Anyone been to Tabayana Beach?

jdotexas

Booked on a cruise for July of this year. Has anyone been to Tabayana Beach in Honduras?

Visited Tabyana perhaps 8 times from cruises, liked it so much I just spent a week at Infinity Bay, the hotel adjacent to Tabyana.

Did you have questions? This beach is head and shoulders above the man made stop at Mahogany Bay. As noted, you can snorkel straight from the beach at Tabyana. I saw a turtle and an octopus there in Feb.

Tabyana Beach is the cruise ship portion of West Bay Beach. I have attempted on more than one occasion to find out if one could walk up to the Tabyana entry from the road and pay the day fee but have never been able to get firm results.

I truly believe if very good easy access reef snorkeling steps from your lounger is the goal then Tabyana is the answer.

The next closest is Infinity Bay Resort, they offer day passes but they are limited and expensive from what I understand. You could email them if you are interested.

The next place up the beach I know offers day passes (they offer transport as well) is Bananarama. One would need to walk down the beach to get to the good snorkeling.

While the beaches themselves are free, bathrooms/showers and loungers are payable. Public access to West Bay can be found on the road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club or you can water taxi from West End. Back in the day there was plenty of free sand down by the "wall" but these days that belongs to and is used by Grand Roatan. I am no longer sure if one can just plop down with a towel. I s'pose if ya wanna take a chance you could so that and always pay a lounger fee later if you choose to.

Keep in mind taxi prices are not regulated and run per person.

I was just there for 9 days. We literally walked down by the grand roatan everyday to snorkel. We tossed our stuff right on the sand. As long as you aren't in the flagged off area close to their bar you will be fine.

That is great news... I knew walking down to snorkel was not a worry... I just was not sure about stuff and bodies. Out of the flagged off area... cool. thank so much!

It's about 30 minutes. As taxi rates are so high that is why many of us get a tour driver like Victor Bodden or Rony . Then you can go elsewhere if you need or would like to see more of the island. Bodden is $25 PP for 4 and $40 PP for 2. You book online and pay nothing up front.

So, to get to Tabyana Beach is a short taxi ride from the cruise pier?

SANY2345.jpg

pic host

It's about 30 minutes. As taxi rates are so high that is why many of us get a tour driver like Victor Bodden or Rony . Then you can go elsewhere if you need or would like to see more of the island. Bodden is $25 PP for 4 and $40 PP for 2. You book online and pay nothing up front.

SANY2345.jpg

pic host

There's a fishing boat in your picture next to the pier near the shore, I believe it is called the AMoray Eel. Captain Marvin is in charge. I chartered that boat for a 1/2 day and caught some small black fin tuna just off shore from the wall. The chef at Infinity Bay cooked up some fillets for our dinner that night and made us some sashimi for the next day's lunch.

Edited by evandbob

So, to get to Tabyana Beach is a short taxi ride from the cruise pier?

Actually to book Tabyana, I think ya have to go through the ship.

If West Bay is what you seek:

I believe a taxi is 30 mins from Coxen Hole as said above.

If you dock at Mahogany Bay it will be closer to 45 mins.

Edited by Guest 2000

Taxi prices are not regulated... there is no set price. Much of the fees are per person. I have seen as low as $15 per person from Coxen Hole and as low as $20 per person from Mahogany Bay.

It may be possible to catch a random taxi out on the main road for less. Haggle/Spanish skills are a plus. Make sure you discuss round trip or not, private or collectivo. If you take a taxi one way be assured going back the second taxi will take you to the cleaners, they will know you have to be back and take advantage.

Truly from Mahogany Bay the private tour price is so close there is no reason to do it a different way.

If you are docking in Coxen Hole and are trying to save cash, walk into town to catch the mini bus to West End, then hop a water taxi to West Bay. It will cost all of $5 per person.

I like Roatan, love West Bay and Infinity Bay, but I would be very hesitant to advise anyone to walk into Coxen's Hole to catch a local bus. Tourists here are very easy marks for ripoffs and thieves. Saving a few dollars has to be balanced with one's own safety.

I like Roatan, love West Bay and Infinity Bay, but I would be very hesitant to advise anyone to walk into Coxen's Hole to catch a local bus. Tourists here are very easy marks for ripoffs and thieves. Saving a few dollars has to be balanced with one's own safety.

I have been wandering Coxen Hole in daylight hours as a solo female for years.

but

I understand your concern.

Visited Tabyana perhaps 8 times from cruises, liked it so much I just spent a week at Infinity Bay, the hotel adjacent to Tabyana.

Did you have questions? This beach is head and shoulders above the man made stop at Mahogany Bay. As noted, you can snorkel straight from the beach at Tabyana. I saw a turtle and an octopus there in Feb.

Great post - thank you! I'm guessing there is a reef that makes the snorkeling from Tabyana worthwhile? How far out did you have to swim to see the turtle and octopus? Thanks in advance for any Tabyana snorkeling tips!

:)

Great post - thank you! I'm guessing there is a reef that makes the snorkeling from Tabyana worthwhile? How far out did you have to swim to see the turtle and octopus? Thanks in advance for any Tabyana snorkeling tips!

:)

everything you ever wanted to know about snorkeling West Bay in one easy to get to thread.

Cheers

On tripadvisor it shows tabyana is also known as west bay beach. It has some great reviews. Does anyone know if it is free entry? I would rather take a taxi then pay carnival 40 bucks a person.

When I went, I found that the taxi fare was going to be as much or more than Carnival's excursion fee. When you take a taxi there, you get it for the entire day.