Service Charge Questions please.....

anitsiva

I just read that the Kids Club staff are not included in the Service Charge. Is it customary to tip the kids club crew and if so how much for a week long cruise? We have 2 kids that will be using the club periodically throughout the week. I am sorry to say we did not tip them on our last NCL as I assumed that they were included.

Also, we are thinking of prepaying the service charge to limit our on board expense. What are the disadvantages to prepaying? Is there the potential to not recieve the best service since the staff may be aware of who has prepaid?

I just read that the Kids Club staff are not included in the Service Charge. Is it customary to tip the kids club crew and if so how much for a week long cruise? We have 2 kids that will be using the club periodically throughout the week. I am sorry to say we did not tip them on our last NCL as I assumed that they were included.

Also, we are thinking of prepaying the service charge to limit our on board expense. What are the disadvantages to prepaying? Is there the potential to not recieve the best service since the staff may be aware of who has prepaid?

Tip what you think is adequate. As always tipping is a personal matter and entirely up to you. Prepaying DSC will have ZERO impact on how wonderfully you will be taken care of on an NCL ship! :)

The only disadvantage to pre-paying the service charge is you don't have control of the money, there will be no decline in service because of it. As for the kids crew, tip whatever you feel is warranted (we have left them $20 for one child that made moderate use of their services). We've also left STYLE cards for them (although they are called something different now).

The only disadvantage to pre-paying the service charge is you don't have control of the money.

Uh you never have control over the DSC other than either paying it or not. Where, or to whom it goes is 100% up to NCL. You either pay it up front or at the end. No difference other than that. We prefer to pay up front and minimize ay balance due at the end of our cruise. Maybe I am missing what it is you are saying...

Uh you never have control over the DSC other than either paying it or not. Where, or to whom it goes is 100% up to NCL. You either pay it up front or at the end. No difference other than that. We prefer to pay up front and minimize ay balance due at the end of our cruise. Maybe I am missing what it is you are saying...

You did miss it, but that's okay:). I meant that if you pre-pay it, say, 30 days before the cruise you lose the use of the money in the interim (as in you aren't earning interest, you don't have it available for other things, etc.). (And I personally like to pre-pay as much as I can, also.)

Edited by sparks1093

Thank you for the very civil reply. Whew god knows we didn't heed yet another 'am not - are too' thread going here... :)

What means more to ANY staff member is a " Vacation Hero Card". What get said on those cards can mean a promotion, a reward to the person with the most positive cards in a particular department, often will determine who will and will not be offered another contract. What makes the "Vacation Hero" program different from the old "STYLE" program is who can be nominated as a "Vacation Hero. Under the old system, it was meant for housekeepers, wait staff bar etc. Under the "Vacation Hero" anyone from the Captain, Hotel Director and down can be nominated and rewarded in some manner. Department Heads have been know to read cards for specific people in their weekly meetings. The "Vacation Hero" cards mean a lot to everyone. Please take the time to fill them out.

The reason they are not included in the discretionary service charge pool is they are well paid and not all passengers use their services. Having said that, they draw a decent salary and do not rely on the DSC for the majority of their wages like the rest of the crew. A cash tip is always welcome, but not necessary.

eHow website says NCL pays these workers between $8-10 per hour. Not big wages. They earn their tips.

Link below:

http://www.ehow.com/info_10017754_salary-ncl-youth-counselors.html

Yeah, I know a couple of years old, but I doubt NCL has done to many across the board pay raises.:D

Not saying that this $8 - $10 is rich or even close to it but remember that they also have all expenses paid (more or less) while on the ship as well. All that aside, I do tip.

Not saying that this $8 - $10 is rich or even close to it but remember that they also have all expenses paid (more or less) while on the ship as well. All that aside, I do tip.

Have to agree with LrgPizza you sure have the best user name hands down.

Welcome to Cruise Critic JoseCanYouSea:)

eHow website says NCL pays these workers between $8-10 per hour. Not big wages. They earn their tips.

Link below:

http://www.ehow.com/info_10017754_salary-ncl-youth-counselors.html

Yeah, I know a couple of years old, but I doubt NCL has done to many across the board pay raises.:D

Don't confuse how much they make with how much they are paid.

Have to agree with LrgPizza you sure have the best user name hands down.

Welcome to Cruise Critic JoseCanYouSea:)

Jose very pleased he can be so entertaining. My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My children all thank you too.

