No smoking on balconys?

RCI IS allowing e-cigs in the smoking areas so they obviously aren't worried about them exploding. The only fires I've heard of coming from e-cigs is using the wrong charger. This can cause cell phones and other electronics to explode also. Do you suggest RCI ban cell phones, tablets, laptops, ereaders, etc. banned also?
Well my example is not hearsay, it is fact and the correct charger was being used.

LOL! I should have reread my post before I submitted it! It was so poorly written! You know what I meant, though! People say the silliest things.
Please explain what you mean by people saying the silliest things? Edited by peteukmcr

I'll not smoke near you if you'll take off the huge picture of yourself that takes up waaaayyyy too much room! I hate opening cruise critic and having to look at rude posts with lots of large irrelevant photos. Do people not know how irritating that is?

Ha Haaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny.;)

You Sir, are the voice of reason and I always enjoy your posts. I am a non smoker and really don't mind e-cigs. I think they're less harmful than having 2 entrees and 2 desserts per night and being overweight. Or the same harmful. hmmmm

Hear, hear. An oasis of sense in a desert of ridiculousness. Why do people seem to think they know better & need to argue with a Dr?

Well my example is not hearsay, it is fact and the correct charger was being used.

Please explain what you mean by people saying the silliest things?

How do you know it is fact? How do you know she wasn't using the wrong charger? Because she said so? People have been known to cover up things like setting fire to a room. I assume she or her insurance company have insisted on the e-cigarette company covering all of that damage their charger did.

I get tickled by people who say amusing things. Such as, maybe RCI won't allow (even though they already do) e-cigarettes because of explosions when all electronics have that capability. It's silly. My daughter set fire to some clothes in her bathroom by laying a plugged in, turned OFF hairdryer on them. Should RCI forbid hairdryers? See how silly it is? There are many other examples, too. You just have to read the posts.

I did. I asked why e-cig users, who are technically non-smokers, are being relegated to smoking areas. I received a reply stating that the e-cig rules are under review.

Would you be amenable to e-cig areas separate from cigarette smoking areas?

How do you know it is fact? How do you know she wasn't using the wrong charger? Because she said so? People have been known to cover up things like setting fire to a room. I assume she or her insurance company have insisted on the e-cigarette company covering all of that damage their charger did.

I get tickled by people who say amusing things. Such as, maybe RCI won't allow (even though they already do) e-cigarettes because of explosions when all electronics have that capability. It's silly. My daughter set fire to some clothes in her bathroom by laying a plugged in, turned OFF hairdryer on them. Should RCI forbid hairdryers? See how silly it is? There are many other examples, too. You just have to read the posts.

Because she is a good friend who I know far better than posters on here and I trust her to tell me the truth. Glad we are of amusement to you. However, you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

I am arguing that people shouldn't make comments about smoking in general unless they have no vices themselves.

Doc, I tend to agree with your opinions, but I have to chime in on this comment. Smoking affects others, so it's one of those issues we should talk about - even though we all have our own vices. For that matter, I think the same applies to drinking in excess - ie, affects others.

I'll not smoke near you if you'll take off the huge picture of yourself that takes up waaaayyyy too much room! I hate opening cruise critic and having to look at rude posts with lots of large irrelevant photos. Do people not know how irritating that is?

Go into your User Control Panel. Click the "Edit Options" item on the left side.

Around the middle of the page is a checkbox labelled "Show Signatures" Turn that off.

It makes browsing Cruise Critic much more enjoyable since you do not waste half the screen with everybody's cruise history or upcoming cruises.

Go into your User Control Panel. Click the "Edit Options" item on the left side.

Around the middle of the page is a checkbox labelled "Show Signatures" Turn that off.

It makes browsing Cruise Critic much more enjoyable since you do not waste half the screen with everybody's cruise history or upcoming cruises.

My favorite post of the day! I had no idea this could be done. Pages load much quicker now and easier to scroll through. I owe YOU a drink!

...snip...that people shouldn't make comments about smoking in general unless they have no vices themselves. ...snip...
If I eat three entrees in the MDR, and perhaps am extremely overweight and sitting on my balcony, there is no way that you on your balcony are going to be affected by it. OTOH if you smoke on your balcony, I will most likely be affected by it.

What I do to myself is my business.

Wow, the things smokers say to justify their obnoxious behavior.

How can anyone say people are not affected by obesity or alcoholism.

Entire families have been ruined by the affects of it.

I don't deny obesity and alcoholism are real problems that affect many people and their families, but in a confined environment they won't have a negative impact on anyone nearby like smoking would.

I don't deny obesity and alcoholism are real problems that affect many people and their families, but in a confined environment they won't have a negative impact on anyone nearby like smoking would.

Children, partners are affected every day all day long by an alcoholic. Extremely obese people need looking after 24/7.

I would say this has a negative impact in a confined environment.

I just want to put a perspective on the whole issue of smoking which is not the only evil we have these days.

True, unless they are so overweight that they cause the ship to tilt to one side. Hate it when my morning cup of coffee keeps sliding off the table.

