Tell me your marathon training story

Hi! Due to an incredible lapse in judgment :o, I am running the Marine Corps Marathon two months after I get off my 10-day Alaska cruise. This will be my first marathon. I'm working with a training group and a coach, and I'm sure we can modify the schedule so I can keep up with the training group without having to do 200-, 100-, 100-, and 160-lap training runs on the Grand Princess :) No real worries, but I would love to hear stories from fellow "cruisers with a running problem."

• 3 weeks later...

I usually book marathon recovery cruises, but I've done a few of those long runs onboard. I've also been known to do a ten miler on the treadmill before sail away. We did a running tour in St. Thomas. Im hoping to find more of those. It's a nice way to get in a short run.

My next challenge is keeping up training for a March marathon while on an 11 night sailing at the end of January. I haven't even figured out how long I have to run on the ship yet. I'm dreading the possibility that it might be 20.

• 3 months later...

Following up to let you know how my training went -- My coach said that "cross-training" could count toward my miles while I was traveling. For walking and running, I counted miles. For other activities, I counted time: 1 hour of snorkeling at a "fat-burn" heart rate = 4.5 miles, 1 hour of spin class at a much higher heart rate = 6 miles. (Yes, I'm slow. My LSD pace is 12:45.)

I was about 4 miles short of my goal for the entire 2-week trip. While nothing beats running, my Wednesday track workout and yesterday's 17+ miler weren't nearly as dreadful as they would have been if I hadn't made an effort to get my real and virtual miles done while on vacation.

I know you've already gone but general advice:

Two months is still plenty of time to get the mileage up.

The only successful way I was able to keep running was to split it up and do a morning and afternoon run. 7-8mi in the morning (before breakfast) for an hour and another set in the afternoon (before dinner). I was able to run 50-55 miles in a week this way. I know its boring but hey. Other tip is bring a squeeze water bottle so you can have more control in taking in fluids.

Also with some pre-planning you could check out where runners run on something like strava around the port areas and do some runs when you're not touring.

Of course the other big trick to all this is not to gain 5 lbs :rolleyes::o from eating all the delicious and abundant food.

Edited by greenfroggie