Island Ideas

Notion_of_the_Ocean

Greetings fellow cruisers! I am posting here because we are planning a future Hawaii cruise and want to make sure we take advantage of the best stuff the islands have to offer since I do not know if and when another chance will come to visit Hawaii. Below are my ideas and questions I have for each port. Comments on my ideas (whether I should keep or scrap them for something else) and suggestions are highly appreciated.

For Oahu (3 days pre-cruise) my ideas are:

1) Explore Waikiki

2) Pearl Harbor

3) Diamond Head?

4) Kailua (if there is reasonably quick and inexpensive way of getting there)?

5) Chiefs Luau

6) Aloha Tower Marketplace (is this easy to do after checking in and boarding the ship Saturday morning?)

For Maui:

1) Lahaina & Kaanapali (via $2 per person per ride bus...I hear there are $4 day passes as well?)

2) Would it be possible to still make the sunset on Haleakala...would you recommend this or something else?

3) More suggestions for day two???

For Hilo:

1) Volcanoes National Park

2) Akaka Falls

Important question for Hilo:

Would there be enough time to comfortably rent a car to see these attractions to save some money? The POA is docked here 8am-6pm.

There is a NCL Crater Rim Hike/Akaka Falls excursion if the above would be stressful I will go with this.

Kona:

I am clueless...

1) My understanding is that there is plenty right by the port here?

2) Beaches? Would you recommend any here or is Kona time better spent on something else?

I am really looking forward to your comments about this port

Kauai:

I know the big attraction here is a Helicopter tour. I would really like to experience this but they seem to be all insanely priced.

I also know that some of the big attractions... Waimea Canyon, Hanalei Bay, and Napali Coast. I really want to hear your suggestions for this island as well.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

For Honolulu - I would keep Diamond Head in the plans.

For Maui - I would rent a car. It's inexpensive, will give you a lot more flexibility and take a lot less time to get around than using the very limited bus service. I would devote one day to West Maui - Lahaina, Kaanapali - and further west, to Napili, Kapalua and up to Nakalele Blowhole - and then back the same way.

On Day 2, drive up Haleakala in the daytime and if you are up to doing some hiking, do a small portion of the Sliding Sands trail (it starts at the summit visitor's center.) If you don't like to hike, just enjoy the views from the summit for a while. You can fit Iao Valley into that day as well.

For Hilo - yes, not a problem fitting both in (you can map it out on google maps to get an idea of driving times) but I would recommend spending more time at VNP and skipping Akaka Falls. VNP is worthy of your whole time.

Kona - I wouldn't be able to spend a day there because I don't like the town enough, but others seem to be happy with it. If you want to spend time at nice beaches, I would rent a car and head to the S. Kohala Coast.

Kauai - I would rent a car here as well and drive to Waimea Canyon on one of your days.

What time of year are you thinking of doing the cruise?

Greetings fellow cruisers! I am posting here because we are planning a future Hawaii cruise and want to make sure we take advantage of the best stuff the islands have to offer since I do not know if and when another chance will come to visit Hawaii. Below are my ideas and questions I have for each port. Comments on my ideas (whether I should keep or scrap them for something else) and suggestions are highly appreciated.

For Oahu (3 days pre-cruise) my ideas are:

1) Explore Waikiki

2) Pearl Harbor

3) Diamond Head?

4) Kailua (if there is reasonably quick and inexpensive way of getting there)?

5) Chiefs Luau

6) Aloha Tower Marketplace (is this easy to do after checking in and boarding the ship Saturday morning?)

For Maui:

1) Lahaina & Kaanapali (via $2 per person per ride bus...I hear there are $4 day passes as well?)

2) Would it be possible to still make the sunset on Haleakala...would you recommend this or something else?

3) More suggestions for day two???

For Hilo:

1) Volcanoes National Park

2) Akaka Falls

Important question for Hilo:

Would there be enough time to comfortably rent a car to see these attractions to save some money? The POA is docked here 8am-6pm.

There is a NCL Crater Rim Hike/Akaka Falls excursion if the above would be stressful I will go with this.

Kona:

I am clueless...

1) My understanding is that there is plenty right by the port here?

2) Beaches? Would you recommend any here or is Kona time better spent on something else?

I am really looking forward to your comments about this port

Kauai:

I know the big attraction here is a Helicopter tour. I would really like to experience this but they seem to be all insanely priced.

