Taking suitcase OFF the ship in a port?

JF - retired RRT

DH & I just started living part-time in Lihue, Kauai. We already have a RT LA to HI cruise booked and thought it might be a time/money saver if we transport some of our household supplies (already own extras and don't want to buy more) in a suitcase and take it off the ship when we port in Nawiliwili.

Has anyone ever taken a suitcase off the ship in a port of call? Does security hassle you?

Notify Princess before we leave? Notify Passenger Services before we get off in the port?

Any other problems we haven't thought of?

TIA for your thoughts!

Can't say if it might be possible at a US port, but we tried this in Argentina and were given a flat unequivocal no. Contact Princess and ask them specifically about the rules for the port in question. The other thing to keep in mind is that Nawiliwili is a tender port and can be missed (as we did this year) if sea/weather conditions are iffy.

DH & I just started living part-time in Lihue, Kauai. We already have a RT LA to HI cruise booked and thought it might be a time/money saver if we transport some of our household supplies (already own extras and don't want to buy more) in a suitcase and take it off the ship when we port in Nawiliwili.

Has anyone ever taken a suitcase off the ship in a port of call? Does security hassle you?

Notify Princess before we leave? Notify Passenger Services before we get off in the port?

TIA for your thoughts!

We have taken suitcases off in port Canaveral (emergency at home so got off ship), and Ireland (dropping stuff to our son who lived there), and both of those times we had to get customs involved.

Once in the Caribbean we had a large backpack with school supplies for a school on the island and they said we needed to go through customs when we went to get off. He said it would a long wait. We went back to our room , divided between two small backpacks and walked right off.,

This is an interesting question....I would think Customs is a non-issue going from LA to Hawaii, but perhaps the real Jones act for cargo comes in to play? I also presume you would still need to ask for advance permission from Princess since the contract says you agree not to bring aboard household goods. But if you aren't bringing dangerous items and don't have an excess amount of luggage...perhaps they will allow an exception? Let us know how this turns out.

Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods, fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments or other valuables, including but not limited to those specified in Section 30503 of Title 46 of the United States Code. You warrant that no such items will be presented to Carrier within any receptacle or container as baggage, and release Carrier from all liability whatsoever for loss of or damage to such items when presented to the Carrier in breach of this warranty. Such items must be shipped to Your destination by other means. Guests are strongly urged to keep valuables, irreplaceable items and medicines in their possession at all times and not to pack such items in baggage or suitcases handled by others.

You definitely need to notify Princess in advance.

In some cases, there can be issues with customs. Normally customs personnel are only there at disembarkation unless special arrangements have been made.

US customs may not be very concerned in this case because the cruise originates in the US and does not have any non-US ports before Nawiliwili. However, you may be taking ashore some duty-free items purchased on the ship, so they may want to check.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Nawiliwili is a tender port and can be missed (as we did this year) if sea/weather conditions are iffy.

Nawiliwili is a tender port? I've been there three times on different ships and always tied up to the pier.

............ The other thing to keep in mind is that Nawiliwili is a tender port and can be missed (as we did this year) if sea/weather conditions are iffy.

Not a tender port, but, might be missed due to weather as there is a narrow and tricky to navigate entrance through the breakwater to get into the pier area.

We went back to our room , divided between two small backpacks and walked right off.,

Agree. The items were cleared to come on board in the first place. Divide in backpacks and handbags and should be no problem. Their concern is things coming onto the ship.

The other side of that is even if given permission by Princess once you get into port they might have their own opinion about the rules.

We have taken suitcases off in port Canaveral (emergency at home so got off ship), and Ireland (dropping stuff to our son who lived there), and both of those times we had to get customs involved.

Once in the Caribbean we had a large backpack with school supplies for a school on the island and they said we needed to go through customs when we went to get off. He said it would a long wait. We went back to our room , divided between two small backpacks and walked right off.,

YES!! That would work.

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I won't be able to bring a TRUNK of stuff.;p

Maybe, a few sheets and towels:D

The miser in me hates to buy more "stuff". We've downsized from 3 to 1 and now back up to 2 and we have 2 or 3 of everything! I see a yard sale in my future.:(

I think you can bring as much of you own belongings as you like. Here are some points.

You are boarding in a U.S. port and bring items ashore at a U.S. port. No foreign port is involved.

The items are all your own used household items.

You will not be carrying any agricultural products like fruits veggies, plants, etc.

You will not be carrying any illegal drugs.

I would try to contact U.S. Customs in Lihue and ask them if there is any document you need to complete, and where the Customs officer is located in Nawiliwili.

You should be aware that the channel entrance to Nawilwili harbor is an "S" and difficult for ships to navigate. When we were there a few years ago the ship missed this port of call due to high winds.

One issue might be that Hawaii does require a declaration form for incoming tourists, even when you arrive by air, as they closely regulate bringing many plant, produce & food items into the state. Make sure to ask about that when/if you contact Princess.

