The Winter Crossing Club (WCC)

CunarderRon

Although I posted the question in the roll call section in regards to whether any winter crossers will be going on this December's QM2 crossing, I'm a little perplexed as to whether there's still an annual get-together of winter crossers. I've searched throughout this forum and haven't found anything recent. Has the banner gone to the QE alone after QE2's retirement (on those Jan crossings)? Is QM2's December WB crossing also a reunion point for the WCC? Excuse my lack of knowledge on what may be old news but it's been a while for me.

- Ron

A member of the WCC of the "Old QE2 Order" ;)

Well …. perhaps mark it up to attrition. The WCC does live on in many hearts of us of the last years of the QE2. but there's a but. Life happens, time passes, people, too. A cafe is opened in Scotland, a job takes one to Shanghai, three other ships run, people have other interests, buy houses, move to new jobs, have little time. With the Mary, Victoria and Elizabeth coming on line and being sampled, the basic founding group thinned out, some died, several lost interest, "the regulars" who more-or-less kept things together and invited all to join in became less concentrated on any given voyage. Of course, being on QE2 was the main thing, and on the QE2 in winter most important. I recall one mid-December crossing, else it was a January first-segment westbound of a World Cruise, Ted Scull was giving a lecture, the ship took a huge dip, everyone gulped and Ted didn't miss a beat, saying "Well, it's what we came on for." Back in her last days, a QE2/WCC demise was talked about on these boards, some then going on Mary, a few on Victoria, some on Elizabeth, a few few. Like maybe three or four. If. Somehow it just wasn't the same, hasn't been since. With the ships so similar, even the Cabin Crawls faded. WCC pin--wearers still sail on all the ships, but seem to make little of it. My last time on Mary, a bit over six months ago 15 December I wore the WCC pin, saw no others. The pin created little interest. Still, when worn by those who care, and seen on others, there is that moment! I hope you'll have one on any future crossing, certainly 15 December on Mary. There'll be a few of us on then. I think 10 January Elizabeth sets off on her World, and 20 January Victoria comes westbound. Probably you will see a WCC pin or two there as well. I don't remember how many pins Jon made, but there are pins out there in drawers and bags, just waiting to board!

Things fade. Cunard ships have a history of "groups" … nothing really serious, all in fun … card-carrying members of a "The No Character Club." There was the time of a pigeon named Walter. "The Heli-Deck Girls" had tee shirts. Had male affiliates, too. There was a Gowanus Canal Yacht Club, a QE2 Scuba-Diving Team. Who knows, the next "winter crossing" of whatever Queen going, you might see on a Roll Call a WCC "anyone going" query. Be there, wave the flag! The WCC isn't just a memory!

Alas, after more than 7 years of being "out of the loop", things are as I suspected. In any case, your reply is very well written and appreciated. I can gather who those are who have gone their separate ways. I still think of them and the others, the good times and the girl that would bring us together each year, in So'ton. :rolleyes:

I do plan to take my family aboard the Mary come December. It'll be the first time I've crossed since January 2006. (and incidentally my last winter crossing). Are there any WCC pins still available? It seems that through all the fun I had aboard, I never received one. In any case, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a familiar face and pin. :)

I consider myself a member of the Winter Crossing Club thanks to returning to NYC on QM2 on December 22, 2012. I don't have a WCC pin, didn't know there was one, most likely because I never sailed on QE2. Anyway, I'll bet the storm we experienced on December 19 was comparable to any you recall from QE2 days. Here is a brief video of Captain Oprey's morning report about the storm. My wife and I enjoyed it and regret only that we slept though the worst of it.

Interestingly if you run a facebook check there is a group named

Cunard Winter Crossing Club WCC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cunard-Winter-Crossing-Club-WCC/282412245983

Thanks, Pennbank. :)

I looked at the site and I apparently must have stumbled onto it sometime last year because it already showed that I "Liked" it. It looks dead, though. I just tried contacting the page's founder to see if he'll let me keep it current.

Of course, it's all fun. If someone who enjoys the December and January crossings wants to claim "membership" in the Winter Crossing Club - great ! It's all about fun, pleasure, joy.

There actually WAS a group of people who "formed" a group, informally. This was back on the QE2, circa 2006-08. We all kept running into each other, connected here on the Boards, became friends. Someone - I believe the gent from Scotland - took the lead in this; he went to the trouble to have those cool WCC pins made, as well as some fabulous QE2 cufflinks - treasures of mine to this day !