I also know that some of the big attractions... Waimea Canyon, Hanalei Bay, and Napali Coast. I really want to hear your suggestions for this island as well.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

We are getting ready to take another cruise to Hawaii in 3 weeks on the Carnival Miracle. It is always hard to suggest things to other people as everyone has their own opinions on what they do and don't like. I used to be in the travel industry so my answers here will reflect not only my opinion, but some of what my customers feedback provided. Also, I'm not sure why types of things you normally like to do on vacations or as hobbies, so that would make a difference to know your preferences.

Oahu: Definitely see Pearl Harbor. I think it is something that every American should see when they visit Oahu. If you have any type of connection to the armed forces then you could also visit the maritime museum there which alot of people enjoy. Visit Diamond Head which is very popular. You can also rent a car and drive up to the North Shore and see the big waves and surfers, then make your way back down the coast towards Waikiki and stop at the beaches to see the large sea turtles. You could also spend an afternoon or a whole day at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I'm not sure I would recommend doing your luau on Oahu because the better ones are on Maui.

Kauai: Definitely would recommend renting a car. The airport where the car rentals are is close to the cruise terminal so it's easy to navigate the rentals. You can go either direction and see a lot of beautiful scenery but you can't drive around the complete island because you'll run into a deadend! Yes, it is expensive to take a helicopter ride but if the weather is good, it is something you will be glad you did. You will see some of the most beautiful scenery there is which is only accessible by the air.

Maui: My favorite island and seemed to be the favorite of my clients. I would do your luau here (Old Lahaina luau) as it is more authentic. Tons of stuff to do here. Again, you can rent a car and drive wherever you want. Haleakala at sunrise is fascinating but you have to get up really early to get up there before the sun rises. You feel like you are in the Heavens. It's cold up there so if you do this, make sure to dress accordingly. I'm not sure when you are planning to visit but if it is during the months of January through March, the whales are pretty prevalent at that time of year. Maui is a great place to take a whale watch excursion. You can also take a ferry or a planned excursion over to the island of Lanai which is a lot of fun. Lahaina is a great place to wander through the shops and eateries. Again, there is a ton of stuff to do here.

The Big Island: Kona is a small village area that is easy to walk around. This is a tender port so be aware of that if you schedule any excursions close to your arrival time. There are excursions here where you can swim with wild dolphin pods, or canoe/snorkel trips. Lots of shopping, bars and eateries here also. The other side of the island where Hilo is, offers a good place to also do helicopter rides. A visit to Volcanoes National Park to me is a must. It is like no other place on earth and it feels so prehistoric.

Again, I am not familiar with NCL cruises to Hawaii so I don' know how long you are in each of the ports. If you are into golf there are some incredible golf courses on these islands.

No matter what you decide, you will have a great time in Hawaii. Just make sure you don't hang around the port areas and get out and see what each island has to offer. You won't regret it.

Oahu- Rent a car and drive to the North Shore. Waikiki is nice for a while, but it is very busy and crowded. The traffic is insane! You could find an island loop that would take you past a lot of sights. We went to Lanikai Beach and Byodo-in-Temple, to name a few. Pearl Harbor is a must.

Maui- Rent a car. We went to Lahaina and drove Haleakala in the same day. It's a lot of driving, and we didn't spend much time in Lahaina. We didn't stay for sunset at Haleakala because it was cold and very windy. We were wearing our jeans, sneakers and winter coats and we still couldn't stick it out for sunset! Also consider driving at least a little of the Road to Hana or stopping at a beach for a while.

Hilo- Volcanoes National Park definitely. Start by driving to the end of the Chain of Craters Road and go backwards to make sure you have time. Punaluu Black Sand Beach is a nice stop if you have time.

Kona- There is a lot to do in town, if you like shopping and/or history. There is a big farmer's market on some days. Kona is known for their coffee, so if you like coffee I recommend a tour that includes a stop at a coffee plantation.

Kauai- Rent a car. The whole island is beautiful. It is very small, so if you have a plan you can tour the north and south shore in one day (although it is exhausting!). Whatever you choose to do on Kauai, it won't be a disappointment!

Skip Aloha Market Place as it's half empty or go there fast and come back and go to the Iloni Palace right across from the cruise ship pier and do the self guided tour.

There are also other sites to see in the area.

Because the cruise ship piers are located in the financial district you'll find it very quiet for walking and many beautiful old buildings to see. You could also walk to Chinatown and cab it back or vise versa at its quiet a jaunt.

We always drop our luggage off at the pier around 10 am then just go site seeing.