One issue might be that Hawaii does require a declaration form for incoming tourists, even when you arrive by air, as they closely regulate bringing many plant, produce & food items into the state. Make sure to ask about that when/if you contact Princess.

IIRC...the form asks for how much $$ you spent in each port.

No, not that form, I believe that's the US Customs form. There's another form that you fill our on flights to Hawaii that asks whether you are carrying any fruit, plant materials, etc...at least there was the last several trips we made.

Here's my two cents. Itinerary...Los Angeles, Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Lahaina....then Ensenada.

I tried to take off unwrapped "Christmas gifts" in Honolulu. Stopped by security as I was leaving the ship at 7:30 AM. Detained for an hour as they "looked" for custom officials at Aloha Towers. UGH....Gifts had original sales tags (Macy's, Kohl's, Trader Joe).

"What I said?"

You are transporting goods.

"Yes, from one American port to another".

Did I declare these goods the night before? Did I fill out a customs form? Did I notify anyone that I was going to do this? (Not the plane agriculture form) Why wasn't I at Customer Service Desk O dark hour to meet with customs?

"No...American port to American port".

After some security officer left me to look for a customs agent...he returned without an agent. I could go.

HUH?

Good luck.

TIA for your thoughts!

I would probably run this by Princess before you leave and once onboard.

You know how stuff you clear with Princess in CA sometimes does not translate to the fleet.

Security does not "hassle you" it's their job, and for our benefit they do an outstanding job.

When we got off in Florida we had come from NY with no stops. They said we had been in international waters and needed customs. It was a lot harder getting off, than it was getting on. Of course we were leaving the ship. Had to make new flight arrangements too, just an FYI, before we could get off. We also had pay to agree to pay $600 as a fine, but once they heard our emergency, it was forgiven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMRick

Here's my two cents. Itinerary...Los Angeles, Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Lahaina....then Ensenada.

I tried to take off unwrapped "Christmas gifts" in Honolulu. Stopped by security as I was leaving the ship at 7:30 AM. Detained for an hour as they "looked" for custom officials at Aloha Towers. UGH....Gifts had original sales tags (Macy's, Kohl's, Trader Joe).

"What I said?"

You are transporting goods.

"Yes, from one American port to another".

Did I declare these goods the night before? Did I fill out a customs form? Did I notify anyone that I was going to do this? (Not the plane agriculture form) Why wasn't I at Customer Service Desk O dark hour to meet with customs?

"No...American port to American port".

After some security officer left me to look for a customs agent...he returned without an agent. I could go.

HUH?

Good luck.

Thanks, Renee.

I do use the ship as a transport between California and HNL. I managed to get a full (heavy) piggy bank off the ship without any questions. Returned with a box of LP records. No questions asked either way. I guess they questioned me since I was taking several large plastic bags off the ship that one time.

I'm sure if you go to the passenger service desk and "declare" that you have items that you will be taking off the ship....the night before you dock in Honolulu....it shouldn't be a problem. Hilo might be able to clear you too. The issue was me "not" declaring the items before taking them ashore. Seemed rather silly to me.

I do use the ship as a transport between California and HNL. I managed to get a full (heavy) piggy bank off the ship without any questions. Returned with a box of LP records. No questions asked either way. I guess they questioned me since I was taking several large plastic bags off the ship that one time.

I'm sure if you go to the passenger service desk and "declare" that you have items that you will be taking off the ship....the night before you dock in Honolulu....it shouldn't be a problem. Hilo might be able to clear you too. The issue was me "not" declaring the items before taking them ashore. Seemed rather silly to me.

Since we've never been questioned when taking our back packs off the ship in every port we've been to...the current plan is just to load up our back packs, get off the ship and take da bus to our condo (the bus stops almost at our front door and only costs 25¢). Return to the ship and do it again, until we run out of stuff.

Mostly, we're taking sheets, towels, clocks, etc. Got lots of those things in CA and almost nothing in HI (so far).

We're going to ship one of our cars over in December or January, but you can't put anything in the car.:( Silly rules.;p

I think the key will be in not taking too much, and having it packed in suitcases. I remember on our Baltic cruise hearing some fairly local passengers liked to use cruise ship as a moving van or delivery service, so they had to prohibit the bringing aboard of large items such as TV sets and appliances![emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you are ready to fly, join Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club. Allows you 2 free luggage per destination. I also have their credit card...so go over with 3 suitcases and 2 carry ons. Trader Joe's going over....local stuff coming back. Much cheaper than a cruise. LOL. Do you have my email address? I'll be in Kauai next August. Hope to meet up with you then.

When you are ready to fly, join Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club. Allows you 2 free luggage per destination. I also have their credit card...so go over with 3 suitcases and 2 carry ons. Trader Joe's going over....local stuff coming back. Much cheaper than a cruise. LOL. Do you have my email address? I'll be in Kauai next August. Hope to meet up with you then.

It would be great to see you again!!

my email is g n j ferren at hot mail dot com

Good info about the Premier Club, I didn't know that. I'll take a look.