Cane on Plane???

kcdancerkc

Just be careful when you open the compartment back up at your deestination. Items can, and do, shift during flight. DW's cane fell and hit a fellow passenger in the head when another man HAD to open the compatment and leave ASAP.

Just be careful when you open the compartment back up at your deestination. Items can, and do, shift during flight. DW's cane fell and hit a fellow passenger in the head when another man HAD to open the compatment and leave ASAP.

That is so funny to me and I use a cane. I have a weird sense of humour. They can also put them in the hanging luggage up front. And oh, when you go thru airport security they swab the cane. No big deal.

Thanks! Do I ask for a wheelchair 1/2 way to houston? So it can be ready?

There is no way my dad could run thru there for next flight with neuropathy

I had to be wheeled around after my honeymoon there with swollen legs last year - traveling edema - soooo much fun!

Also, tell one of the flight attendants during the flight. Although I had a wheelchair ordered for my connection once, it never appeared and I ended up having to walk it while in a cast and on crutches. We saw plenty of empty wheelchairs as we made our way through, with people who were guarding them, but they wouldn't allow me to use one because they had never gotten the order.

One other point. Has your father cruised before? The ships are almost as long as three football fields. It is a lot of walking. You might consider renting a wheelchair or scooter to use on board and in ports.

Did you reserve an accessible room for him? That has to be done quite early as they go fast. If not, you need a wheelchair and not a scooter. Just saying.

Call the cruise line and ask which company they use. I use a rollator. It has wheels and a built in seat. Even so, I rent a scooter. It sure makes the cruise more enjoyable!!!

We always request wheelchair assist when we book our air, however, you can request this at any time. As someone has already pointed out, it is a good idea to confirm with the cabin crew that there will be a wheelchair available for you when you land.

We are renting a wheelchair for the whole cruise - but don't get it till embarkation -

Our itty bitty airport will be do-able with his cane

It's Houston and FLL we will need to get a lift for him : )

He's only 68 - but man - that neuropathy is getting really progressive

He has been on Alaskan cruise 20 years ago -- when well

Every port we planned a beach - roll him there - already mapped out - then once he gets in the water - to snorkel and swim - hoping will take the pressure off of walking

One other issue with the cane in the overhead bin. The way people stuff them these days, keep an eye out that it doesn't get caught between other items and snaps into pieces. If sitting by the window it is sometimes possible to keep it in the space next to you where it does not obstruct anyone's foot clearance or exit.

We were on a flight two days ago. When the man in front of me opened the bin, my cane fell and bonked a man in the aisle pretty hard. He was not a happy camper. I apologized, and he said it was not my fault, it was THAT MAN. And the guy in front of me almost ran off the plane. LOL. Laughing was all I could do.

• 3 weeks later...

My Wife is Mobility Impaired and walks with a Cane.

She has never had a problem carrying her cane on Board with her, TSA has had her put it though the X-Ray Machine. Most Airlines allow you a Carry-On with a Personal Item, she never has had a problem bringing the Cane on the Plane with a Carry-On and a Purse. The Flight Attendant usually asks her to put it into the overhead Luggage Compartment.

If you think that the walk might be too long you can request a Wheelchair.

We request one when we make the reservation and then about a week before I'll call to double check. When you check-in all you need to do is tell them that you need a wheelchair. When I'm not traveling with her I will get a Gate Pass that will allow me to go though Security with her. Though we have found that it is better to have the Employee push the Wheelchair as they know where the elevators are and ways to get around better then we do. Another thing I do is to make sure that a Wheelchair is noted on the reservation at each leg of the trip. We have found that the Airline and Airport Staff is really helpful 99% of the time when you let them know what you need. The other 1% of the time we make a note and let a Supervisor know. One thing to keep in mind is that most of the time in our experience the Employees with the Wheelchairs do not work directly for the Airline or Airport.

I am using a cane for several years now. It's a metal cane, so it goes on the conveyor belt for x-ray. They have a wooden cane to help you walk through metal detector, just ask if not offered.

I make a w/chair reservation at the time of ticket reservation when picking the seats. When getting of a plane, they have a list of names, and if your name is not on it, you won't get a w/chair. So call the airline, give them your reservation number, don't wait till the last moment.

It's not only walking far, it's also shorter security line, help with suitcase, you don't have to figure out where to go, they know shortcuts and elevators... and a few dollars tip is expected.

If your pre-reserved wheelchair is not waiting as you exit the plane, do NOT get off the plane. The air crew cannot leave until the plane is cleared of passengers. It is amazing how fast the wheelchair can show up when the air crew has to wait for wheelchair attendant.

Another suggestion, I bought a FOLDING cane for traveling, and I can fold it and put it in the seat back in fromt of me. That way I do not have to depend on anyone to get itdown for me if I have to use the restroom. Also, when you arrive st airport, try and check your bags outside and tell the porters that you have prereserved a wheelchair. The porter will make sure your Dad has one and a "pusher" and that pusher will take your Dad in, make sure you are checked in, take him through security, etc. and to his gate where he will either leave him sitting in chair or have him transfer to airport seating. Be SURE your Dad tells his pusher if he has to go to restroom BEFORE he gets to the gate. They will stop so he can, otherwise they may just dump him at gate and he'd be stuck. ( I often volunteer my DH to push a stuck wheelchair traveler, if they are on their own, to the restroom when I go with my scooter). Of course, if your family is with him you could have his own built in pusher. Dont forget to tip the pusher at least a couple of dollars when he/ she gets Dad to his destination.Have a great trip!

I keep my cane with me in the seat...sort of between my legs so I have it when I need the bathroom. Not an issue.

I'm surprised the TA's have allowed this. It's a direct violation of FAA rules. If you are in a window seat, you can put it on the floor against the wall and under the seat in front of you, but it does need to be stowed during take off and landing.

Archived