Hi: Also asked this in another forum but wonder if any of you seasoned Hawaii travellers have ever heard of or have ever been with a tour called "Three Port Best of Hawaii Explorer Package" with trips in Maui (Heavenly Hana), Hilo (Volcanoes National Park and Ranibow Falls) and Kauai (Waimea Canyon and Wailua River)? Seems like great excursions, not through the cruise lines and saves abt $75 over individual excursions, I've checked out. Before I book this would like some feed back. Thanks.:)

Realizing these are just our opinions -

Oahu. Book your time for Pearl Harbor on line. They want you there an hour early, but there is plenty to see. Iolani Palace - we liked the docent tour for information, but that was several years ago and the self-guided may be okay.

Polynesian Cultural Center - always worth an afternoon. Some other visit when you think you've seen it all, take the tour out to Shangri La - Doris Duke's home.

Hilo - rent a car to VNP. If you have a Golden Age Pass through the park service, that will get you in free. Stop at Volcano House and enjoy the view - especially if you can get one of the few chairs looking out the window.

Lahaina - if you go to Kaanapali and Whaler's Village, see the free Whaler's Museum at the top of the elevator (rest rooms are at the bottom),

Edited by Nancyquilts

• 6 months later...

Keep the suggestions coming!

Here's what the itinerary looks like right now

Oahu

Day 1:

Pearl Harbor

Chief's Luau

Day 2:

Diamond Head

Kailuea Town & Lanikai Beach

Day 3:

Waikiki

Maui

Day 1:

Lahaina and Kaanapali

Day 2:

Wailea? or Road to Hana? (I am really on the fence with... is the road really that spectacular to spend an entire day?)

Hilo

Booked a private tour that goes to Volcanoes National Park, Akaka Falls, and possibly a black sand beach and/or Macademia Nut Farm (time dependent).

Kona

Downtown (would like to find some Kona Coffee to purchase) and maybe Hapuna Beach...

keep the suggestions coming.... we are still trying to make decisions here

Kauai

Day 1: Torn between riding to the Waimea Canyon and Poipu or North Shore... Can the entire island be covered in one day?

Day 2: Kalapaki Beach

Kauai

Day 1: Torn between riding to the Waimea Canyon and Poipu or North Shore... Can the entire island be covered in one day?

Jumping on your thread b/c I'd like to know if the entire island of Kauai can be reasonably covered in one day as well. We are on POA in October, and are still debating about our time in Kauai b/c it's so short! (Guess we'll HAVE to go back!)

Jumping on your thread b/c I'd like to know if the entire island of Kauai can be reasonably covered in one day as well.

If you could see all of Kauai in a day you'd be driving your car the whole time which to me is not a reasonable thing to do. ;)

Due to the Na Nali coast there's no road that circles the island. You're options would be to drive to the north shore or to head southwest to places like Poipu Beach or Waimea Canyon (Grand Canyon of the Pacific). Mt. Waialeale is the highest spot on Kauai & is reportedly the wettest recorded spot on the planet averaging about 450" per year resulting in the Alakai Swamp.

Whichever route you decide to travel I've read cautions about allowing enough time to get back to the port because traffic returning to Lihue in the afternoon can be quite bad.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you could see all of Kauai in a day you'd be driving your car the whole time which to me is not a reasonable thing to do. ;)

Due to the Na Nali coast there's no road that circles the island. You're options would be to drive to the north shore or to head southwest to places like Poipu Beach or Waimea Canyon.

Thanks Astro...we were hoping (dreaming?) to head to Waimea first thing in the morning, and then after lunch head to the Lighthouse and then Hanalei Bay.

Is that just totally unreasonable to try to attempt? Too much driving?

And if so, which would you suggest?

Guess we're going to just have to go BACK, right? ;-)

Oahu

Day 1:

Pearl Harbor

Chief's Luau

Day 2:

Diamond Head

Day 3:

Waikiki

Maui

Day 1:

Lahaina and Kaanapali

Day 2:

Wailea? or Road to Hana? (I am really on the fence with... is the road really that spectacular to spend an entire day?)

Hilo

Booked a private tour that goes to Volcanoes National Park, Akaka Falls, and possibly a black sand beach and/or Macademia Nut Farm (time dependent).

Kona

Downtown (would like to find some Kona Coffee to purchase) and maybe Hapuna Beach...

Kauai

Don't know what private tour you booked for Hilo, but we used Mary Lou's for Hilo and for Kona, and Kona ended up being my favorite port. We visited Kona Joe's coffee plantation, then snorkeled at "Two Step" bay, near the Place of Refuge park. It was gorgeous, and afterwards we had white pineapple that Ken had bought at the farmers' market, which never tasted so good. Skipped Place of Refuge itself, although I hear some like it, bought plumeria leis from an honor box on the road, and ended at Mauka Meadows, a beautiful garden with an infinity pool, where we bought coffee grown on the estate. Ended at the farmers' market.

