Will big price discounts be offered?

KevintheIrishDJ

We booked on a cruise in Dec. 2017. It was “sold out”. Final payment is not for another month. I was very surprised to see our cruise listedtoday as a “sale” on the Princess website. It still listed the old itineraryand also stated that only one category (suites) is sold out. Did many people cancel already? I wonder if there will be big price discountsbe offered?

:confused:

We booked on a cruise in Dec. 2017. It was “sold out”. Final payment is not for another month. I was very surprised to see our cruise listedtoday as a “sale” on the Princess website. It still listed the old itineraryand also stated that only one category (suites) is sold out. Did many people cancel already? I wonder if there will be big price discountsbe offered?

While there may be some cancellations, I would not bank on big discounts, Kevin. If the sale attracts more bookings then pricing will go up. The cruise lines are very good with their dynamic pricing techniques and methods of moving customers around into other cabins with modest incentives. Technology has made the industry better at improving their ability to maximize their margins, even by sailing with some cabins empty. Likewise, they are getting better in managing their over bookings as well. Keep an eye on the rates and if the prices go down, grab one of those sale cabins before final payment if it makes financial sense.

Edited by tailspintom
tense change

Many have tried but I don't think anyone has been able to figure out how yield management decisions are made.

WHEN in December is a big factor. Do you mind telling us what date? If it's early December, those are usually the cheapest cruises out of the entire year. I would wait to book those. If it's mid to late December, there's a small chance the prices will drop.

If it's over Christmas I wouldn't count on any price drop. Of course it would most likely be sold out anyway...

It's almost impossible to predict which cruises will go up and which will go down in price. I'm currently tracking prices on 12 different Princess cruises for early December. So far there have not been any major changes in prices other than a few types of cabins. I'm expecting more in the next few weeks as the final payment dates pass. The problem is now that DH may be working and we won't be able to go--unless there's a really great price and I go without him.

Can I ask where you found info about a $500 discount?? I'm not seeing that on their website?? Thank you!

it should be on their website. just check pricing but I have found that going in as a stranger on their main website reveals the best prices.

This is a great topic that hits close to home. We are frequent cruisers (often over 100 days a year) and we use a combination of cruises booked far in advance (primarily for longer very popular itineraries) and last minute (inside final payment period) bookings. My advice to the OP is that if the cruise you booked is something "you must have" and you have air reservations (which can not be changed without penalty) that you should just live with your booking. When we do the last minute bookings (and we are now looking at a specific Princess cruise for late October) you must truly be willing to take it or leave it....without a lot of regret.

I will add that cruises between Thanksgiving (US) and Xmas are often some of the better deals you will find. So if we are talking about an early December cruise (that returns prior to Xmas) and there appears to be a lot of empty cabins (check on some cruise agency sites....and do not trust what you see on Princess"s own site) you might want to cancel and take the risk that you can later rebook at a much lower cost. But you must be willing to accept that you may not get on the cruise or actually pay more money! In our case, when we play this game, we are usually looking at multiple cruises (and land trips) during a period of time......and we will take whatever looks best. If nothing is a good deal....no biggie and our life goes on.

I should add that this type of last minute cruise-roulette) is best played by we retirees who do not have to be concerned with getting vacation days from a job.

Hank

Our cruise is the Eastern Caribbean. Princess is offering an additional $500 off pp thru Nov. 16

I went into the website incognito, and got the same fares as if I had signed in. If you're talking about the "Great Escapes Sale" which advertises u to $1000 off per cabin, it's NOT a new discount. It's the same fare just by a different name.

We have an 8 nt. eastern Carib in early Dec, and it's now on that sale that you reference. But when we booked it in Nov 2016 on a "3 for Free" promo, and then re-fared it in March to the "Come Back New Sale", the prices were the same as they are now. And we have complimentary gratuities, too.

So the storms have not resulted in a any special new, reduced fares.

I went into the website incognito, and got the same fares as if I had signed in. If you're talking about the "Great Escapes Sale" which advertises u to $1000 off per cabin, it's NOT a new discount. It's the same fare just by a different name.

We have an 8 nt. eastern Carib in early Dec, and it's now on that sale that you reference. But when we booked it in Nov 2016 on a "3 for Free" promo, and then re-fared it in March to the "Come Back New Sale", the prices were the same as they are now. And we have complimentary gratuities, too.

Thanks!

Your account illustrates how most "sales" are all smoke and mirrors.

Our TA got us a "free" upgrade because of the "sale".

Princess and discount??? Those 2 words don't go in the same sentence. 😳
Of course they do. :) Just use a TA that discounts. You can save at least 10% or more and get extra OBC.

As for whether there will be price reductions? Who knows? It's all based on supply and demand, plus the number of Guarantee cabins left to assign.

They actually "jacked up" the prices on "Great Escapes Sale," Previously had offered a rate called "Sun Drenched." Rates then dropped for about a 2 wks with senior discount & a resident rate. These were removed & the new promo was "Escape" rate. Surprise - same rate as "Sun Drenched" ! Both these promos claimed to be $1,000 less than the totally bogus "Launch" rate no one has ever paid. This mythical rate is also the basis for "BOGO" sales - no one ever sales free. The "house" always wins. There is no such thing as a "freebie." The rate has been adjusted to include the cost of anything offered.

Only way to lower cost is to find an agency that has group space. (Mainly for shorter 7 days trips.) Or, take the chance on waiting till after final pay to book & be willing to take the leftovers, cabin-wise.