Cape Liberty Drop off and Pick up

gatorclaws

I'm trying to decide the best option for getting to the ship for our 9 night cruise this fall. We are driving in the day before, about 10 hr drive, and staying with family that's about 35-45 minutes away from Cape Liberty in NJ. The relatives have offered to drive us to the cruise port and pick us up when we get back. Or we could just park at the port for $20 a day ($180 or $200 for a 9 night cruise?). It's our first time leaving from Cape Liberty.

We would ideally arrive 10:30-11:00 and when leaving try to be one of the first groups off.

If family drives us, we save the parking cost but I don't want to cause them to have to sit through a lot of traffic. They've never driven to the port and likely don't know what kind of time commitment they may be making to take us. How long would it take them to get through all that traffic, specifically the morning they pick us up? I'd feel pretty bad if they had to sit in an hour of traffic in addition to the normal commute time.

If we park at the port, the biggest advantage is being able to get on the road sooner for our long drive home that day instead of needing to go back to their house to get our car.

For those with experience in similar situations, what's the best option for us.

I'm trying to decide the best option for getting to the ship for our 9 night cruise this fall. We are driving in the day before, about 10 hr drive, and staying with family that's about 35-45 minutes away from Cape Liberty in NJ. The relatives have offered to drive us to the cruise port and pick us up when we get back. Or we could just park at the port for $20 a day ($180 or $200 for a 9 night cruise?). It's our first time leaving from Cape Liberty.

We would ideally arrive 10:30-11:00 and when leaving try to be one of the first groups off.

If family drives us, we save the parking cost but I don't want to cause them to have to sit through a lot of traffic. They've never driven to the port and likely don't know what kind of time commitment they may be making to take us. How long would it take them to get through all that traffic, specifically the morning they pick us up? I'd feel pretty bad if they had to sit in an hour of traffic in addition to the normal commute time.

If we park at the port, the biggest advantage is being able to get on the road sooner for our long drive home that day instead of needing to go back to their house to get our car.

For those with experience in similar situations, what's the best option for us.

Where exactly do you relatives live? For a nine night cruise you should be leaving on a Thur and returning on a Sat. Where are you coming from that is 10 hours away?

Parking would be $180. There is nothing like getting off the ship into your car and on the road for a 10 hour drive. If you self disembark, you can likely be on the road home by 7:30 am with no rush hour traffic.

Where exactly do you relatives live? For a nine night cruise you should be leaving on a Thur and returning on a Sat. Where are you coming from that is 10 hours away?

Parking would be $180. There is nothing like getting off the ship into your car and on the road for a 10 hour drive. If you self disembark, you can likely be on the road home by 7:30 am with no rush hour traffic.

From Cincinnati, family lives in Scotch Plains NJ. You're correct on the Thursday to Saturday, we're driving up on Wednesday.

I was originally planning on taking them up on their offer to drive us there, but as I've started to look at more details I'm thinking of just paying for the parking and making the day driving home a little easier.

From Cincinnati, family lives in Scotch Plains NJ. You're correct on the Thursday to Saturday, we're driving up on Wednesday.

I was originally planning on taking them up on their offer to drive us there, but as I've started to look at more details I'm thinking of just paying for the parking and making the day driving home a little easier.

It's a generous offer, but I think you're right about the trip home being easier if you park at the port. You're already saving a lot of money by having a place to stay. Your relatives would probably spend about 4+ hours to drive you to and from the port and you would lose your jump start on the trip home unless they picked you up really early.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been to Cape Liberty since the parking garage was built. What is the process? Do you pay going in or when you leave the garage on disembarcation day? Do they take credit cards? I assume its close enough to drop people and bags with porters then driver walks back to check in. And at disembarcation the driver gets the car then can swing back easily to pick up people and bags? Thanks for your help.

I have not been to Cape Liberty since the parking garage was built. What is the process? Do you pay going in or when you leave the garage on disembarcation day? Do they take credit cards? I assume its close enough to drop people and bags with porters then driver walks back to check in. And at disembarcation the driver gets the car then can swing back easily to pick up people and bags? Thanks for your help.

1). You get a ticket when you go in the garage. When you return you pay at a machine with a credit card or cash (bills up to $50) and get an exit ticket to get out of the garage.

2). You can drop people and bags with porters at the terminal entrance and driver walks back.

3). On disembarkation it is not easy to swing back to pick up people and bags. Better to roll bags to the garage ground level (very close) and pick them up upon leaving the garage.

1). You get a ticket when you go in the garage. When you return you pay at a machine with a credit card or cash (bills up to $50) and get an exit ticket to get out of the garage.

2). You can drop people and bags with porters at the terminal entrance and driver walks back.

3). On disembarkation it is not easy to swing back to pick up people and bags. Better to roll bags to the garage ground level (very close) and pick them up upon leaving the garage.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice ! Everything was easy! One note- if you get a porter to help with bags at disembarcation/customs, they will take your bags directly to the loading zone of the parking garage. You drive your car right up to load the bags then exit the garage. Much easier than the driver having to go back in line and drive around to the other loading area.

• 6 months later...
Hi,

Do you still have to drop people and luggage off at the terminal, and then drive around again to go into the garage? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards Paul

You do not have to stop and drop luggage/passengers but your vehicle will be sent in that direction to enter the garage. You must travel the same road, your choice to stop or bypass to the garage.

You do not have to stop and drop luggage/passengers but your vehicle will be sent in that direction to enter the garage. You must travel the same road, your choice to stop or bypass to the garage.

Correct, but now it seems with three ships sharing the parking now, there is an overflow lot being used. It may just be easier to drop your bags and passengers, then park.