Some will say you can drive yourself for much cheaper, and you probably can, but for me, three minutes spent driving on vacation is four minutes too many, at any price and no matter how easy. YMMV.

happy cruising,

el henry

Thanks Astro...we were hoping (dreaming?) to head to Waimea first thing in the morning, and then after lunch head to the Lighthouse and then Hanalei Bay.

It's difficult to suggest what would be "mo bettah" for you. :p

I would not drive to Waimea & backtrack to Hanalei which would be too much driving for me. I prefer less driving & more time to fully enjoy each place that I visit.

During our most recent day in port we drove to the north end of the road at Ke'e Beach with a detour into Wailua Canyon. We briefly saw Princeville, Hanalei & Lumahi Beach (South Pacific was filmed there) but skipped the lighthouse because it was pouring buckets of rain. It rained quite a bit & why it's called the Garden Isle.

But for my 1st Kauai vacation we enjoyed sunny Poipu Beach & drove Waimea Canyon up into the cooler tree lined edge of the forest. The Spouting Horn blowhole & cruise on the Wailua River (only navigable Hawaiian river) were also interesting so for me the south end would be preferable.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Notion...I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but your post was something I've been thinking about as well. :D

You were asking the same thing as me... that's not hijacking lol Time to start planning the return trip to Kauai I suppose. lol

So after talking with my family, they are leaning towards the south route.

So my questions at this point are:

Is the Poipu Beach and Shopping center a good place to visit? What are some comments about the beach and shopping?

Comments about your experience with the Road to Hana would be much appreciated.

More to come as I continue searching.... Thank you everyone! Keep the information rolling in.

You were asking the same thing as me... that's not hijacking lol Time to start planning the return trip to Kauai I suppose. lol

So after talking with my family, they are leaning towards the south route.

So my questions at this point are:

Is the Poipu Beach and Shopping center a good place to visit? What are some comments about the beach and shopping?

Comments about your experience with the Road to Hana would be much appreciated.

More to come as I continue searching.... Thank you everyone! Keep the information rolling in.

I haven't been to Poipu in a long time & recall it was a good beach & maybe snorkeling spot.

To me the highlight of the Road to Hana is the drive. I'd suggest making stops on the outbound drive & then drive non-stop back to central Maui. I don't think Hana is the best part & would suggest continuing to O'heo Gulch (AKA "7 Sacred Pools"). Driving a short distance from the RTH to Ke'anae & the Wai'anapanapa black sand beach are great. Maps, guides & CDs are available at many stores including Walmart, Kmart & Long's Drug store.

As a guidebook says "if you're in a hurry to get to Hana, you're missing the point".

That would be a lot of driving in one day. Keep in mind it the highway running up the east side of the island can get really slow. And with your route you will be driving it several times.

I would recommend sticking with either the north or the south.

Oahu

Day 1:

Pearl Harbor

Chief's Luau

Day 2:

Diamond Head

Day 3:

Waikiki

Maui

Day 1:

Lahaina and Kaanapali

Day 2:

Hilo

Kona

Kauai

Here are a few suggestions for you. We are currently planning our August 2014 POA cruise and have been to both Maui and Kauai on land vacations.

Waikiki Pre Cruise: I would skip the Chief's Luau and do the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina. More on this later. Instead I'd go to Duke's for dinner with an ocean view on one of your nights. It's a must do in Waikiki. On another night, go to House Without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel. Open covered patio and lawn tables under 100 year old tree. Live Hawaiian music and dance every night 5:30 to 8:30. Views of ocean and Diamond Head. On Fridays, you can see the Hilton Fireworks show from there. It's another must do for Waikiki. I don't know if you are doing a tour for Pearl Harbor or renting a car or how many hours you'll be there, but if you have a rental car, the Aloha Marketplace Fleamarket at the stadium could be fun. It you also visit the Punchbowl Cemetary, you can pick up the very scenic drives, Round Top and Tauntulus near there. You can see all of Waikiki and Diamond Head.

On Day 1 Maui, I would definitely do a rental car. if you are going to Lahaina and Kaanapali, I would head out early for Kaanapali Beach. Go in through open air Whalers Village for shopping and museum. Lots of open air restaurants on the beach for lunch. Kimo's is good. In the afternoon, go back to Lahaina to walk around and then go to the Old Lahaina Luau for dinner.

Day 2 Maui: I would keep the rental overningt and drive to the summit of Haleakala. The upcountry is beautiful and the views are amazing. There is a winery with pineapple wines and champagnes on the road if you continue on a few miles to the south after leaving the summit road. Also Botanical Gardens in the area.

