Belize Scuba Options/Opinions

Shattered__minds

So I have been researching options to dive in Belize and need some opinions.

Ship will be in on 1/31/17 from 7-5. Only ship in port that day.

Experience level beginner w. advanced cert. 17 dives over Caribbean. Need to rent gear.

Travel companion does not dive :( And I know I wont miss the ship unless there is a BIG issue so I am not worried about that.

Options:

1) 2 tank local dive with Sea Sports Belize. Thinking about this just for logistics. No flight or tender needed. Local and Boyfriend can explore the city while I am out. $146.25 total

2) 2 tank at Ambergris Caye w. ShoreExcursioneer. Thinking about this as I have heard the diving is better away from the city. Not sure what to do with the boyfriend he may stay behind. Involves a flight. $169.00

3) 2 tank at EcoTours Belize. Again away from the city at Ambergris Caye. $175.00.

4) I was thinking of taking the ferry over to Caye Caulker and hitting up a shop when I got there as well. Not sure if the diving is better there or what the cost would be but that way he can hang out on the beach while I am out.

Question: Which option and why?

I frequently dive in Belize, and have never heard of good diving close to Belize City. You have to go off Ambergris or Caye Caulker. I typically go south a couple of hours to Hopkins (not doable from a cruise) but I've heard great things about Caye Caulker.

This is one of the ports where I will use the ship excursions, if they are using Hugh Parkeys they normally pick you up from the ship and take you back to the ship without having to go into the terminal at Belize City. Boat is clean and normally the groups are not very large, the diving is excellent.

Trying to go out to Cay Caulker on the water taxi is really going to push you for time since you have to go into the terminal at Belize City, then head on over to the island and hope you get there before the boats leave in the morning. Keep in mind that your ship may not be on local time and that will really throw a wrench in the works.

We just spent a week on Cay Caulker, that's the way to go diving there. Great place to be, no problem with time difference and in the evening you can sit on the waters edge and watch the sun go down while indulging in your favorite adult beverage. Southwest flies there from Houston, book far enough out and it's not that expensive, also with their two checked bags you can take your own gear.

Just read where Hugh Parkeys has closed so now I'm going to have to find another operator. That's a shame because they were always a class act.

Edited by idlenote
Editing

This dive op is no longer in business (Hugh) and there are no excursions through the ship. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

This is one of the ports where I will use the ship excursions, if they are using Hugh Parkeys they normally pick you up from the ship and take you back to the ship without having to go into the terminal at Belize City. Boat is clean and normally the groups are not very large, the diving is excellent.

Trying to go out to Cay Caulker on the water taxi is really going to push you for time since you have to go into the terminal at Belize City, then head on over to the island and hope you get there before the boats leave in the morning. Keep in mind that your ship may not be on local time and that will really throw a wrench in the works.

We just spent a week on Cay Caulker, that's the way to go diving there. Great place to be, no problem with time difference and in the evening you can sit on the waters edge and watch the sun go down while indulging in your favorite adult beverage. Southwest flies there from Houston, book far enough out and it's not that expensive, also with their two checked bags you can take your own gear.

Just read where Hugh Parkeys has closed so now I'm going to have to find another operator. That's a shame because they were always a class act.

I have the same issue, since I'll be diving in Cozumel & Honduras with Carnival in Jan 2017, but no current dive op in Belize.

Hopefully, Carnival will re-sign up with another reputable dive op by year end...

Then I'll dive with Carnival since they'll pick up at the ship, without tender issues.

Seasports Belize is great, no sense in missing out on diving in Belize because you have to take a 10 minute tender ride. We do it with large bags and my large camera setup.

Where are they located once you get off of the tender? Do they provide transportation to their dive shop?

It's a short walk from the port. Go out the gate, turn left, about one block. People are very friendly on the street and will give you directions. If hasn't been repainted, their store is right by a tall green building on the left hand side of the street. After the dives, they will return you to the dock, so there is no walk back.

They are a very friendly, very helpful place and I love diving with them.

