Question for those who have sailed solo on Princess

elycelynne

I signed up for Traditional dining (6:00 seating, table for 6) and was wondering how good they are at seating solo diners? I don't necessarily need to be with other solos, but would they do something silly like sticking me at a table with a family of 5?

I sailed solo this past January and signed up for late traditional dining, which is my preferred time. My table for 6 consisted of a couple who were linked to a solo friend, another solo traveler and myself. I could not have asked for more congenial dining mates.

I had the opposite experience. I was seated at a table for 8, and no one showed up the first night. If they were solos, I can't imagine that 7 of them didn't come to dinner. 2nd night - again, I'm by myself. Waiter asked if I wanted to be seated somewhere else. He found a place for me. Not the best table but not the worst. It was a 10-day cruise and I wasn't going to sit by myself every night.

Roz

I sailed solo this past January and signed up for late traditional dining, which is my preferred time. My table for 6 consisted of a couple who were linked to a solo friend, another solo traveler and myself. I could not have asked for more congenial dining mates.

I had the opposite experience. I was seated at a table for 8, and no one showed up the first night. If they were solos, I can't imagine that 7 of them didn't come to dinner. 2nd night - again, I'm by myself. Waiter asked if I wanted to be seated somewhere else. He found a place for me. Not the best table but not the worst. It was a 10-day cruise and I wasn't going to sit by myself every night.

Roz

Thanks, ladies. Just to clarify, this was on Princess?

How hard is it to get a table for two and eat alone on Anytime Dining? I've done solo before, but although I was alone in my room, some friends were on the ship with me, so I ate with them most nights. I don't mind eating with/meeting different people, but with Anytime Dining, you're going to get different people every night and going through the same introductions and small talk can get old on a two-week cruise!

How hard is it to get a table for two and eat alone on Anytime Dining? I've done solo before, but although I was alone in my room, some friends were on the ship with me, so I ate with them most nights. I don't mind eating with/meeting different people, but with Anytime Dining, you're going to get different people every night and going through the same introductions and small talk can get old on a two-week cruise!

It's not difficult at all. If you ask for a table for yourself you will get one. Depending on what time you go to dinner, you might encounter a wait before a table is ready for you but not usually a very long one.

I just came back from a 16 day cruise on the Diamond Princess. This ship does not have Anytime dining so I chose early sitting at a table for 6. All my dining companions were from Australia - a married couple and another married couple traveling with a friend. I enjoyed dinners with them on many nights.

Several times I brought food back to the cabin and enjoyed dinner on my balcony watching the sailaway or a beautiful sunset.