New to Princess - Coffee and Soda Cards

We are going on the Grand Princess March 31st of this year and are thinking of getting the coffe cards for ourselves and unlimitied soda and more cards for the kids. I see where we can pre-purchase these through Princess as a Bon Voyage gift, but thought it might be cheaper once onboard. Prices are $31 each for coffee card and $8.05/day f rounlimited soda and more. I think prices may include the service charge/gratuity. Suggestions? Thanks!

Yes, those are the charges. There is also a soda sticker if you don't want the extras like mocktails. I believe it is $4.25 per day plus 15% time.

For some people these are great deals. For others they are a waste of money. Look at the consuption for you and your family members to see who would benefit by these cards/stickers.

Yes, those are the charges. There is also a soda sticker if you don't want the extras like mocktails. I believe it is $4.25 per day plus 15% time.

For some people these are great deals. For others they are a waste of money. Look at the consuption for you and your family members to see who would benefit by these cards/stickers.

It's hard to know how to evaluate without knowing how much individual drinks would be without the card. Can anyone help with that?

Paul, thanks for the info. Do you know if the coffee card includes teas or specialty teas, or smoothies of any sort?

I don't think there is a savings if you purchase these beverage packages pre cruises. I don't know how old your children are but mine were in their teens when we cruised last. One child wanted the ultimate card because he likes the mocktails and the other only wanted to drink soft drinks so I just purchased a soda card for him. I don't drink tea so I don't know what specialty teas are. I do remember seeing flavored tea bags at the buffet station. I would wait until you are on board to make these beverage purchases.

On another topic, if you plan on purchasing internet minutes on board I suggest you look into pre purchasing an internet package on line before you board. They give you extra minutes if you pre pay.

If you want a free coffee mug,,,,,,,,,,wait till you get on board to purchase the coffee card........the price is the same but we pre purchased........& did not get the mug......they said it was only when u purchase onboard........so we had to go turn in the prepaid one for a refund......then go purchase a new card to get the mug.....kinda silly if u ask me.

Also, you get unlimited brewed coffee & tea.............but save your last specialty coffee punch because they were taking them from passengers when they punched the last punch.......therefore eliminating them from getting the brewed coffee....again,,,made no sense......(this was on the Coral 15 day panama canal cruise)

I can't remember how much the specialty coffees were.......but yes, you are saving money by purchasing the card.

I also purchased the soda package for hubby.......he got the soda cup w/no problems. Our friends got the deluxe soda so they could have smoothies, etc.

as far as the internet minutes..........well, they run specials onboard which are just as good as the prepurchase ones...........even when you prepurchase.......you have to go to internet cafe to set it up............we had to go online...purchase again..........and then they had to credit our account..........again made no sense.

Edited by bugspost

If you want a free coffee mug,,,,,,,,,,wait till you get on board to purchase the coffee card........the price is the same but we pre purchased........& did not get the mug......they said it was only when u purchase onboard........so we had to go turn in the prepaid one for a refund......then go purchase a new card to get the mug.....kinda silly if u ask me.

Also, you get unlimited brewed coffee & tea.............but save your last specialty coffee punch because they were taking them from passengers when they punched the last punch.......therefore eliminating them from getting the brewed coffee....again,,,made no sense......(this was on the Coral 15 day panama canal cruise)

I can't remember how much the specialty coffees were.......but yes, you are saving money by purchasing the card.

I also purchased the soda package for hubby.......he got the soda cup w/no problems. Our friends got the deluxe soda so they could have smoothies, etc.

as far as the internet minutes..........well, they run specials onboard which are just as good as the prepurchase ones...........even when you prepurchase.......you have to go to internet cafe to set it up............we had to go online...purchase again..........and then they had to credit our account..........again made no sense.

Seems lika a different policy for ea. ship, last yr got the mug free, this yr $5 more for mug on Ruby 1/15/12. $30 w/o, $35 with plus tip.

