Desserts!!

dbird

As a general rule I do not have dessert at home, but I love to indulge on vacation. I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise (Holland America) and to get in the spirit I am wondering what everyone's favorite desserts are while cruising :)

Life's uncertain, eat dessert first....

Exactly!! :) I am good the rest of the year...but on vacation I enjoy whatever I feel like having.

My last two cruises have been with Royal Caribbean and I did not really enjoy the desserts, though the sugar free ones my travel companion had were quite good. I am looking forward to some good desserts on Holland America.....I hope I am not disappointed.

As a general rule I do not have dessert at home, but I love to indulge on vacation. I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise (Holland America) and to get in the spirit I am wondering what everyone's favorite desserts are while cruising :)

I think the best dessert that I've ever had on a cruise was the dark chocolate souffle on the Celebrity Millineium. It would have been worth paying the up charge for the speciality restaurant just to have that again!:D

Panna Cotta for me, please! And pretty much anything for my sister...she's an equal opportunity kinda girl! ;)

One night, one of our waiters went around the table offering single-bite cookies...after serving a few to each person, he came to my sister last and simply placed the rest of the plate in front of her and walked away...it was hilarious and our whole table burst into laughter! :D He was a smart guy!

It might seem strange but my first cruise 20 years ago, I got introduced to the cheese platter for the first time as a dessert (always thought cheese was a starter course). Granted times have changed and they do not wheel around carts of cheese plus different crackers and fruit but I still love a GOOD cheese plate for dessert. You do not get the quality of good cheeses anymore :( but at some of the up charge restaurants, you can still get some better cheeses. I always get to finish the wine at the table as everyone else is having coffee or other after dinner drinks. :eek: My vote again is Cheese Please for best dessert. :D

It might seem strange but my first cruise 20 years ago, I got introduced to the cheese platter for the first time as a dessert (always thought cheese was a starter course). Granted times have changed and they do not wheel around carts of cheese plus different crackers and fruit but I still love a GOOD cheese plate for dessert. You do not get the quality of good cheeses anymore :( but at some of the up charge restaurants, you can still get some better cheeses. I always get to finish the wine at the table as everyone else is having coffee or other after dinner drinks. :eek: My vote again is Cheese Please for best dessert. :D

Oh I totally agree with you!! A nice cheese plate and a flight of wine are among my favorite things in life...LOL Last time I sailed HAL, I dinned in the Pinnacle and was sadly disappointed with the cheese plate. However on RCL, who's food in general is my least favorite of the lines I've sailed, they put together a pretty nice cheese plate. You never know unless you try :)

Oh I totally agree with you!! A nice cheese plate and a flight of wine are among my favorite things in life...LOL Last time I sailed HAL, I dinned in the Pinnacle and was sadly disappointed with the cheese plate. However on RCL, who's food in general is my least favorite of the lines I've sailed, they put together a pretty nice cheese plate. You never know unless you try :)

I also love the cheese plate for dessert with fresh fruit, not so sweet as cake, etc. but a nice finish. Had some on Carnival Ecstasy this past January. A cruise ship is the right place to try something new!

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite Carnival dessert, is the Bitter and Blanc-it's a bread pudding with dark and white chocolates. Then it is covered with a warm white chocolate glaze. Yummy. I took a plastic container and was going to order the cheese plate last cruise, and I was going to dump the cheese and bread into the container and go up to the top of the ship and have NA wine and cheese, but I get so full at dinner, I forgot all about it.:o Maybe next cruise.....

My favorite Carnival dessert, is the Bitter and Blanc-it's a bread pudding with dark and white chocolates. Then it is covered with a warm white chocolate glaze. Yummy. I took a plastic container and was going to order the cheese plate last cruise, and I was going to dump the cheese and bread into the container and go up to the top of the ship and have NA wine and cheese, but I get so full at dinner, I forgot all about it.:o Maybe next cruise.....

I forgot about that! It was really good!

I like the Tiramisu at HAL.

• 2 months later...

I too love the Bitter and Blanc - trying it was a total accident (but a happy one!). My son pointed to the dessert he wanted (a chocolate mousse cake thing) because he couldn't pronounce it - which was the same thing I ordered; however, the waiter thought he pointed at the Bitter and Blanc. When the desserts came out, my son had this crest fallen look because he got the wrong thing - I offered to switch with him - the waiter advised him not to switch and to try it - my son took one bite and his eyes took on the size of saucers! I of course, then asked to try it - he gave me a small bite (greedy kid) and I immediately offered to switch one more time! He was having none of it (GREEDY KID).

Needless to say - I have ordered it ever since!

Question - going on a girls get-a-way, but it is only a 4 night cruise - do you think they will have the Bitter and Blanc on a shortened menu?

I would have to say that so far out of NCL, DCL, RCI & CCL, my favorite dessert was a Honey Creme Brulee w/semi sweet chocolate ganache on the bottom. I never had Creme Brulee before, so decided to try it and OH.MY.GOODNESS!!! If I wasn't so full, I probably would have ordered another one. LOL

Then I read all about the Molten Lava Cake on Carnival. Got my first taste of that last year. It was really good and I did order it most nights, but it was VERY rich. I'd probably put that at #2.

I've also read so much about the Chocolate Souffle on Disney. Will be definately trying that this week. We leave in 2 days!!!

I always have dessert on a cruise -I even end my breakfast with something sweet :o

And I never worry about the calories. I work out to burn them :D

I found the Double Passion Cheesecake extra :p on the Navigator two weeks ago. Or Strawberry Cheesecake. And Key Lime Pie. And Mudcake...

oh well ;)

Archived