"Must See" Things in Curacao

july128

We are trying to decide between two walking tours in Curacao but I'm not sure which offers the best sight-seeing. I would love advice from anyone who has visited here before. Which would you choose?

One visits Kura Hulanda Museum, Kura Holanda Hotel, Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge, and Fort Amsterdam. It is about two hours and 15 minutes and $30 p.p. This one offers a ride back to the ship or the option to stay in town and look around (leaving you with the responsibility to return to the ship.)

The other visits Fort Amsterdam, the former residential neighborhood of Scharloo and the famous “wedding cake house”, and Pietermaai Cathedral. It is an hour and 45 minutes and $38 p.p. You have the option to ride back to the ship or stay in town to look around (leaving you with the responsibility to return to the ship.)

If we choose to stay in town, is it possible to walk back to the ship? Would we be better off taking a cab?

We are trying to decide between two walking tours in Curacao but I'm not sure which offers the best sight-seeing. I would love advice from anyone who has visited here before. Which would you choose?

One visits Kura Hulanda Museum, Kura Holanda Hotel, Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge, and Fort Amsterdam. It is about two hours and 15 minutes and $30 p.p. This one offers a ride back to the ship or the option to stay in town and look around (leaving you with the responsibility to return to the ship.)

The other visits Fort Amsterdam, the former residential neighborhood of Scharloo and the famous “wedding cake house”, and Pietermaai Cathedral. It is an hour and 45 minutes and $38 p.p. You have the option to ride back to the ship or stay in town to look around (leaving you with the responsibility to return to the ship.)

If we choose to stay in town, is it possible to walk back to the ship? Would we be better off taking a cab?

Truthfully, I wouldn't pay for either. You can walk on your own to the museum and then walk around the hotel grounds. The fort is across the pontoon bridge to the right.When you are done walk back across the bridge to your ship.

Truthfully, I wouldn't pay for either. You can walk on your own to the museum and then walk around the hotel grounds. The fort is across the pontoon bridge to the right.When you are done walk back across the bridge to your ship.

Ok, awesome! Thanks! Do you know of anywhere I can find a map of just the area nearest to the ship?

So right you are! Please, do NOT pay for walking trips. You will find all information on the downtown area online for free. Print whatever information you wish to see/experience, print the map and you're set.

It is not a very large place to walk around and most locals will be more than happy to point you in the right direction or tell you about the sights you're seeing.

Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...
I printed off a PDF map of a self-guided walking tour from this site: http://www.curacao.com/Plan-Your-Trip/Cruisers#.

If you walk the entire route on this map at a casual pace, how long does it take to complete? Obviously the more you stop and look at things the longer it will take, but I'm trying to figure out how much time we should plan for this. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is your birthday in July? If so' date=' when is it? I know your screen name says July128, but I keep exing out the one and focusing on the two and eight. My birthday is July 28![/quote']

I don't know about July128...but...my birthday is also July 28!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are thinking about taking the Discover Curacao Island Tour

That is 3.5 hrs long, but also want to do some shopping. We will dock from 2:00 - 11:00, how long are the shops open.

Does anyone know any thing about the Discover Curacao Island Tour. Is it worth taking or is this something we can also do on our own. Following is the tour description.

Behold Curacao’s countryside and the city of Willemstad, and visit three of the island’s highlights. On this excursion, you will:

•Board your air conditioned motor coach and drive past the salt flats to the Hato Caves, a dramatic collection of grottos filled with stalactites, stalagmites and crystal clear pools.

•Visit the Curacao Museum that combines contemporary art with an exhibition of life in Curacao during the mid-nineteenth century.

•Enjoy lovely views of Punda and Otrobanda.

•Visit Chobolobo to sample the famous Blue Curacao liqueur and see how it is made.

•Drive through the heart of downtown Willemstad and see its major points of interest.

•Have the option to stay downtown for independent sightseeing or shopping. If you opt to stay downtown, you will be responsible for your return to the ship.

:)

Thanks and look forward to some feed back.

Edited by Prunion

We are thinking about taking the Discover Curacao Island Tour

That is 3.5 hrs long, but also want to do some shopping. We will dock from 2:00 - 11:00, how long are the shops open.

Does anyone know any thing about the Discover Curacao Island Tour. Is it worth taking or is this something we can also do on our own. Following is the tour description.

Behold Curacao’s countryside and the city of Willemstad, and visit three of the island’s highlights. On this excursion, you will:

•Board your air conditioned motor coach and drive past the salt flats to the Hato Caves, a dramatic collection of grottos filled with stalactites, stalagmites and crystal clear pools.

•Visit the Curacao Museum that combines contemporary art with an exhibition of life in Curacao during the mid-nineteenth century.

•Enjoy lovely views of Punda and Otrobanda.

•Visit Chobolobo to sample the famous Blue Curacao liqueur and see how it is made.

•Drive through the heart of downtown Willemstad and see its major points of interest.

•Have the option to stay downtown for independent sightseeing or shopping. If you opt to stay downtown, you will be responsible for your return to the ship.

:)

Thanks and look forward to some feed back.

Well IMO it's not worth it. You'll see views from the tall bridge, Chobolobo isn't worth the trip, a walk thru self guided tour and a tasting of the liquer. If you have caves near where you live, why do Hato. You should get to a beach for the afternoon, Shops close 5-6.You can do a self walking tour thru Willemstad.

Well IMO it's not worth it. You'll see views from the tall bridge, Chobolobo isn't worth the trip, a walk thru self guided tour and a tasting of the liquer. If you have caves near where you live, why do Hato. You should get to a beach for the afternoon, Shops close 5-6.You can do a self walking tour thru Willemstad.

Thanks for the info, after reading about this island I am finding that a self guided tour is the best way to go. I do have one other question. I have read about the bridge, does the bridge really swing, how long is this bridge and read something about when the bell goes off you can't get to the other side, how long does that last and why can't you go on the bridge when the bell goes off. Is there a certain time the bell goes off. Just want to make sure we are on the right side so we don't miss our boat.

I have read about the bridge, does the bridge really swing, how long is this bridge and read something about when the bell goes off you can't get to the other side, how long does that last and why can't you go on the bridge when the bell goes off. Is there a certain time the bell goes off. Just want to make sure we are on the right side so we don't miss our boat.

The bridge is the same concept as a draw bridge - it lets boats come through. The difference is that it doesn't open up - it swings open. You don't have to worry about being on the wrong side because there is a ferry that runs back and forth if the bridge isn't going across.

• 2 weeks later...