Transportation from Heathrow to Southampton

Bojac

What airport?

The OP says Heathrow in the title.

OP, there are no shuttles as such, but you can use train or coach services or a private car service. I would imagine a taxi would be the most expensive option, it's a long way. If you post this on the Ports of Call, Britain section, I'm sure someone will be able to give you details of timings and prices.

Is there any shuttle to Southampton from airport or do we need to take a taxi???

A taxi will likely be 150 pounds as London's Heathrow airport is about 75 miles from the city of Southampton. Alternate suggestion is that National Coach offer frequent and inexpensive coach service from Southampton's Coach station (a short 5 pound taxi fare from the dock) to Heathrow airport.

Is there any shuttle to Southampton from airport or do we need to take a taxi???

A company called Silverfleet offer seat-in-van for door-to-door transfers with others on the same cruise, but charge a flat rate of £59 pp. Not too excessive for central London - Southampton, but Heathrow to Southampton is only about £90 the car by pre-booked private transfer & no waiting around for others' flights to arrive.

Scottbee's £150 for a private transfer is more typical of central London - So'ton.

Check out these two, frequently-recommended by cruisers on CC.

www.westquaycars.com

and

www.smithsforairports.co.uk

Public transport is a choice between

Coach

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

Departs from Heathrow Central Bus Station (short walk from Ts 1 - 3) and from the concourses of T4 and T5.

Destination is Southampton Coach Station - ignore the "cruise terminal" option, which doesn't apply to your cruise.

Check the website's new luggage policy.

2 hours, about £18 pp plus a £5-£7 taxi ride to your ship.

or train

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

There's no train from Heathrow to Southampton. Your train ticket buys you a shuttle-bus (same pick-up points as Nat Express coaches) to a nearby rail station, usually Woking but sometimes Reading, then a direct train to Southampton Central station.

Although trains are usually quicker than coach options, the shuttle arrangement means same total journey time of about 2 hours. About £36 pp, again a £5 to £7 taxi ride to the ship.

No luggage restrictions/costs, much better frequency, but that switch from bus to train.

JB :)

PS Congratulations. You've no idea how many folk on this site mis-spell Southampton.

I'm bored with correcting them. Instead I've switched to congratulating those who get it right :D

I second Smithtotheairport. Used the service last year after completing a TA on the Queen Victoria. Excellent and efficient service for reasonable price if one wants private car/taxi service and willing to pay for it. We feel it is worth it, no hazzle with bus and luggage.

A company called Silverfleet offer seat-in-van for door-to-door transfers with others on the same cruise, but charge a flat rate of £59 pp. Not too excessive for central London - Southampton, but Heathrow to Southampton is only about £90 the car by pre-booked private transfer & no waiting around for others' flights to arrive.

Scottbee's £150 for a private transfer is more typical of central London - So'ton.

Check out these two, frequently-recommended by cruisers on CC.

www.westquaycars.com

and

www.smithsforairports.co.uk

Public transport is a choice between

Coach

Departs from Heathrow Central Bus Station (short walk from Ts 1 - 3) and from the concourses of T4 and T5.

Destination is Southampton Coach Station - ignore the "cruise terminal" option, which doesn't apply to your cruise.

or train

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

There's no train from Heathrow to Southampton. Your train ticket buys you a shuttle-bus (same pick-up points as Nat Express coaches) to a nearby rail station, usually Woking but sometimes Reading, then a direct train to Southampton Central station.

Although trains are usually quicker than coach options, the shuttle arrangement means same total journey time of about 2 hours. About £36 pp, again a £5 to £7 taxi ride to the ship.

No luggage restrictions/costs, much better frequency, but that switch from bus to train.

JB :)

PS Congratulations. You've no idea how many folk on this site mis-spell Southampton.

I'm bored with correcting them. Instead I've switched to congratulating those who get it right :D

the real trick is knowing how to pronounce Beaulieu

I would check with the cruiseline to see if they offer a shuttle. We used Celebrity's shuttle from Southhampton to Heathrow and I was really happy with the service. I can't recall the exact amount paid, but I think it was about $50 per person.

Highly recommend Woodford Chauffeurs. We used them for our group of nine coming in on the Eurostar from Paris. They were waiting for us at the train station and proceeded to take us to Southampton. Also, picked us up on the return to take us to Heathrow via Stonehenge. So prompt and courteous. Would not hesitate to use them again.

• 4 months later...

INDEED this is the best advice, have done this before and will do it again in 2013

Archived