Ovation of the seas in Brisbane

suey

Head out to Pinkenba and drive along Main Beach Road (don't get too excited there is no beach there!!) go right to the end of the road and you will be able to see her across the river.

There is no public viewing area at the port - other than from car park area which is also restricted.

Edited by Bizziecruzer
Addition

Does anyone know what the best vantage point to see the ship when it is in Brisbane on Wednesday?

This is what it looks like from there. Not a pretty sight (apart from the ship). Just downstream from the main sewage outlet and I believe just about where they want to put the new Luggage Point Cruise Terminal.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Queen+Mary+2+Look+Out/@-27.3822901,153.1540985,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-Bjf2pdDqcVU%2FVurOolqRLOI%2FAAAAAAAAPok%2F6fESVKQ3x2I_dNqvI2syom5OPmRoK9V2QCJkC!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F-Bjf2pdDqcVU%2FVurOolqRLOI%2FAAAAAAAAPok%2F6fESVKQ3x2I_dNqvI2syom5OPmRoK9V2QCJkC%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i4160!8i3120!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xca18bb80634c4f77!8m2!3d-27.3822901!4d153.1540972!6m1!1e1

A friend who is a ship's pilot working out of the port of Brisbane told us this morning that the Arcadia is at the Grain Terminal in addition to the Ovation of the Seas. Apparently Arcadia is at Berth # 1 and the Ovation at #2. P&O must have booked first. It would be chaos on the road down to Fishermans Island today with the constant stream of large trucks carrying shipping containers to and from the wharf and the tour buses for passengers on these two ships.

A friend who is a ship's pilot working out of the port of Brisbane told us this morning that the Arcadia is at the Grain Terminal in addition to the Ovation of the Seas. Apparently Arcadia is at Berth # 1 and the Ovation at #2. P&O must have booked first. It would be chaos on the road down to Fishermans Island today with the constant stream of large trucks carrying shipping containers to and from the wharf and the tour buses for passengers on these two ships.

Not sure how the berths are arranged but it could be that the Ovation cannot get past the Arcadia (or the other way around) while they are both there.

Not sure how the berths are arranged but it could be that the Ovation cannot get past the Arcadia (or the other way around) while they are both there.

The official name is 'Multi Purpose Berth.' But grain terminal it is, at Fishermans Island. Plus pax disembarking and embarking there too. Our QM2 is also berthed there on 4 March.:mad:

Which idiot designed the Brisbane Cruise Terminal, which excludes the larger vessels?:p:(

A real scenic welcome to overseas visitors, not. !!!

The official name is 'Multi Purpose Berth.' But grain terminal it is, at Fishermans Island. Plus pax disembarking and embarking there too. Our QM2 is also berthed there on 4 March.:mad:

Which idiot designed the Brisbane Cruise Terminal, which excludes the larger vessels?:p:(

I think most of the fault probably lies with the Sir Leo Hielscher Bridges (Gateway Bridge).

I'm not sure why Portside Terminal was put on the western side of the bridge and not down river around where the Tangalooma ferry docks.

Probably had something to do with more money to made from Hamilton real estate.

Anyway, I believe that except right at the mouth of the Brisbane River there really isn't enough room for the big ships to turn around in. Apparently they don't like backing out.;)

Yes, I am familiar with the Passenger terminal (marquee) at the grain terminal. I was unsure as to if Berth 1 was up further up river compared to Berth 2.

I think most of the fault probably lies with the Sir Leo Hielscher Bridges (Gateway Bridge).

Similarly in Sydney, where Bradfield built the Harbour Bridge without thought for the future when cruiseships would be unable to pass under the bridge on their way to White Bay ;)

I read people suggesting not to go and see Ovation today as - not surprisingly - it's chaos. Apparently there are roadworks as well and people are getting turned around without even seeing the ship.

Thanks for the sitrep. I can only imagine then what it will be like up there when QM2 docks on Saturday 4 March, with the masses wanting a look, plus embarkation/disembarkation My brother and sister live on the Gold Coast, they were coming up to take us out for lunch, think it will be easier if we catch the QM2 free shuttle into Brisvegas CBD to avoid the traffic congestion, easier all round.:eek:

e60eca7f7e475135d511116108ea5199.jpg

Went for a drive to see ship this afternoon, a lot of cruise tragics had the same idea, close to 100 cars parked and all kinds of people doing the walk to the rivers edge to have a look. We watched her sail out past the Arcadia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums