelier than QG, and they both use the same kitchen.

Go for it!

We just returned from 12 blissful days (Christmas cruise) on Queen Mary 2 in a Princess Grill suite.

If you can afford it, pay the extra for the upgrade.

You will enjoy a spacious cabin with storage galore, including a walk-in closet, a full bathroom, larger living area, a nice bar area, and a larger balcony with proper teak lounge chairs.

PG dining room has better service, and while the menu offers no gastronomic surprises (nor does QG), the food is prepared closer to order and arrives hot, rather than tepid as is the tendency in Britannia.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm going against the flow here, stay in your sheltered balcony cabin. The uplift is over $6,000 and whilst the food may be better, the ingredients come from the same fridges and stores. PG is good but on QM2 the restaurant is in a poor position where you are/can be ogled by anyone passing on deck 7 promenade. The PG cabin will be larger. I use Todd English for lunch every time I'm on board but only because a crowd of us go and we have a lot of fun, otherwise I wouldn't bother. It is distinctly second rate and hopefully won't be there for too much longer. Were money no object I would go in PG, but otherwise go to Britannia.

Take the Grills, you will regret it forever if you done, unless you plan on booking a P or Q grills in the future, go for it and enjoy the best experinece :) you can book a sheltered balcony at any time, but you wont always get the chance of a Grills deal

The dining room is larger, food is better, you can dine when you wish and hardly a soul will look in on you when they pass by, if they pass by:)

Edited by rob6852

Take the Grills, you will regret it forever if you done, unless you plan on booking a P or Q grills in the future, go for it and enjoy the best experinece :) you can book a sheltered balcony at any time, but you wont always get the chance of a Grills deal

The dining room is larger, food is better, you can dine when you wish and hardly a soul will look in on you when they pass by, if they pass by:)

$6,000 extra can't really be construed as a "deal"!

I've no axe to grind, only ever having done the Grills.

Unless the Britannia restaurant is significantly better than every other MDR I've been in then I reckon the extra is worth it, bearing mind that you also get more cabin real estate, etc. But it's easy for me to tell someone else to splash $6k+.

Bear one extra thought in mind - if you have a PG Guarantee then there's a reasonable chance of an upgrade to QG, especially on longer, more expensive cruises where they can't fill every cabin at list price.

On our last Norwegian voyage we went from a Q7 Guarantee to a Q1. It'll never happen again, but what a treat!

I did my first sheltered balcony in Dec this year after doing most trips in the grills and really wasn't keen on it. It was only a short trip, so thought it might be worth trying. I really do prefer having a plexi glass balcony. I'm only 5'2" and found I could only just see out as the balcony came to shoulder height. I could only look left and right if I stood on the ledge under the balcony to give me more height which I know I shouldn't do but needs must!

On the QM2, I do not like the Grills restaurants at all - compared with the QV/QE they are vastly inferior in position (food is still the same though). I really hate QM2 QG as we always get a bad table for 2. These are the ones lined up in a run of about 6 behind a waiters station on the left hand side by the window and feel like a very long table of 12 with very little space between them. The QM2 PG was much better in comparison as the twos tend to only have 1 table next to it, not lots. I also prefer the location of the PG cabins on Deck 10, compared to Deck 9 QG as the lifeboats feel so close on deck 9 and are very orange.

Your decision but I feel you will benefit from PG more than a sheltered balcony. You can at least sit out sailing into/out of a fjord without having to stand up constantly. The weather can be lovely as we went in June and had 5 out of 7 days of glorious weather.

I've no axe to grind, only ever having done the Grills.

Unless the Britannia restaurant is significantly better than every other MDR I've been in then I reckon the extra is worth it, bearing mind that you also get more cabin real estate, etc. But it's easy for me to tell someone else to splash $6k+.

Bear one extra thought in mind - if you have a PG Guarantee then there's a reasonable chance of an upgrade to QG, especially on longer, more expensive cruises where they can't fill every cabin at list price.

On our last Norwegian voyage we went from a Q7 Guarantee to a Q1. It'll never happen again, but what a treat!

I would say there was indeed a very high chance of an upgrade, and that would be even better:)

If my math is correct, $240 additional per day x 28 days = $6720, plus the additional $4 per day Hotel & Dining charge = $112...So the total increased cost would be $6,832 :eek:

In the past, I've booked a Britannia balcony rather than pay the additional rates for the Grills because I'd rather use the cost difference to take more voyages. I have no experience of the Grills, so I don't know if it's worth the price difference. There's only one way to find out, I guess ;)

Bananavan, it's a highly personal decision. Whatever accomodations you choose, I hope you have a memorable and enjoyable voyage :) -S.

I am so grateful to all of you. I respect the opinions of everyone here who has posted, even if Whitemarsh has not chimed in yet. :)

All of you are the ones I had hoped to hear from.

I am trying to push the idea of the PG on my husband. We can easily afford it, but have always been very careful with expenditures. Salacia and Cap'n Pugwash, you and I are on the same page as to the cost/value ratio.

The carrot of a potential upgrade for such a long voyage is presently my tactic of choice.

The price I booked at is the same price that a Britannia Club balcony was going for. I took the PG2 guarantee. I swear it was a one day only thing and I was somehow supernaturally drawn to look at the Cunard site that day. Naturally, I think that I am positively brilliant. :D

I have until February 10 to make a final decision. I promise that I will keep you all abreast of the decision and also the outcome. (Because we all know I will end up taking the PG2 guarantee option.)