No longer matters. Coffee card is now ship/cruise specific, so you can no longer save it to use on a subsequent cruise.

No longer matters. Coffee card is now ship/cruise specific, so you can no longer save it to use on a subsequent cruise.

Pia, now that this new policy has been in effect (and you have actually cruised to have the answer) can you tell me if I can use my coffee card that has all the punches intact on my next cruise? Will it work like it did in the past (brewed and specialty) but only for my August cruise? Or is it useless?

Thanks...

Pia, now that this new policy has been in effect (and you have actually cruised to have the answer) can you tell me if I can use my coffee card that has all the punches intact on my next cruise? Will it work like it did in the past (brewed and specialty) but only for my August cruise? Or is it useless?

Thanks...

Your totally unused card can be used:

1. For any specialty, but not unlimited brewed.

2. For any specialty with brewed getting a punch too

3. For exchange to a new card on that specific ship, which will give you the 15 punches and all the fresh brewed; but only for the duration of that cruise.

4. For any specialty and even if you don't use all the punches, you can still use what's left on your next cruise.

Did I cover it all?

Your totally unused card can be used:

1. For any specialty, but not unlimited brewed.

2. For any specialty with brewed getting a punch too

3. For exchange to a new card on that specific ship, which will give you the 15 punches and all the fresh brewed; but only for the duration of that cruise.

4. For any specialty and even if you don't use all the punches, you can still use what's left on your next cruise.

Did I cover it all?

Yes Ma'am, you did! Thanks a bunch.

Pia, I did forget one thing. We are on a 26 day cruise and it is booked as a single cruise. However, it has 2 segments and can be booked B2B but we did not do that. Will we get a single coffee card for the 26 days or will we have to get one for each segment as if we are booked B2B?

Thanks

Pat

Pia, I did forget one thing. We are on a 26 day cruise and it is booked as a single cruise. However, it has 2 segments and can be booked B2B but we did not do that. Will we get a single coffee card for the 26 days or will we have to get one for each segment as if we are booked B2B?

Thanks

Pat

I had that same thought when we boarded the Grand on Feb. 4th. This cruise was a 7 and a 7, which we booked as a 14. First visit to barrista and was told it would be considered a 14 if that's the way it was booked. Moot point for us though, since we were still using old cards.

I had that same thought when we boarded the Grand on Feb. 4th. This cruise was a 7 and a 7, which we booked as a 14. First visit to barrista and was told it would be considered a 14 if that's the way it was booked. Moot point for us though, since we were still using old cards.

Thanks for the help. It should be a moot point for us as our cards are punch-free. But, my husband prefers the brewed coffee and we won't only want 15 punches for only that. Might turn that one in for a new one if I am understanding all of this correctly now. A replacement card wold give him the brewed for the duration of the cruise, right?

Thanks for the help. It should be a moot point for us as our cards are punch-free. But, my husband prefers the brewed coffee and we won't only want 15 punches for only that. Might turn that one in for a new one if I am understanding all of this correctly now. A replacement card wold give him the brewed for the duration of the cruise, right?

Does he like strong coffee? He can get Americano which is espresso and water. I like that and I get 2 shots. Same punch. I also use Via in between and my husband for some reason can drink the sludge which he mixes with 1/3 hot water.

Pia: you said coffee cards could not be used on subsequent cruises if they are not all used up? We were on the Ruby in February and they DID take unused coffee cards from previous cruises.

I said the NEW coffee cards were just for that specific one only. The new ones have the name of the ship and the date of the cruise on them. We still have old cards and used them on the Grand in February and will still be using them next month on the Diamond.

By brewed coffee do you mean Espresso?

We are going on a Princess cruise (first time - so don't understand any of this : ))

If my husband only drinks espresso coffee (3 a day) is it worth it to get a coffee card and how much is that card? DO you need to carry around your own cup?

I only drink water. Is that available everywhere for free or do I have to bring on bottled water?

Thank you.

Edited by paddingtonbear