Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Being an avid user of spa facilities (fitness equipment, steamroom, sauna, etc) and having traveled on a just a few lines (RCI, Celebrity, NCL), I was wondering what other cruise lines or ships have the best facilities.

Describe facility configurations (amount of equipment, access, co-ed vs. men's only) and service-level (clean, well-attended, etc.)

Thanks!;)

I just came back from an Alaskan cruise on the Diamond Princess and visited the gym/spa area daily. The workout area is a bit small for all the equipment that is packed in. There are cardio machines galore where one can sign up for spots on a 30-minute time frame for the complete cruise length at the beginning of the cruise. Can't comment at all on the free weights or other machines.

There is a separate exercise floor where spinning classes, yoga, and stretching classes are held. Those classes do have an added cost, but the I thought the added cost was really quite minimal for the interaction we had with the instructor. He was well aware how everyone in the classes was holding up and, while not babying anyone, kept the level of intensity going for whatever level you were attaining.

The locker room is quite separate from the gym area, being used also for those using the spa treatment folks. It was much closer to the massage rooms, etc. The lockers are small, but that really didn't bother me. If someone is bringing their gym bag with them, it will NOT fit in the locker.

The steamroom was quite large with seating for up to 14 men. I would assume the women's would be the same. The sauna was a bit tighter on space but when it was cooking it was able to pump the heat quite nicely. There was one day when, for whatever reason, it wasn't working, but it was fine the following day; glitches happen...

Overall, I was quite pleased with the whole spa setup. :D

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Canyon Ranch Spa on the QM2 is simply amazing. I used it daily during my crossing and it is as as good if not better than anything on land. There is a large cardio room, weights room with free weights and lifefitness machines and full spa services. Plus the AquaSpa, a wonderful retreat with several therapy pools, steam, sauna, etc. Hard to describe. The massages I had (daily) were outstanding...much better than anything I've ever experienced on other RCI and Princess ships. Go on the QM2. For this and many other reasons, you will leave in total euphoria.

• 3 months later...

I am going on my 5th HAL cruise in March 2006. Have always enjoyed the use of their spa facilities. There have been changes over the years - now you have to pay daily fee to use steam room (which are also now co-ed) - but (so far) there has always been a sauna in the men's change room (ditto for the women's I imagine). If anyone knows about the Zuiderdam sauna and/or steam areas, kindly let me know - thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why aren't sauna and steambath facilities coed on most cruiselines? My wife and I really enjoy going to spa centers to use the sauna and steambaths, on our cruise (diamond princess) we have to go seperatly in our lockerrooms?!

Seems to me (experienced) sauna users don't mind a coed sauna!

Why aren't sauna and steambath facilities coed on most cruiselines? My wife and I really enjoy going to spa centers to use the sauna and steambaths, on our cruise (diamond princess) we have to go seperatly in our lockerrooms?!

Seems to me (experienced) sauna users don't mind a coed sauna!

Maybe cause most sauna user prefer to go nakid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

LOL

America has NO sauna culture like the Europeans have and even if it is separated I have seen guys going in clothes...YES in shoes and shorts and shirt...into the Sauna. In Europe it is the most normal thing to be naked in front of each other, but NOT in the US. That is the reason it is mostly seperated. I had a good laugh, when I was the first time in the Sauna over in the US, but after living many years over here I like it seperated myself.

On HAL as well as Celebrity is always a Sauna (no charge) in the locker room, but the full facility (different Saunas and Steam Rooms) is for charge and mixed up with man and women.

• 4 weeks later...

The gym has ample treadmills, free weights, and machines. The sauna for men and women are separate areas with a lockeroom, shower facilities (with great shampoo and body wash), shaving gear, and lots of towels. The sauna seats 12 comfortably, and the large porthole provides for an excellent view of the passing scenery. Two steamrooms along with a dry heat, a heated bench, lemon flavored water for drinking, and floral scented showers are located in the Persian Garden. There's a daily and or weekly charge to enter the Persian garden, and its usually quiet in there. The steamroom has pin lights that change color for ambience, its a great place to relax.

NYK - the Japan parent company of Crystal has a ship called the ASUKA, it has a great japanese bath house facilities. With a shower room that you would in any 5 star japanese hotel. They have a hot tub, a cold plunge, and both steam and dry saunas. The soaps and shaving equipment are top of the line. They even have cold bottled water available at no charge for guest. The walls are glass with awesome views of the ocean, port, or scenery. Their gym facility is almost lacking, very little to now equipment, a couple of exercise bikes and a treadmill.

The Coral Princess has something similar to the Persian garden, but the staff isnt as attentive as Celebrity. Towels frequently ran out and no towels were available in the Mens only sauna. The gym was great with excellent threadmills and weight equipment. The shower in the sauna area was better than one we had in our balcony (BA) stateroom.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Most of the cruise ship's spas are contracted out by Steiner. The Disney Wonder has a nice co-ed turkish bath spa (they charge $15 a day but it is well worth it) and a great workout facility. The gym was always empty, had the tv's built into all the treadmills, elipticals and stairmasters. You could watch a variety of movies or the usual gym stations.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

• 1 month later...

The Opera provides separate saunas ansd steam rooms for men and woman. The sauna is just a sauna, however - it is the steam that excels. It is set up in a semi-circle - seating on two levels - with an intricate mosaic pattern. Very exotic! The facilities on the new Musica are supposed to be even better.

That being said, i do like the set-up of the facilities on the Carnival Conquest series of ships. The separate steamroom and sauna b oth havelarge windows - perfect for viewing the setting sun, or other ships go by. And the lockers have LOTS of large, comfy towels - much better than the cabib towels. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, going on Summit in a few weeks, can someone comment on the fitness facilities there? They are supposed to be well equipped. I'm rather confused regarding charges for the sauna and steam room, I've heard some say they charge and others say they don't charge. I think it is silly to charge patrons for anything other than spa services. Is it coed? As for that issue, I guess I am rather shy, not that I have a great body for people to gawk at :p but I prefer having men and women in their own saunas/steam rooms!

Hey guys, going on Summit in a few weeks, can someone comment on the fitness facilities there? They are supposed to be well equipped. I'm rather confused regarding charges for the sauna and steam room, I've heard some say they charge and others say they don't charge. I think it is silly to charge patrons for anything other than spa services. Is it coed? As for that issue, I guess I am rather shy, not that I have a great body for people to gawk at :p but I prefer having men and women in their own saunas/steam rooms!

You will find that they only charge for the Persian Garden on Summit. The dry sauna area is free of charge.

The Persian Garden is CoEd and the saunas are in ther ladies and Gents changing rooms.

The pool is also free.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed the men's spa room on Costa Atlantica, which's separate from the ladies. It has a spacious locker room, showers with massage jets coming from the sidewalls, a large steam room with a floor-to-ceiling picture window providing magnificent seaview and a sauna again with picture window. There is a door which leads into the whirlpool and rest area which is co-ed. As Costa is catered mostly for the European clientele, the spa is clothing optional.

• Like 2