CruiseLuvva, greetings from one Welsh cruiser to another. My signature photo was taken when we emigrated, oh so many years ago.

Edited by bananavan

We've been in Brit. Club twice, once for world cruise, 94 days. Our last sailing, we booked a special rate for PG, got upgraded to QG. No one has mentioned one of our favorite things about grills--the lounge and deck for the grills.

At times I found the QM2 overwhelming because of the number of passengers. For our QG experience, we were on QV. We were delighted to have a quiet lounge to read in late mornings on sea days, and for drinks with new friends in the evening. The concierge handles reservations of all sorts, no lines for you at the tour desk. My husband was in love with the deck for the grills, with sun block, lotion and ice water at the door, and a cart came around with ice cream, then tea. No searching for a lounger, quiet, just a dream. So don't think of the extra money as an expensive meal, it's the feeling of being on a much smaller ship. If it weren't for our love of dancing, I don't think we would have spent any time in the larger public areas. Be prepared, it does spoil you.

We've been in Brit. Club twice, once for world cruise, 94 days. Our last sailing, we booked a special rate for PG, got upgraded to QG. No one has mentioned one of our favorite things about grills--the lounge and deck for the grills.

At times I found the QM2 overwhelming because of the number of passengers. For our QG experience, we were on QV. We were delighted to have a quiet lounge to read in late mornings on sea days, and for drinks with new friends in the evening. The concierge handles reservations of all sorts, no lines for you at the tour desk. My husband was in love with the deck for the grills, with sun block, lotion and ice water at the door, and a cart came around with ice cream, then tea. No searching for a lounger, quiet, just a dream. So don't think of the extra money as an expensive meal, it's the feeling of being on a much smaller ship. If it weren't for our love of dancing, I don't think we would have spent any time in the larger public areas. Be prepared, it does spoil you.

If the choice was a P-Grill on QV/QE, then I'd take it. The layout is so much nicer. On QM2 we had lots of pax getting booted off the terrace sun deck. You can pass between decks, but quite a few pax decided to take up "residence" on the sun deck's loungers. The attendant was contantly "carding" pax. We found it was French pax overwhemingly guilty here. Really don't know why that is. Trust me they can READ.

I recommend the Britannia and the sheltered balcony.

Why spend all that hard earned $$ on a dinning room?

The only difference between grilles and Britannia is the dinning

Everyone has full run of the ship

Unlike the traditional Cunard ocean liners

Of the past

Use the unspent $$ on another cruise

:D

I recommend the Britannia and the sheltered balcony.

Why spend all that hard earned $$ on a dinning room?

The only difference between grilles and Britannia is the dinning

Everyone has full run of the ship

Unlike the traditional Cunard ocean liners

Of the past

Use the unspent $$ on another cruise

:D

Not really. See post #4 and post #5 above.

I am so grateful to all of you. I respect the opinions of everyone here who has posted, even if Whitemarsh has not chimed in yet. :)

All of you are the ones I had hoped to hear from.

I am trying to push the idea of the PG on my husband. We can easily afford it, but have always been very careful with expenditures. Salacia and Cap'n Pugwash, you and I are on the same page as to the cost/value ratio.

The carrot of a potential upgrade for such a long voyage is presently my tactic of choice.

The price I booked at is the same price that a Britannia Club balcony was going for. I took the PG2 guarantee. I swear it was a one day only thing and I was somehow supernaturally drawn to look at the Cunard site that day. Naturally, I think that I am positively brilliant. :D

I have until February 10 to make a final decision. I promise that I will keep you all abreast of the decision and also the outcome. (Because we all know I will end up taking the PG2 guarantee option.)

CruiseLuvva, greetings from one Welsh cruiser to another. My signature photo was taken when we emigrated, oh so many years ago.

I'm "chiming in" now. :)

If you can afford it, there's no reason not to do PG; the layout of the suites are lovely and the PG restaurant is wonderful. I've never minded the location of the Grills restaurants on QM2, so what if a few people look in every now and then.

Deck ten is very pleasantly situated as you get a great view that is not as impacted by close proximity to the lifeboats, as deck nine is.

The best place to sit in the PG (in my opinion) is one of the larger tables down the end of the restaurant overlooking the stern. You will get a sea view from that location during the day.

I think you've made the right decision. You've said you can afford it; it's just a matter of you being naturally careful. I believe there's a time and place to treat yourself and this sounds like that time. Just don't let it stop you going on another cruise later in the year.

If it were a matter of one PG cruise or two balcony cruises, I'd go for the two cruises every time, but it sounds as though you can do both.

Have a great time!

If you can afford it and want it go for it, but, I suspect that there are many who can well afford the higher grades who are more than happy in Britannia. Well I know this is the case because I have spoken with some them

So why do people not spend what they can afford? Many just naturally look for value and don't think PG etc are good value. I read once that the favourite watch for millionaires is Seiko, they would no more be seen wearing a Rolex or driving a Rolls Royce.

And could it be that you will meet much more interesting people in Britannia even if they are French.

David.

I didn't realise that the Grills was filled with paupers whilst billionaires roam the Britannia Restaurant. The things you learn on here. :eek:

More interesting people in Britannia? I don't see how anyone can make that claim, or even suggest it. It's pure luck who you find at your table, doesn't matter whether you're in Britannia or the Grills.

Of course, as you are well aware I didn't say there are more interesting people in Britannia.

I realise I am red rag to a bull with you, but that doesn't mean you have to jump on every post I submit.

David.