Now I just need find where I left my best friend. Has anyone seen a 3-legged donkey, blind in one eye, missing left ear, tail broken, recently neutered in a mining accident, answers to the name Lucky!

Edited by JoseCanYouSea

I've never understood this logic. If (ostensibly) the purpose of the service charge is to incentivize better service, then how would KNOWING you're getting paid lead to worse service than HOPING you'll get paid? Frankly I'm far more likely to provide better service where I know the outcome is favorable, than in an instance where I can only hope my efforts are recognized.

... and do not rely on the DSC for the majority of their wages like the rest of the crew. A cash tip is always welcome, but not necessary.

This. Though it does make your Signature statement seem rather mean. Here you acknowledge that the crew relies on the DSC for the majority of their wages...and in your signature (and prior posts) you says "It's your money, have the DSC removed at your discretion".

Stephen

Tip is you want - Don't tip if you want. It's your money!

People who enter into the workforce where tips are standard - know that some people tip big, some people tip small, and some people don't tip at all. No one forced them to sign the contract to work on a cruise ship, it was their choice.

I've worked in an industry were tips were my livelihood, so I know all too well what it's like to work your butt off and not receive a tip.

What I don't understand is all the cyber-bullying that goes on in these message boards if someone removes their Service Charges or decreases them. It's their money - why can't they do what they want with it?

Tip is you want - Don't tip if you want. It's your money!

People who enter into the workforce where tips are standard - know that some people tip big, some people tip small, and some people don't tip at all. No one forced them to sign the contract to work on a cruise ship, it was their choice.

I've worked in an industry were tips were my livelihood, so I know all too well what it's like to work your butt off and not receive a tip.

What I don't understand is all the cyber-bullying that goes on in these message boards if someone removes their Service Charges or decreases them. It's their money - why can't they do what they want with it?

Cyber bullying? Really? Why do you feel the need to cheapen the term?

These are just differing opinions about removing service charges or not removing them. I don't believe anyone would contemplate suicide over someone telling them should not remove the service charges on their next cruise.

Do you want to modify your term? :(

Gotta love the anonymity of the internet. :rolleyes:

Edited by Beaver1975

Cyber bullying? Really? Why do you feel the need to cheapen the term?

These are just differing opinions about removing service charges or not removing them. I don't believe anyone would contemplate suicide over someone telling them should not remove the service charges on their next cruise.

Do you want to modify your term? :(

Gotta love the anonymity of the internet. :rolleyes:

Suicide????? Who said anything about suicide?

Exactly how did I cheapen the term?

And I do not want to "MODIFY YOUR TERM".

We all have our own opinions on Tipping, but to put another human being down simply because their opinion simply doesn't comply to yours is Cyber Bullying.

Edited by cpiers

Let me guess, you will be at the reception desk removing your service charges because you believe it is best to tip only the people that truly interacted with you and you will do said tipping face to face?

SMH!!

Let me guess, you will be at the reception desk removing your service charges because you believe it is best to tip only the people that truly interacted with you and you will do said tipping face to face?

SMH!!

No I will not! If you re-read my post I use to work in an industry where tips are the standard.

And if I decide to go to the reception desk to have the services charges removed (which I won't) - that's must personal decision. And I don't need you to CYBER BULLY me or anyone else if that is what they desire is to do with their money.

This. Though it does make your Signature statement seem rather mean. Here you acknowledge that the crew relies on the DSC for the majority of their wages...and in your signature (and prior posts) you says "It's your money, have the DSC removed at your discretion".

Mean? Haha, facts are mean? I 'says' ADJUST the discretionary service charge at your discretion. Maybe read my signature a couple more times for full comprehension?

Mean? Haha, facts are mean? I 'says' ADJUST the discretionary service charge at your discretion. Maybe read my signature a couple more times for full comprehension?

Not only do you say

"Adjust" , to be crystal-clear, you add"up OR down". ( emphasis mine) . I have never taken your signature as a message, hint or suggestion to remove tips.

If that is what a reader gets from your sig. line, it is their own prejudice / preconceived notion showing.

Not only do you say

"Adjust" , to be crystal-clear, you add"up OR down". ( emphasis mine) . I have never taken your signature as a message, hint or suggestion to remove tips.

If that is what a reader gets from your sig. line, it is their own prejudice / preconceived notion showing.

Or they have read a million times LMB's opinion in the matter. Nothing preconceived about it. It has been stated way too many times too count.