Question re HAL smoking policy

sp2

I was going to post to yesterday's thread but it is closed. There is an article on Cruise Critic detailing the various cruise line's smoking policies. It states only Carnival and NCL still allow smoking on balconies. Yesterday's thread was regarding smoking on HAL balconies and it sounds like it is still allowed. Can anyone confirm which is the correct info?

Thanks!

Thank you for the replies.

Perhaps the article could be updated with more current info. The correct information is included later in the article, under the Holland America Line heading.

The problem with doing a search of the threads is that a lot of the cruise lines are in the process of changing their smoking policies in the past couple of years, so you cannot always be sure that your search is reflecting the most current information for the cruise line.

I was going to post to yesterday's thread but it is closed. There is an article on Cruise Critic detailing the various cruise line's smoking policies. It states only Carnival and NCL still allow smoking on balconies. Yesterday's thread was regarding smoking on HAL balconies and it sounds like it is still allowed. Can anyone confirm which is the correct info?

Thanks!

sp2, The information is on HAL's website:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Is+Smoking+Allowed+On+Board?&WT.ac=PopTop_Smoking

Edited by kjw869

and now the OP will understand why the other thread was closed:p:rolleyes:

Smoking is a hot topic on these boards. Many just sit on the sidelines and start our popcorn.

Seriously, yes smoking is allowed on HAL balconies and a few other spaces.

The policy is not liberal as the rest of the locations are very limited but it is allowed on balconies.

Now, be prepared - as I am about to melt butter for the popcorn ;)

Yes, HAL still allows smoking on the balconies and many of us have not been bothered by it.

Diane

And needless to say, many others do not want to inhale second hand smoke!

Yes, HAL still allows smoking on the balconies and many of us have not been bothered by it.

Diane

I was not too bothered by balcony smoking on the Westerdam last week until we woke up one morning intending to have room service breakfast on the veranda and found 17 cigarette butts (my sister counted) scattered about. It was disgusting, and I think I will skip HAL until they change their smoking policy.

I was not too bothered by balcony smoking on the Westerdam last week until we woke up one morning intending to have room service breakfast on the veranda and found 17 cigarette butts (my sister counted) scattered about. It was disgusting, and I think I will skip HAL until they change their smoking policy.

Maybe after someone careless starts a fire (again) they will amend the policy for the safety of the ship.

Maybe after someone careless starts a fire (again) they will amend the policy for the safety of the ship.

As far as I know there has never been a fire on a cruise ship started by a cigarette. It is thought the Star Princess fire may have been caused by a cigarette, but never proven.

What's wrong with (some) of you people?

The OP asked a very simple question, which required one response. As is customary, the usual suspects (both for and against) decide it's time to start the fight again.

The irony is, squabbling about the smoking policy here on Cruise Critic is going to do exactly 0 to influence this policy. Why not direct your energy to communicating directly with HAL about your opinion? At least that way, you'll be directing your rage at people who can actually affect change.

This sort of nonsense is what makes the HAL message board on CC so unfriendly seeming to people seeking answers.