How can anyone say people are not affected by obesity or alcoholism.

Entire families have been ruined by the affects of it.

I was very careful to say that on a cruise ship balcony you would not be affected by a neighbor's body girth.

As to alcoholism, again, on a cruise ship balcony, unless someone is barfing over the side, I will not be affected by it.

See the difference?

Furthermore, I would venture to say that someone's second-hand smoke would have more of an effect than someone's girth.

True, unless they are so overweight that they cause the ship to tilt to one side. Hate it when my morning cup of coffee keeps sliding off the table.

You have made me laugh this morning. I am picturing someone like Mr. creosote from the Monty Python movie walking around the ship, and I must admit that if he did in the MDR what he did in the movie, then yes, it would affect me! yuck....

If e-cigs are primarily used for smoking cessation, than it makes sense that someone with one, should only use them where smoking is allowed. This than has the effect of thinking about smoking and slowing getting weened off of all smoking or fake smoking products altogether. Remember that "smoking" at one time was made to look "cool" in all the adds etc. before the health risks were disclosed. E-cigs are the same thing. They are made to look desireable, but yet, no one has determined if and how safe it is for long term health. Anything you put in you lungs in large doses can't be safe. Just how damaging it is will be determined down the road. This is just History repeating itself.

Children, partners are affected every day all day long by an alcoholic. Extremely obese people need looking after 24/7.

I would say this has a negative impact in a confined environment.

I just want to put a perspective on the whole issue of smoking which is not the only evil we have these days.

But again, I am not breathing the side effects of someone over-eating or over-drinking. My vacation is not impacted by the potential need of someone else needing more or longer term care for their issues. My clothes aren't going to stink because someone has three overflowing plates at WJ. My eyes aren't going to burn because someone sits on a balcony and drinks all day.

I may not be making the case as eloquently as I want, but there IS a huge difference here between over-eating, drinking too much, and smoking. Two out of three of those things have no direct and immediate impact on a person in the nearby vicinity of those events.

I was very careful to say that on a cruise ship balcony you would not be affected by a neighbor's body girth.

As to alcoholism, again, on a cruise ship balcony, unless someone is barfing over the side, I will not be affected by it.

See the difference?

Furthermore, I would venture to say that someone's second-hand smoke would have more of an effect than someone's girth.

Fair argument.

And what about the funnels on the ship? They are so dangerous that it makes a smoker on a balcony and any whiffs coming from it laughable.

Non-smokers and their fear of not living healthy should be more afraid of those than anything else and should therefor not be cruising. ;)

And what about the funnels on the ship? They are so dangerous that it makes a smoker on a balcony and any whiffs coming from it laughable.

Non-smokers and their fear of not living healthy should be more afraid of those than anything else and should therefor not be cruising. ;)

Please.

Please do some research before posting stuff like this.

Fair argument.

The funnels on the ship are designed to exhaust the smoke from the engines at a point where if the ship is travelling it will not make its way onto any area of the ship. In fact I watched a great show where they were designing the Oasis class, and they spent a long time in wind tunnels with models of the ship to determine the appropriate height and position of the funnels of that ship so that no smoke from the funnels would make its way back to the ship in any wind conditions. They were worried about the smoke from the funnels making its way to the Aquatheater. In fact the funnels on those ships are so tall that when they left the initial shipyard, they are designed to retract down so it can make it under the bridge, and then they are raised again.

It is both a minimization of risk, and more the fact that I simply cannot stand the stench of smoking. I am not exposed to smoking in my normal life and virtually everywhere I travel, why should I have to endure the stench while I am on a cruise on my private balcony? Look, I am the first to admit, I do not eat as healthily as I should. But again my eating habits do not affect you one iota. I do not smell, I use deodorant, and I am always clean. Can a smoker say that same thing?

Edited by reedl

The funnels on the ship are designed to exhaust the smoke from the engines at a point where if the ship is travelling it will not make its way onto any area of the ship. In fact I watched a great show where they were designing the Oasis class, and they spent a long time in wind tunnels with models of the ship to determine the appropriate height and position of the funnels of that ship so that no smoke from the funnels would make its way back to the ship in any wind conditions. In fact the funnels on those ships are so tall that when they left the initial shipyard, they are designed to retract down so it can make it under the bridge, and then they are raised again.

It is both a minimization of risk, and more the fact that I simply cannot stand the stench of smoking. I am not exposed to smoking in my normal life and virtually everywhere I travel, why should I have to endure the stench while I am on a cruise on my private balcony?

Yes, this is what the cruiselines are telling you.

But as always. There are two sides to the story, so to only refer to one documentary is very one sided.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/cruise-pollution-1/

I personally am not paranoid about anything as I let people live their lives.

I am off out now as I don't have the time to post on cruisecritic 24/7. :D

Have a good day. :)

I agree. If someone has a favorite picture of themselve it is simple to add that as their avatar like I have done.

Yes, one can do this but I like to see a poster's cruise history or upcoming cruise as long as these are smartly done as in brief. :D

I also try to remember to turn off the show your signature option when doing multiple post on a thread.;)