Another Cruiseship Accident

sapper1

Just found Andrew Lock on Facebook and he has 3 photos posted that show it is more than minor damage to their cruise ship.... http://www.facebook.com/theandrewlock

The photos of the Cargo ship look really bad. The bridge is gone, absolutely gone:(

He also has a Video up that describes exactly what happened.

Joanie

The one time I was on Silversea my impression was fantastic on the extras but mediocre or less on the basics. This obviously hasn't changed my impression.

And so close to where I was on the Zaandam.

This isn't the ship Randyk47 is on, is it?

Roy

Whats amazing is this guy broke the story on facebook on FRIDAY and it's just now leaking out to us on Monday? Else is it because of time zones that his is marked friday but was really some day closer to today? LOL I suck with time zones when they are not US or Europe.

Whats amazing is this guy broke the story on facebook on FRIDAY and it's just now leaking out to us on Monday? Else is it because of time zones that his is marked friday but was really some day closer to today? LOL I suck with time zones when they are not US or Europe.

Even more amazing. Across the International Dateline it's actually 12 or so hours later than here in the east. It's now 2PM Monday my time and about 2AM Tuesday in Vietnam.

Roy

The accident happened at Viet Nam....

Randy and his DW are in the Med, aren't they?

These accidents are starting to get to me. I'm going to stop reading about them. They certainly aren't doing the cruise industry any good. :(

In a statement, Silversea Cruises said the Silver Shadow "was involved in a minor incident on March 16, 2012, at around 4:20 GMT as it was approaching the pilot station in Ha Long Bay, Vietnam. There was contact between Silver Shadow and a local commercial vessel. Silver Shadow incurred limited minor dents and guests' safety was never compromised. The ship was fully operational and continued on its course to Ha Long Bay, where all shore tours operated normally."

OK, gonna try something I've never done and hope it works.

Andrew Lock is the one who was on the Passenger ship when it hit the cargo ship off the coast of Vietnam. It is his Face Book Page that apparently broke the news of this latest disaster at sea.

Since many have problems with links etc., I am hoping he does not mind my using him here, since all the news agencies are doing it and he mentions that they are doing so.

This is what he posted from the start to the video, which seems to have been the last post:

You're not gonna believe this, but I'm on the Italian cruise liner Silversea Silver Shadow in Vietnam, and we just crashed into another ship! I know this sounds like a joke, but im not kidding.

It's a really foggy day and out of the fog appeared a large container style ship. I was in the observation lounge at the front of the ship, I instinctively stood up, and watched our cruise ship plow into the middle of the side of the ship! it was sickening. The smaller ship rolled over and i honestly thought it would capsize, but it just stopped short and righted, with a gaping hole in the side. It then slid alongside our ship. By this time the disbelief turned into intense activity and we realized the alarm was sounding.

Immediately the ships alarm sounded 7 short and one long blast and we were hurried back to our cabin to get our life jackets.

we went to our muster station where we waited about 15 mins. The captain then said they were assessing the damage. That's all I can tell you for now, It was a dramatic crash. It I think the ship is operational still. The crew are very shaken up, as are we!

We struck the other ship in several places, piercing a hole in the bow of our ship, the strongest part

487877_10150621534931935_726176934_9391138_1952945995_n.jpg

More damage to our ship, silversea Shadow in Vietnam

479957_10150621533506935_726176934_9391129_445384414_n.jpg

Part of the damage to our Silversea Shadow ship. We crashed into a Vietnamese cargo ship in thick fog, in Vietnam

483093_10150621532371935_726176934_9391119_231969005_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the bridge of the other ship

417992_10150616337711935_726176934_9371818_113116858_n.jpg

The Video Link is Here where he explains what happened as he watched in horror:

Title:We just docked on Hong Kong, heres what happened.

Here is his Face Book Page so you can see more or follow along if there is more info coming: http://www.facebook.com/theandrewlock

Joanie

The one time I was on Silversea my impression was fantastic on the extras but mediocre or less on the basics. This obviously hasn't changed my impression.

And so close to where I was on the Zaandam.

This isn't the ship Randyk47 is on, is it?

Roy

I don't think so, I think he's doing a Mediterranean Cruise.

Thanks Snapper for alerting us to the story. Also thanks Joanie for bring Andrew Lock face book information up front. Though the damage looks bad to the Silversea Silver Shadow it really is mainly scraping damage with some denting, but the damage to the container ship was major. I am surprised because Silversea's ships are somewhat small, but it looks like the container ship must have been smaller.

That terrible, I hope everyone is ok. How is it in this modern world two ships collide. Radar usually works in fog and the article said they were also sounding their fog horns regularly. Amazing.

That's what I couldn't figure out:confused: With all the safety gadgets these ships have, how could this have happened:confused:

Archived