Kauai Day 1: Again, I would rent a car. You could drive to the North Shore to see Hanalai Bay, Princeville has views of the Napali Coast from across the bay, and Hanalei town is quaint to walk around in. But you will do a sail by of the Na Pali coastline on the afternoon of day 2 in Kauai, so I think the better option is to drive to Waimea Canyon if you have never seen it. On the way there, take a detour to Old Koloa town to visit the Kona Coffee Plantation, largest plantation in the US. You can sample, purchase or ship home. Free guided tours, paths to walk. Unique shops and restaurants in Koloa. If you have time after the canyon, you could detour south to the Poipu area.

Kauai Day 2: It is expensive for sure, but a helicopter tour will get you over areas of Kauai you will never see any other way, and would only take up a couple of hours. They will pick you up at the dock. Kalapaki beach is a great choice, and there is even a Dukes there.

Have a great trip. There is so much to see and do, you really have to plan a trip back to see what you missed the first time around.

Edited by punkincc

Maui- We only did part of the Road to Hana in Maui. It was nice, but not spectacular. It probably depends on your interests. We have been on other roads similar to this one, but did want to see what all of the fuss was about. We went to the Ke'anae Peninsula and made that our last stop. The painted eucalyptus trees and Ke'anae Peninsula were the highlights of the drive. We spent the rest of the day at Hookipa and HP Baldwin Beaches.

Kona- We did a ship tour (we were on POA) to the Place of Refuge national park, the Painted Church and a coffee plantation. We got back to Kona around noon and walked around town. It was a nice relaxing day. We really enjoyed the sights on the tour as well as exploring town. (It's a tender day, so it was nice to have the ship tour because they arranged the tender off the boat for us.)

Kauai- We did most of the island in 1 day. We headed to Wailua Falls, then went up to the north shore. We spent a good amount of time at the lighthouse and nature preserve. We went to Hanalei Bay for lunch and walked around. We drove all the way to the end of the road and stopped at another beach for a rest and a shave ice. Then we headed back towards the south shore, stopping for coffee and a view of Opaekaa Falls and the Wailua River. We ended at Poipu Beach and the blowhole (after driving through the Tree Tunnel), which we didn't end up spending much time at but were able to see. It was not a rushed day, and we were able to enjoy what we wanted to. We got an early start. We skipped Waimea Canyon because we've been to the Grand Canyon several times. We would not have been able to do both shores plus the canyon on the same day.

Waikiki Pre Cruise: I would skip the Chief's Luau and do the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina. More on this later. Instead I'd go to Duke's for dinner with an ocean view on one of your nights. It's a must do in Waikiki. On another night, go to House Without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel. Open covered patio and lawn tables under 100 year old tree. Live Hawaiian music and dance every night 5:30 to 8:30. Views of ocean and Diamond Head. On Fridays, you can see the Hilton Fireworks show from there. It's another must do for Waikiki. I don't know if you are doing a tour for Pearl Harbor or renting a car or how many hours you'll be there, but if you have a rental car, the Aloha Marketplace Fleamarket at the stadium could be fun. It you also visit the Punchbowl Cemetary, you can pick up the very scenic drives, Round Top and Tauntulus near there. You can see all of Waikiki and Diamond Head.

Do you know if you can see the Hilton fireworks from Duke's? We were thinking of going there Friday evening for dinner.

It's difficult to suggest what would be "mo bettah" for you. :p

I would not drive to Waimea & backtrack to Hanalei which would be too much driving for me. I prefer less driving & more time to fully enjoy each place that I visit.

During our most recent day in port we drove to the north end of the road at Ke'e Beach with a detour into Wailua Canyon. We briefly saw Princeville, Hanalei & Lumahi Beach (South Pacific was filmed there) but skipped the lighthouse because it was pouring buckets of rain. It rained quite a bit & why it's called the Garden Isle.

But for my 1st Kauai vacation we enjoyed sunny Poipu Beach & drove Waimea Canyon up into the cooler tree lined edge of the forest. The Spouting Horn blowhole & cruise on the Wailua River (only navigable Hawaiian river) were also interesting so for me the south end would be preferable.

Thanks for the insight. Now we are considering keeping our rental car for the final half day in Kauai and heading out super early to see the North part of the island. I also think we're going to be pretty tired after our week of ports, so it may be on the better part of wisdom to stay near the port on that last day. Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:

That would be a lot of driving in one day. Keep in mind it the highway running up the east side of the island can get really slow. And with your route you will be driving it several times.

I would recommend sticking with either the north or the south.

Thanks PC, for your thoughts! It's hard to know what to do with our short and precious time there. :)