Our friend from Scotland; a couple of guys from LA; folks from SF, Pennsylvania, Maine, Kentucky, Ohio, NJ, NY, Minnesota, etc. - a sensational group.

We'd usually meet in QE2's Chart Room on Sailing Day after dinner, around 10PM. I remember on the occasion of the January 2006 meeting we all overran The Chart Room, there were so many of us !

There was always a Cabin Cavalcade, as we called it. Never quite to be replicated now as ships will likely never again have such an enormous multitude of unique cabins ala QE2.

May the spirit of the QE2 WCC live on forever !!!

I remember on the occasion of the January 2006 meeting we all overran The Chart Room, there were so many of us !

Which was followed by a few brave souls...one in particular...insisting that we leave the Chart Room and head up to the funnel. ;) I had made it aboard for her December crossing for a few memorable years in a row prior to that. Unfortunately, because of other commitments, that was to be my last winter crossing.. in fact, my last time aboard our beloved QE2. Good times ;)

Edited by CunarderRon

Of course, it's all fun. If someone who enjoys the December and January crossings wants to claim "membership" in the Winter Crossing Club - great ! It's all about fun, pleasure, joy.

There actually WAS a group of people who "formed" a group, informally. This was back on the QE2, circa 2006-08. We all kept running into each other, connected here on the Boards, became friends. Someone - I believe the gent from Scotland - took the lead in this; he went to the trouble to have those cool WCC pins made, as well as some fabulous QE2 cufflinks - treasures of mine to this day !

Our friend from Scotland; a couple of guys from LA; folks from SF, Pennsylvania, Maine, Kentucky, Ohio, NJ, NY, Minnesota, etc. - a sensational group.

We'd usually meet in QE2's Chart Room on Sailing Day after dinner, around 10PM. I remember on the occasion of the January 2006 meeting we all overran The Chart Room, there were so many of us !

There was always a Cabin Cavalcade, as we called it. Never quite to be replicated now as ships will likely never again have such an enormous multitude of unique cabins ala QE2.

Tom ~ Thanks for sharing your memories of the wonderful 2006 winter crossing on QE2. A grand & memorable crossing indeed!

There were several well-known veterans of the 2006 QE2 Winter Crossing Club on board the Queen Elizabeth's January 2014 winter crossing So'ton to New York City.:)

For those nostalgic for the WCC's Cavalcade of Cabins and the sight of old shipmates on QE2, here's a video shot during the 2008 winter crossing:

Apparently a similar cavalcade, albeit with a much smaller contingent of WCC members, was conducted during the Queen Elizabeth's January 2011 winter crossing:

As for storms and rough seas on a winter crossing--well, that's a great part of the appeal for hardened WCC members!:)

Cheers!

For those nostalgic for the WCC's Cavalcade of Cabins and the sight of old shipmates on QE2, here's a video shot during the 2008 winter crossing:

Thanks for posting that link. It was good to catch a few glimpses of Matthew (Kindlychap). I met him only once, 16 October 2008 at the Sequoia in NYC, QE2's last departure from New York. We argued frequently online and I miss him.

Tom ~ Thanks for sharing your memories of the wonderful 2006 winter crossing on QE2. A grand & memorable crossing indeed!

There were several well-known veterans of the 2006 QE2 Winter Crossing Club on board the Queen Elizabeth's January 2014 winter crossing So'ton to New York City.:)

Apparently a similar cavalcade, albeit with a much smaller contingent of WCC members, was conducted during the Queen Elizabeth's January 2011 winter crossing:

As for storms and rough seas on a winter crossing--well, that's a great part of the appeal for hardened WCC members!:)

Cheers!

Yes, Post Captain, the January 2006 QE2 WB TA crossing was wonderful - Captain Rynd taking us a fair bit south - within sight of the Azores - in an effort to avoid rough weather !

As a veteran of at least half a dozen winter crossings, mainly on the QE2, it's easy to romanticize the past. Winter seas can be rough, we have had the dresser drawers fly out on us. In the dinning rooms, no places were set until people sat down and could hang on to their plates and silverware.

In the Queens Room, dancing was impossible while the ship lurched up and down. Yet there were crossings where the North Atlantic was smooth as a lake, it's just impossible to plan a crossing for good weather.

