Special food orders

zship

Lobster tail, creamed spinach, green beans and asparagus for the Patio "Hot Rocks" grill.

(I'm hoping steakhouse-type vegetables will be added to the regular Hot Rocks menu by the time I take my next SS cruise. Now you get 5-6 small pieces of assorted vegetables on a skewer.)

We made a whole special Chinese dinner last summer on the Cloud. We were on the London-London cruise that stopped midway in Reykjavik. We had become friendly with a bunch of other couples and decided to host a party!

We worked with Jorge the head of the MDR. They printed up invitations and put them on the door and people RSVP'd to the Reception.

Cocktails and appetizers were had in the Bar I believe and then we went down to eat. I had worked out with Jorge several days in advance the menu items. I gave him some suggestions and he was able to do every one!

Some of the menu items were: salmon in an Asian glaze, beef and broccoli, shrimp lo mein, duck and maybe a chicken dish? They came around and served everything family style.

ColonelWes ordered up some of his favorite after dinner drinks and it was a really great time.

I got the idea to do it after hearing about people here made an Indian dinner. Other diners were looking over to see what we got.

They really did a wonderful job in making everything I asked for. I only picked dishes that I thought would be easy for them to do. I figured they would have beef and broccoli and could make them together :D

Iceland-07-29-2013-1423.jpg.58b1caabc413ce8a1cf6129bf31607f2.jpg

Edited by farbster
add picture

Indian or Thai curries, preferably for a whole table. Snails (although they can be ordered on the same day i.e. at lunch), and we have also done the lobster tails on the pool grill.

And as a special treat, and with the right maitre'd, beef tartare for lunch in the main dinning room.

Edited by Silver Spectre

When you leave the MDR in the evening, request whatever you would like for dinner the next evening. If it is on the ship, it is yours! Enjoy!
Or even breakfast. I told one of the chefs that I occasionally liked some grilled fish for breakfast, she said, no problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I thought I would mention that one can order from the room/suite service menu at any time in the Restaurant. The same kitchen services both the MDR and room service. So, if one feels like a hot dog or burger or large salad or pizza, etc., one can ask for it without advance notice in the MDR. On a couple of occasions I have had a burger and fries/onion rings as a main course for dinner. People around me were puzzled, as these items were not on the daily or "always available" menu.

On the Shadow in May we asked if the Galley could produce an Indian meal for 8 people in the MDR the following evening. Of course, it was no problem and absolutely delicious. We asked, the following week, for the same 8 of us to be served an authentic Philippino meal - none of us knowing what to expect. It was wonderful; moreover, the Philippino chef and waiting staff were clearly very proud of their national food and we had the most wonderful dining experience.

On the Shadow in May we asked if the Galley could produce an Indian meal for 8 people in the MDR the following evening. Of course, it was no problem and absolutely delicious. We asked, the following week, for the same 8 of us to be served an authentic Philippino meal - none of us knowing what to expect. It was wonderful; moreover, the Philippino chef and waiting staff were clearly very proud of their national food and we had the most wonderful dining experience.

A great idea. We will do it on our next trip. Thanks for the suggestion.