The real Venice?

stickyshocker

If this topic was discussed before, pls point me to the link. Otherwise, I could really use some pointers from you. We are flying in a few days before our cruise and as a given I would be dedicating 1 day for the touristy areas, in fact my hotel is booked a hop skip jump from San Marco Basilica, I might even spend half a day in Burano, anyway being a former backpacker ( til kids and marriage came along) I always find the absolute joy whenever I interact with the locals and discovering hidden gems that I don't find elsewhere. I know Venice is a UNESCO heritage site so its granted that the whole island is a tourist area, but somehow I know there's somethin out there where I can absorb the culture and witness the Venetian's lifestyles. Thanks in advance for the feedback:)

Very few people actually live in Venice. Population fluctuates based on time of year of course

My advice just walk the back roads over the bridges into the little churches. Admire the flowers in the apartment window boxes. Take a vapporetto and just go round and round and absorb the sites

Walk along the docks near st marks square. Sit on the cement steps inches from the water near the Doges

Walk around the square listening to the bands play. It's free. Or you can sit for an espresso. If you are not concerned about costs

Now...

Don't use a streetside ATM..trust me here

Don't talk or give money to beggars. It's a scam

Don't accept any unsolicited help from anyone

Buy a wallet that has that rifd? Protection

Venice is beautiful but is a tourist trap because there really aren't any locals for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's what I like to do in Venice. Get on the Vaporetto taxi I think it's #5. You'll have to check the map. It's the one boat that from the Rialto stop turns off the Grand canel and goes out around the island. It's direct to the isle of Capri. It's one of the few that don't go down the Grand canal. It's usually only for locals and when you get on you may get some odd looks. When you get to Capri just walk straight up the main road to the other side of the island to the beaches. Along the way there's really good restaurants and shops along the way that are for locals with local pricing.

Also the Capri water taxi pier is the main stop for all water taxi lines. From there you can get to many islands that you can't from the main island. They like to keep the tourists in one place on the main island. From Capri you'll almost have the water taxi's to yourself Enjoy.

The actual population of Venice continues to decline as people move to the mainland and rent out their homes in Venice for staggering amounts.

However, there are areas where there are more residents than others. Cannaregio is one area to check out, Guidecca is another. Certainly Burano, Mazzorbo, and Torcello.

Get on the Vaporetto taxi I think it's #5. You'll have to check the map. It's the one boat that from the Rialto stop turns off the Grand canel and goes out around the island. It's direct to the isle of Capri. It's one of the few that don't go down the Grand canal. It's usually only for locals and when you get on you may get some odd looks. When you get to Capri just walk straight up the main road to the other side of the island to the beaches. Along the way there's really good restaurants and shops along the way that are for locals with local pricing.

It would be quite a trick to get on a vaporetto at Rialto and get off on Capri, nearly 500 miles away. Perhaps you meant Lido?

I would hardly call Lido a haven of residents, it's a "resort" area (and I use that word somewhat loosely here) set up for vacationers.

Perhaps even go to that 3rd island. Can't recall the name. Begins with a T perhaps not sure though I recall reading there is a 12th century church there.

Torcello. Very peaceful (because very few people live there). The church is quite lovely, and there's a wonderful Cipriani restaurant for lunch.

We have been to Venice many times (on cruises, our own driving trips, etc) and we do not think there is a "real" Venice. Rather, the entire Lagoon (with its islands) is just one big fantasy :).. The least touristy island is Burano (which is primarily a residential island) but even that place (our favorite island) is touristy. It is just the nature of one of the most unique city settings on earth. Avoid St Marks Square and the area around the Rialto Bridge and you will be well on your way to discovering the other Venice. Walk a few miles on Venice, just meandering on back streets...and you will eventually discover your own favorite neighborhoods. If you are starting from the Piazale Roma, instead of doing the more common routes towards Rialto, try walking over the small bridge and walking along Fondamenta Minotto (where we have found a few non-touristy cute restaurants). Perhaps head over to the Campo Santo Margherita where youA can stop at a cafe and find yourself with mostly University students who are studying at the nearby Universities. And that is just a start. Perhaps take the Vaporetto over to Lido...and walk a couple of miles on that island, which not only has beach resorts.....but also houses many Venetians (this is the one island where one can actually drive a car). If you do go to St Marks Square, walk out to the Canal (Giudecca) and turn to your left and just start to walk. In a few minutes you will escape the hoards of tourists and you can explore some of the streets that run off the canal. There are actually a lot of neighborhoods on Venice....but most tourists never get that far because they do not like to do that much walking....or only want to be in the major tourist areas.

Hank

Thank you all!

Shoutout to the poster who recommended Cannaregio, i discovered a highly rated B&B with a decent price there.

Thanks for the fraud/scam tips, the rfid wallet caught me off guard, i shall now add that to my list.

Thanks Hlitner for the Fondamenta Minotto, i felt home just as you described it. Burano is a must stop for us, and Torcello i still have to check them out in YT.

Just to add my two cents...The crowds at the main tourist attractions during the day are crazy. Since you're staying overnight, I highly recommend re-visiting them during the evening for a different experience.

I'd also recommend walking the back streets as much as you can when roaming the island which is the best way of coming across some random encounters. Google Maps is surprisingly good. While we didn't follow it to a "T", we followed it to get in in the general direction, avoid dead ends, and check out some squares.

Just to add my two cents...The crowds at the main tourist attractions during the day are crazy. Since you're staying overnight, I highly recommend re-visiting them during the evening for a different experience.

I'd also recommend walking the back streets as much as you can when roaming the island which is the best way of coming across some random encounters. Google Maps is surprisingly good. While we didn't follow it to a "T", we followed it to get in in the general direction, avoid dead ends, and check out some squares.

Does anyone have a pocket map of Venice they can recommend? I know there's the usual Rick Steve's guides but I would like to hear recommendations if you have any. Thanks!

Does anyone have a pocket map of Venice they can recommend? I know there's the usual Rick Steve's guides but I would like to hear recommendations if you have any. Thanks!

Love Rick Steve's Venice book, you can't go wrong. Very common sense and real world. His free audio tours are great!

If you are looking for a map, I like the Knopf guides (they have them for various cities). It looks like a small, thin book but each "leaf" opens to become a detailed map.

I like it because you don't have to constantly fold and unfold a big map, and each enlarged section shows you plenty of detail.

I find that TI points in most cities also have very good maps. The problem with maps in guidebooks is that they tend to do things like telescope the distances or leave out the small streets, so it makes it harder to figure out exactly where you are.

I've always used the "Streetwise" series (purchased most of them at Barnes & Noble but you can order online) and I have the Venice version but you know what? I ended up using it only sparingly though I was glad I had it - wifi would be sketchy in the wonderful places and while there are many offline map apps now, it's just still fun to sit down and look at a map - perhaps it's generational, I don't know.

As the other members have suggested, being "lost" in the back areas of Venice is best and you're never really lost - all canals/alleys/bridges lead you back to a point you can find your way back to easily.

Glad you found some really fine, off-the-beaten path areas that not many Venice travelers get to visit. The crush of the people traffic at the main canal, Rialto Bridge etc, is real. Felt kind of like being at Disney World (love it) on a holiday - although they're usually fairly organized...Venice, not so much. Agree with returning at night - bit calmer - atmospheric and one can move around a bit better.

Enjoy your Venetian wanderings :)

Thanks for the fraud/scam tips, the rfid wallet caught me off guard, i shall now add that to my list.

Haven't I heard that you can just wrap your credit card in foil? Anyone else had issues with their credit card numbers being lifted this way? A am leery of random ATM machines and restaurants that take your card out of sight - but have not resorted to RFID wallets or foil yet...

Haven't I heard that you can just wrap your credit card in foil? Anyone else had issues with their credit card numbers being lifted this way? A am leery of random ATM machines and restaurants that take your card out of sight - but have not resorted to RFID wallets or foil yet...

We used to use a street map when walking around Venice. Eventually we found it much easier to just get lost :). Must admit that now that we have a Smartphone with data (T-Mobile works everywhere with no extra data charges) our use of maps has become very infrequent.

Hank

Buy a wallet that has that rifd? Protection

Almost no one has RFID cards. RFID are not the chip and pin EMV cards,

"The key names to look for in RFID credit cards are Visa PayWave, MasterCard PayPass, American Express ExpressPay and Discover Zip. These programs represent different forms of tap and go technology, and they all function the same way. Some local banks will also offer RFID credit cards, provided through one of the programs mentioned above."

All the RIDF wallets etc. are a scam to sell stuff where there is no actual threat.

People should understand the difference between RFID and EMV chips that most credit cards use now.

Almost no one has RFID cards. RFID are not the chip and pin EMV cards,

"The key names to look for in RFID credit cards are Visa PayWave, MasterCard PayPass, American Express ExpressPay and Discover Zip. These programs represent different forms of tap and go technology, and they all function the same way. Some local banks will also offer RFID credit cards, provided through one of the programs mentioned above."

All the RIDF wallets etc. are a scam to sell stuff where there is no actual threat.

People should understand the difference between RFID and EMV chips that most credit cards use now.

I can't comment for people on the US, but most people in Europe DO have RFID cards. My debit and credit cards all have the contactless symbol on them.

I can't comment for people on the US, but most people in Europe DO have RFID cards. My debit and credit cards all have the contactless symbol on them.

Do you have the cards I listed?

I bet you do not just wave your card at a reader. I bet you must insert the card into a reader.

Did you read the difference between the two of chips I reference? Of just because it has chip symbol on you assumed that it is RFID.

http://www.lowcards.com/emv-compatible

http://www.lowcards.com/credit-cards-rfid-13517

The symbol is the same for both types of cards.

Again, do you just need to wave these card in front of the machine or inert them?

Almost no one uses RFID cards.

I don't think you're correct on this. Contactless cards are used more in Europe than here. Read, for example this:

http://www.independent.ie/business/contactless-tap-and-go-card-payments-soar-across-europe-34704567.html

which states, among other things, that "Around 165 million Visa contactless cards and 3.2 million payment terminals are now active across Europe." And that doesn't take into account the MasterCard and Amex options.

Do you have the cards I listed?

I bet you do not just wave your card at a reader. I bet you must insert the card into a reader.

Did you read the difference between the two of chips I reference? Of just because it has chip symbol on you assumed that it is RFID.

http://www.lowcards.com/emv-compatible

http://www.lowcards.com/credit-cards-rfid-13517

The symbol is the same for both types of cards.

Again, do you just need to wave these card in front of the machine or inert them?

I only need to hold the card near to the machine. I normally tap it against the screen, but I don't really need to do that. No inserting involved. Very common, at least in the UK for purchases under a certain amount. I think it's something like £35? Not too sure on the upper limit of contactless payment, but it's not very high,

It's also really handy for the Tube in London. I don't have to bother with an Oyster card, since I don't go to London that often. I can just tap my debit card.

And just in case someone really is lurking with an RFID reader, I have a nice little aluminium card holder. I don't think I'm at severe risk, but it was cheap, and came in a pretty pink colour, and I couldn't resist! :D

Edited by lisiamc