The cabin crawl was more interesting on the QEII, It almost seems that no two cabins were identical, we once had one with bunk beds, two singles and a couch that converted to double. In the newer ships, they were all made with the same cookie cutter.

I felt sorry for those who paid extra to get a balcony - they are way to cold to use in December and January. But there was a sheltered area at the stern of the QEII where hearty souls could sit outside. It was staffed by an attendant who issued heavy "horse blankets" and actually tucked these brave folk in.

I was told that Kindlychap passed away from his ailment some time ago.

Yes, he did. A site that is no longer available reported:

Sep 30, 2011 - I wanted to let you all know that sadly Matthew aka KindlyChap passed away yesterday.

I recall that he did post in his last year that he had enjoyed many very good days thanks to an obscenely expensive drug which had just become available. I hope it wasn't its side effects than did him in.

As a veteran of at least half a dozen winter crossings, mainly on the QE2, it's easy to romanticize the past. Winter seas can be rough, we have had the dresser drawers fly out on us. In the dinning rooms, no places were set until people sat down and could hang on to their plates and silverware.

In the Queens Room, dancing was impossible while the ship lurched up and down. Yet there were crossings where the North Atlantic was smooth as a lake, it's just impossible to plan a crossing for good weather.

The cabin crawl was more interesting on the QEII, It almost seems that no two cabins were identical, we once had one with bunk beds, two singles and a couch that converted to double. In the newer ships, they were all made with the same cookie cutter.

I felt sorry for those who paid extra to get a balcony - they are way to cold to use in December and January. But there was a sheltered area at the stern of the QEII where hearty souls could sit outside. It was staffed by an attendant who issued heavy "horse blankets" and actually tucked these brave folk in.

I remember the flying dresser drawers, along with an unhinged door or 2 on QE2. On QM2, the most severe storms made it impossible to sleep, at least for me, because of the violent jerking motion.

Ballroom dancing was/is certainly difficult with the lurching, but for some reason it makes G32 great fun, since dancing there is very free-form anyway.

I did like the quirky cabins on QE2 also. QE2 had more of a real ship atmosphere. QM2 is more comfortable though.

I'm sorry to hear about Kindlychap.

Edited by Leucothea

Yes, he did. A site that is no longer available reported:

Sep 30, 2011 - I wanted to let you all know that sadly Matthew aka KindlyChap passed away yesterday.

I recall that he did post in his last year that he had enjoyed many very good days thanks to an obscenely expensive drug which had just become available. I hope it wasn't its side effects than did him in.

I also had the honour to meet and speak with Matthew, one evening in the Commodore Club on QM2 in 2008. We chatted for quite a while.

I had seen him on deck during sailaway the previous day, but he seemed lost in his own thoughts so I didn't introduce myself at that point, but waited until I saw him in the Commodore Club.

His intelligent, witty yet cutting humour is sadly missed here, alongside his memories of QE2's Signal Deck, and his refreshingly frank honesty. I often wonder how he would have commented on some of the recent threads, or questioned the opinions of some of the newer posters.

RIP Matthew.

Good times! Fun reading here, especially the rough-sea comments. How to explain it? The QE2, certainly the QM2, took to winter waters with ease and grace. Even the Queen cruisers V. & E. can be "interesting" in rough waters, if that's what you've come on for. In future, in winter waters, it's nice to see the WCC live on!

Nice work, Tom, Founding Member, WCC, recording how it all began and grew. Good times, yes! In back-files I've saved messages from Kyle when Jon was doing a pin, the back-forth looking forward to when we'd all see them. In bookmarks I've saved several pages of Jon's original WCC pages put up long ago.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pic77/wcc/index.htm

Then, like Topsy, it grew. As you say, of course, it's all fun. Anyone who enjoys Cunard December and January crossings should proclaim membership in the Winter Crossing Club! Chapters on all three Queens! It's all about fun, pleasure, joy. Here's my favorite photo of The Founders on the night of the pins. As you say, May the spirit of the QE2 WCC live on forever !!!

Howitbegan_zps644ae539.jpg

Good times! Fun reading here, especially the rough-sea comments. How to explain it? The QE2, certainly the QM2, took to winter waters with ease and grace. Even the Queen cruisers V. & E. can be "interesting" in rough waters, if that's what you've come on for. In future, in winter waters, it's nice to see the WCC live on!

Nice work, Tom, Founding Member, WCC, recording how it all began and grew. