Sharks, Rays, Barrier Reef Snorkel & Island Escape--Carnival

mulewagon

I was looking at the excursion "Sharks, Rays, Barrier Reef Snorkel & Island Escape" through Carnival, and have just a couple of questions for anyone who's done this one.

1) Is the lunch included in the excursion price? It says that you order while on the ride over.

2) Can you get a shower on Caye Caulker? An outside one would be fine, or a hose.

1) Lunch is not included but it is very cheap and average.

2) Don't remember seeing any. Sorry.

With that said, it is one of the best excursions you can take for Belize. To me, it is the best. Caye Caulker is a phenomel little, rustic, fishing island with great food and beauty. The snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley is very easy to do and the marine life is amazing.

We went on this excursion last month. Lunch is either on your own or they take orders for a little restaurant they recommend on the island. We did the restaurant recommended and it was cheap and yummy. There are outside showers right at the boat dock. One of the best cruise excursions we have ever done. Highly recommend. In fact, we are taking another cruise to Belize in December and going on the excursion for the second time in less than a year :)

• 2 weeks later...

We did this, but with NCL, and had an awesome time (it works the same way, they take your order on the boat before you get there and have it ready when you return).

If you want to check out my review from that day, it has plenty of pictures. It's a great experience swimming with the sharks!

How much time is given to spend on Caye Caulker after the snorkeling is done? I am hoping for enough time to have lunch and walk around some. I also read that golf carts can be rented. That sounds fun too. Anyone have information to share about golf cart rental?

How much time is given to spend on Caye Caulker after the snorkeling is done? I am hoping for enough time to have lunch and walk around some. I also read that golf carts can be rented. That sounds fun too. Anyone have information to share about golf cart rental?

While I don't remember the exact time that they allowed you to stay there after we returned, I know that we had plenty of time to eat and then go walk around the area. We walked up and down the streets exploring and taking pictures and also wondered off into the side streets looking at the homes and the other side of the island before heading back. We stopped at a little local store to buy some sun screen and did some shopping on the way back. We took our time and didn't feel rushed at all. Once we returned back to the restaurant and dock area, we had plenty of time to use the restroom and we still hung out at the tables at the restaurant talking to the vendors and locals. :)

I'm not sure about the golf cart rental since we went everywhere by walking.

We went on this excursion last month. Lunch is either on your own or they take orders for a little restaurant they recommend on the island. We did the restaurant recommended and it was cheap and yummy. There are outside showers right at the boat dock. One of the best cruise excursions we have ever done. Highly recommend. In fact, we are taking another cruise to Belize in December and going on the excursion for the second time in less than a year :)

I may be doing this twice too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

We are looking at this excursion when we cruise at the end of this month. We are cruising with my 73 year old (very young for her age) mom, but she is not a confident swimmer at all. Is the snorkeling done from the boat or from a shoreline? Also, do you swim over to the sharks/rays or go from a boat? With the sharks and rays is there a shallow part where people can stand? Also, is there a place a person can go if the decide not to snorkel or get scared?

Thanks for the info.

We are looking at this excursion when we cruise at the end of this month. We are cruising with my 73 year old (very young for her age) mom, but she is not a confident swimmer at all. Is the snorkeling done from the boat or from a shoreline? Also, do you swim over to the sharks/rays or go from a boat? With the sharks and rays is there a shallow part where people can stand? Also, is there a place a person can go if the decide not to snorkel or get scared?

Thanks for the info.

They take you to the location by boat. It's not from the shoreline, as in walk in from the shore. When the boats pull up, the rays and sharks come swimming over to the boat. They know they are about to get fed. You just simply go down the ladder and into the water and watch. You have a life jacket on and the water is not very deep at all. (We couldn't stand on the bottom, but not deep). I would let the guides know that she is not a very good swimmer so that they can keep an eye on her or help her if needed. If she decides she does not want to snorkel with them, she can simply stay on the boat and watch from up there. You still get to see them.

These were taken from us sitting on the boat still.

PB120115%20copy-M.jpg

PB120110%20copy-M.jpg

PB120117%20copy-M.jpg

This shows about how deep the water was (of course this can probably vary during the year/tide/weather/where the vendor docks, but it will give you an idea)

PB120007%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

Plan to book this excursion thru Carnival for Sept. I have a question about shopping in Caye Caulker. I read on here about a small amount of street vendors and little shops, Can I find items like magnets and shot glasses in Caye Caulker or will I have to find those type things around port area?

Can you take this excursion and just stay in Caye Caulker instead of doing the snorkeling and meet them before you head back to port?

Yes, they stop at CC first for bathroom break and food orders. Then they come back after the snorkeling to eat and enjoy a little bit of time on CC.

Plan to book this excursion thru Carnival for Sept. I have a question about shopping in Caye Caulker. I read on here about a small amount of street vendors and little shops, Can I find items like magnets and shot glasses in Caye Caulker or will I have to find those type things around port area?

Mostly the port area but there are little shops all over CC. You will find some there as well but better options at port.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this excursion with Carnival, and we left a bit disappointed. Maybe we were there on an off day and the time was cut short, but we only had 30 min of snorkeling, 30 min with rays, and then an hour at Caye Caulker. We loved the actual time in the water, but it just all felt rushed. So just fyi in case you are planning to do this excursion!

We just did this excursion with Carnival, and we left a bit disappointed. Maybe we were there on an off day and the time was cut short, but we only had 30 min of snorkeling, 30 min with rays, and then an hour at Caye Caulker. We loved the actual time in the water, but it just all felt rushed. So just fyi in case you are planning to do this excursion!

Wow, that is horrible. To me, anyways. We always had around 90 minutes of snorkeling and around the same on Caye Caulker.

• 5 weeks later...