Gym Rats, how do you behave on vacation?

I was just curious as to how other gym rats handle being on vacation.

Do you skip the workouts/exercise?

Do you continue to eat healthy?

How do you handle all those tempting desserts?

I am in the fitness center every morning at 7:00.I walk as much as possible on the ship and walk at least 5 miles in every port.

I do not eat junk food on cruises .While it may taste great it is not worth the negativity to the body.

• 2 months later...

Even though it's been more than 4 years since Steven_&_Daniel asked their questions - they're still good; still valid. As gym rats like us anticipate our next cruise - those questions invite us to think ahead; to plan

The habit of group fitness classes is what we enjoy at home. So we recreate that experience as best we can while cruising. That means one of us "leads/coaches" the workout - and if other cruisers decide to jump in, all good! You'll find us in the gym most mornings 6am-ish.

Most memorable experience:
on a Princess cruise.

- Scissor Sisters Song:

- Five cruisers joined in with us

- Spa employees paused what they were doin' to come watch

- Applause when we finished

So, no - we don't skip workouts/exercise.

As for eating healthy...

- In late afternoon, the two of us go to the cafeteria/buffet for sushi

- Later, in main dining (free) we've learned to ask for an appetizer-sized portion of the entree.

And lastly, the tempting desserts...

-
Nope. Nothing. No control

- just awareness that every 100 calorie serving requires ten minutes more of cardio

Kudos to CadillacRon for sharing his appreciation of the gym on NCL Epic

As a bodybuilder, I tend to book ships based on the gym facilities. After 45+ cruises, I think NCL Epic has the most impressive gym. All the equiptment was new and the layout was great. It's the only cruise ship gym I know of that has a smith machine squat rack and a seated calf raise. I'm going on the Allure this spring so we'll see which one "wins"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use the stairs onboard always. I am always on the move. I had tried the treadmills in the gyms a few times, but only briefly. The ship movement and the treadmill movement aren't a good combination for my head. I have taken spin cycle classes onboard. Though, I don't use the gym a lot onboard, there have been a few cruises, I have come home having lost weight. It's simply because we are always on the go. I don't overeat, though the temptation with all that food is certainly there, but I also don't deprive myself of an extra dessert if it catches my eye. Cream filled desserts are my downfall. I can't resist.

• 5 months later...

I don't change much. I run my 5 miles a day and hit the gym for weights first thing each day so I have the rest of the day to relax and do whatever. Only thing I do change is that I eat what I want when I want...its a cruise, indulgences are part of it!!.

I care what I eat whether on a cruise or not. Still notice an increase in blood pressure that takes a few days to get back to normal after the cruise. I spend little time at the gym, but I have a vinyasa yoga practice that I follow. Also run/walk on the Promenade Deck or jogging track as well as briskly up and down stairs. I do drink as much wine as I want.

I go to the fitness center every morning at 7:00.I do as much walking as possible

• 2 weeks later...

I try to hit the gym or run/walk on the track every day. Even if it’s just for 30 min, I try to do something. Also, we never take the elevator... unless we have to when boarding or getting off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At home I go to the gym every day before work, and at least one weekend day. On vacation it depends on the day - if I know I'm going to do a lot of walking or if we're going ashore really early, I'll skip the workout. If it's a sea day or we don't put into port until 10 am or so, I'll get a workout in. In terms of diet I eat pretty much the same as at home - I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and I don't eat anything fried - I save my calories for alcohol :D

That's really my big indulgence on vacation - at home I don't drink at all during the work week, but on vacation it's always wine o'clock.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be going on my first cruise next May but I already know that I will not indulge in most of the food. I practice 16:8 intermittent fasting as a lifestyle but since I will not be cooking for the cruise I might switch to OMAD to offset the lack of control over the food. As with any other vacation I will run in the morning and take only the stairs. For me a vacation is about the experience and food is only a source of energy for my body and not a treat or reward. Of course no alcohol and I only drink water. To me it's not worth ruining my body right before swimsuit season just for a good time.

• 3 months later...

I eat everything and drink everything....alcoholic drinks as well since we usually get the beverage package.

The wife and I get to the gym right when it opens....usually 6:30 or so depending on ship. We'll run for 30 minutes then do a HIIT\crossfit style workout.

Usually about 10 rounds of dumbbell clean & jerks or dumbbell snatches, followed by pullups, situps, burpees and pushups.

If the ship has a Concept 2 rower, we'll mix it in for 2 minute intervals. 

We don't touch any machines and so everything is dumbbell or bodyweight. I also kinda chuckle at those guys doing heavy sets or whatever. It's a cruise ship gym so you are going to be limited.

Here is a good cruise ship workout that will really tax your muscles and aerobic capacity...

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, pc_load_letter said:

I eat everything and drink everything....alcoholic drinks as well since we usually get the beverage package.

The wife and I get to the gym right when it opens....usually 6:30 or so depending on ship. We'll run for 30 minutes then do a HIIT\crossfit style workout.

Usually about 10 rounds of dumbbell clean & jerks or dumbbell snatches, followed by pullups, situps, burpees and pushups.

If the ship has a Concept 2 rower, we'll mix it in for 2 minute intervals. 

We don't touch any machines and so everything is dumbbell or bodyweight. I also kinda chuckle at those guys doing heavy sets or whatever. It's a cruise ship gym so you are going to be limited.

Here is a good cruise ship workout that will really tax your muscles and aerobic capacity...

Have you found that a lot of ships have Concept 2 rowers? My husband and I are worried about the gym on RCL Serenade haha. We want to be able to get some workouts in on sea days without having to resort to using machines (barf). We will settle for dumbbells or kettlebells because we know they def won't have a squat rack. We've also looked up on Crossfit gyms in the USVI to drop in to. Hopefully they won't be too out of the way.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:12 AM, alidee12 said:

Have you found that a lot of ships have Concept 2 rowers? My husband and I are worried about the gym on RCL Serenade haha. We want to be able to get some workouts in on sea days without having to resort to using machines (barf). We will settle for dumbbells or kettlebells because we know they def won't have a squat rack. We've also looked up on Crossfit gyms in the USVI to drop in to. Hopefully they won't be too out of the way.

I have noticed more and more gyms with C2's. Even the small little ship I take out of Long Beach a couple times a year has one.

Looks like the Serenade does have a rower. Here is a link to the pics of the gym...

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/serenade-of-the-seas-282/vitality-fitness-center-214436/vitality-fitness-center--v10797296/

Word of warning though....any ship fitness area gets busy. My wife and I get there as soon as they open, especially on sea days. On days where you are at port, most people are getting off for their excursions so it will be not so busy. On port days, it will get more busy later in the afternoon as people return to the ship, usually around 3 to 5 pm.

Definitely look up dumbbell and bodyweight routines.

20 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I have noticed more and more gyms with C2's. Even the small little ship I take out of Long Beach a couple times a year has one.

Looks like the Serenade does have a rower. Here is a link to the pics of the gym...

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/serenade-of-the-seas-282/vitality-fitness-center-214436/vitality-fitness-center--v10797296/

Word of warning though....any ship fitness area gets busy. My wife and I get there as soon as they open, especially on sea days. On days where you are at port, most people are getting off for their excursions so it will be not so busy. On port days, it will get more busy later in the afternoon as people return to the ship, usually around 3 to 5 pm.

Definitely look up dumbbell and bodyweight routines.

That’s wonderful. Thanks for linking me and for all that info!!  At least we can row and use dumbbells or whatnot for sea days. Worse comes to worse, I don’t mind using the leg press if I can’t use a barbell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

29 minutes ago, alidee12 said:

That’s wonderful. Thanks for linking me and for all that info!!  At least we can row and use dumbbells or whatnot for sea days. Worse comes to worse, I don’t mind using the leg press if I can’t use a barbell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

No problem. Happy to help. Did you know there is a crossfit cruise?....https://wodonthewaves.com/

On 2/11/2013 at 3:50 PM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Stairs. Zumba and dancing. Up early and walking deck for sunrise. Banana and grapefruit for breakfast. Salad and fresh fruit. Drink lots of water. 

Practice my own yoga. Legs up the wall pose. 

I do eat a decent dinner.

Diamond on RCL so some gin and tonics.

My wife and I enjoy an active cruise and usually break even on weight gain.

Celebrity use to have grilled to order fish and fresh salad in Aqua Spa cafe but no more. One great thing they had plain yogurt with fresh berries and chia seeds made to order. Wishing the cruise lines would cater more for the health conscious.

• 1 month later...

I workout much later than my usual 330am because the gyms aren't 24 hrs. I'm there when the ship gym opens to avoid any crowds (and people who think the pec deck is a chair). 

I use the stairs and eat sensibly but not as strict at home.  Two desserts per day, at most.  I usually opt for the fruit plate at dessert. Wave away the bread people - they are evil. 

• 2 months later...

My husband and I watch what we eat all year long so on a cruise/vacation (2x per year) we pretty much eat whatever we want, including drinks. For workouts we always say we are going to workout every morning (cardio/weights) but seems like around the 3-4th day that falls by the wayside and we end up feeling guilty. That being said we always take stairs, our idea of eating a lot is considerably less than the average american, and we walk everywhere. For our upcoming cruise which is 3 ports and 3 sea days we have decided to go with the flow and accept that we will only workout on the sea days. We'll see how that works out. We do quite a few Beachbody workouts so i usually find a small corner of the fitness center or even just do the workout in our room. 

• 9 months later...

i teach exercise classes and find if I don't workout while on a cruise, i'll be sore when I come back to teach.  Not fun. so i try to get in a 30 minute strength training workout every other day and using the stairs as much as possible. Eating-wise, i eat what i want but i stop when i'm full. my Achilles heel is the alchemy bar. yummy drinks but lots of calories!

Edited by ninjacat123

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2013 at 3:50 PM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

I try to eat clean, stick to my work out schedule. Of course on a ship or at a resort, adjustments have to be made, but working out is such a part of me, I cannot ignore it on vacation. 

Mark, feel free to shoot me an email, love chatting with fellow cruisers.

newsenmark@gmail.com 

00.26.04.jpg

• 9 months later...

I can't outrun my fork! 

I practice intermittent fasting--sometimes 16:8, sometimes 20:4, occasionally OMAD (one meal a day). I haven't cruised since I became a gym rat/intermittent faster, but with an early dining time it seems easy enough in theory.

My goal is to hit the gym at my normal time, around 11 am. At home I do a 2-mile run and weight training, alternating upper and lower body. On the days where I don't weight-train, I run for 4 miles. Every few days I have an active recovery day (brisk 2-mile walk and stretching) or a full-on rest day. I'm excited to hit the treadmills and/or running track onboard. It'll definitely be a prettier view than my local Y! I'm also choosing the most active excursions I can find. 

As for dining, I'm about 95% whole-food plant-based, and the vegan menu looks okay. I actually have higher hopes for the buffet so that I can get lots of fresh vegetables, AND that it's open for dinner by the time I cruise! I only wish I could bring my immersion blender onboard so that I could make my protein shakes. But I'm sure I'll get by. 😉