It's a short walk from the port. Go out the gate, turn left, about one block. People are very friendly on the street and will give you directions. If hasn't been repainted, their store is right by a tall green building on the left hand side of the street. After the dives, they will return you to the dock, so there is no walk back.

They are a very friendly, very helpful place and I love diving with them.

Thanks, Laurie. I filled out a request on their website, so we'll see what they say. My husband loves diving in Belize, so I hope it'll work out!

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Seasport Belize. They do a wonderful job. I had a detailed review of my trip and dives with them that I wish I could share with you but since it was unceremoniously deleted...I will leave you with...

The folks were great

The dives were outstanding

Lunch was served and the ceveiche was fresh

Oh and they definitely got us back to the ship on time.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Another vote for Seasport Belize. They do a wonderful job. I had a detailed review of my trip and dives with them that I wish I could share with you but since it was unceremoniously deleted...I will leave you with...

The folks were great

The dives were outstanding

Lunch was served and the ceveiche was fresh

Oh and they definitely got us back to the ship on time.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info! They have been in touch with my husband and he's all set. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

My brother-in-law arranged for a scuba and snorkeling trip with Belieze Sea Sports and I'm so happy he did. He, my niece and I went scuba diving with them at Hol Chan Marine Reserve while my wife and her sister went snorkeling and snorkel rafting.

The ride out to the reserve was quite enjoyable and they stopped where a manatee tends to hang out during that time of day. We were able to see the great creature's shape moving below the water and saw the snout come out of the water for a breath. They then went through some nice mangrove "islands" and did some fun weaving back and forth to get us through. We stopped at a little place to pick up the chum and got to see some huge fish that they fed by hand.

We then went to the reserve and Emmy, our dive master took the three of us on a wonderful dive. Emmy was a great dive master and made sure that we were safe and comfortable throughout the dive. He showed us some wonderful creatures and reef features including some overhanging coral we got to dive under and a neat little coral tunnel we got to swim through.

My wife and her sister had a wonderful time on the surface where Jenna the snorkeling guide took them around to see some neat things as well. Jenna made sure that my wife was able to get around easily on her snorkel raft and made sure she got to see a lot.

After finishing the dive and having a little lunch we headed over to Shark And Ray Alley where the chummed the water while we got in to snorkel with the sharks and rays. It was quite exciting swimming near the rays and nurse sharks some of which were up to eight feet long. These beautiful creatures were fantastic to watch and they did a great job bringing them in for close observation.

On the way back we spotted some bottlenose dolphins and the boat captain took us over to where we had seen them and let them swim over to us. We spent about 10 minutes among the dolphins and the captain and rest if the crew were respectful if them the entire time interacting on their terms.

The experience exceeded my expectations and I would gladly go with them again if I were to visit Belieze.

I tried booking through Sea Sports Belize for an upcoming cruise. They were reluctant to let us book anything until they had more demand for that day. I really would rather have something confirmed, so I booked through Cruise Excursioneer with the flight to Amberigis Caye. Has anyone else used them? I haven't found much info but haven't found anything negative, other than one reviewer (snorkler not diver) complained that there were too many fish! :rolleyes:

I tried booking through Sea Sports Belize for an upcoming cruise. They were reluctant to let us book anything until they had more demand for that day. I really would rather have something confirmed, so I booked through Cruise Excursioneer with the flight to Amberigis Caye. Has anyone else used them? I haven't found much info but haven't found anything negative, other than one reviewer (snorkler not diver) complained that there were too many fish! :rolleyes:

Flight to/from Ambergris.... after diving? You do realize that is not a good idea, right? You will still have nitrogen bubbles in your bloodstream. Rule used to be 24 hour flytime after diving, but has now been relaxed to 12 hours. I personally wouldn't do it. Yes, I know it is a low level flight, but I still wouldn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Ended up going with SeaSports and it was definitely worth it. Easy to find, awesome crew, small group and nice dive locations. I agree that the fresh Lion fish ceviche was a super awesome bonus. Dives were relaxing and fun. Everyone was professional and safe. Would definitely dive with them again.