rccl dock

rxgirl05

Coxen Hole is much better than where Carnival docks. There are a ton of shops right out on the street once you exit the pier area...You are also closer to the popular West Bay beach as well...Photo docking at Coxen..

SANY1835.jpg

Edited by TXSAIL

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a RCCL cruise that stopped in Roatan last week and was extremely disappointed with the Coxen Hole dock. It was dirty and crowded with very limited shopping and eating options. We made the mistake of taking a few steps outside of the port's security gates and were immediately pounced on by a scarily aggressive gang wanting us to buy their wares or visit their shops. We quickly retreated back into the port's secure area. Knowing that Carnival's Mahogany Bay dock is super nice, we inquired about taking a taxi there for $50 round-trip, but the wives were so spooked by then, they wanted to return to the safety of the ship. RCCL should be embarrassed to stop at this port. We will NEVER visit Roatan again unless the stop is at Mahogany. Definitely the low point of our cruise.

Just returned from a RCCL cruise that stopped in Roatan last week and was extremely disappointed with the Coxen Hole dock. It was dirty and crowded with very limited shopping and eating options. We made the mistake of taking a few steps outside of the port's security gates and were immediately pounced on by a scarily aggressive gang wanting us to buy their wares or visit their shops. We quickly retreated back into the port's secure area. Knowing that Carnival's Mahogany Bay dock is super nice, we inquired about taking a taxi there for $50 round-trip, but the wives were so spooked by then, they wanted to return to the safety of the ship. RCCL should be embarrassed to stop at this port. We will NEVER visit Roatan again unless the stop is at Mahogany. Definitely the low point of our cruise.

You're so right and why people need to make sure to book an excursion (through the ship or well know independent) when docked in Coxen Hole. ;)

LuLu

• 4 weeks later...

We were just in Roatan on RCCL and loved it! I had never been before, but I knew when I got off the ship I wanted to get a taxi and told them the resort I wanted to go to. The driver negotiated when he would come back to pick us up. He was on time, we had a great snorkeling experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat :) Never felt unsafe or unsure

Edited by ttfnkt93

Just be aware that if there are no ships at Mahogany Bay, it will not be open. Likewise, unless your ship is NOT docked at Mahogany Bay, you will not be allowed entry to the beach, although you may be able to get into the shopping area, unless they are checking ship ids at the main gate. But the same shops are in Coxen Hole.

In either port, you are probably better off taking a taxi to where you want to go. Taxis inside the cruise port areas can charge slightly higher prices that taxis outside the cruise port.