Is the Dunn's River Falls climb dangerous?

inncntman

Also the locals at the sight are a big pain in the butt. They actually get rude when you ignore them or refuse to buy the junk they are selling. The next time we stop in Jamaica I will enjoy my time on the ship while it is empty.

Very , very true. A group of these yahoos surrounded my wife and started yelling at her because she wasn't buying their cheap junk. Had to wade in with both elbows swinging to get her away from them.

Later visited a so called shopping mall. Still on the bus when a security guard pulled a .45 and aimed it at a driver who was trying to run the barricade into the mall. Problem was we were in the line of fire if he decided to shoot.

I wouldn't cancel a cruise because it was going to Jamaica but I sure wouldn't bother to get off the ship.

I have NO desire to climb a waterfall....not sure what the attraction of that is...not sure why it seems to be the "thing to do" in Jamaica!

For the same reason people climb Everest. Sense of accomplishment. Most people cannot climb Everest but most people can climb the falls. It is one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean.

My husband and I climbed the falls at around 60. It was fun, but definitely slippery and somewhat dangerous. We hired one of the guys that stand around at the bottom and offer to 'help' you. He was actually very good. showed us where to put our hands and feet and even took a nice 'instant' picture of us.

I personally would not climb in one of the big groups that hold on to each other's hands--I needed my hands to balance and help myself climb and was very glad we had our own individual guide.

On another trip (we watched young grandkids on the beach while their parents climbed that time, since we'd already done it), I saw several people getting back on the ship with some big bruises, scrapes and cuts.

The guide we had that day told us that most days there are several broken bones or other serious injuries. I do believe him.

That said, I'd probably do it again, even at 69, because I like such things and don't want to live in a bubble.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

My husband and I climbed the falls at around 60. It was fun, but definitely slippery and somewhat dangerous. We hired one of the guys that stand around at the bottom and offer to 'help' you. He was actually very good. showed us where to put our hands and feet and even took a nice 'instant' picture of us.

I personally would not climb in one of the big groups that hold on to each other's hands--I needed my hands to balance and help myself climb and was very glad we had our own individual guide.

On another trip (we watched young grandkids on the beach while their parents climbed that time, since we'd already done it), I saw several people getting back on the ship with some big bruises, scrapes and cuts.

The guide we had that day told us that most days there are several broken bones or other serious injuries. I do believe him.

That said, I'd probably do it again, even at 69, because I like such things and don't want to live in a bubble.

No one in Jamaica does anything without expecting a tip for their help-especially for rich Americans. I don't think anyone is actually allowed to climb the falls without being "helped" by on of the locals....or maybe they like to make it seem that way to ensure their jobs. :rolleyes:

No one in Jamaica does anything without expecting a tip for their help-especially for rich Americans. I don't think anyone is actually allowed to climb the falls without being "helped" by on of the locals....or maybe they like to make it seem that way to ensure their jobs. :rolleyes:

You are probably right--I think our 'guide' at the falls was about $5 each, but well worth it. i think it would have been tough on our own. I am pretty sure you can climb on your own, though it's probably difficult to get by the guides, because on our second trip there, when we didn't climb, our sons and daughter's-in-laws and a 13 year old did just that.

I guess it helps to be around 30 and not 60, because they climbed the falls and were back to the beach really fast; they did it without a 'guide' too.

I thought the lines of people hanging onto hands looked dangerous, myself.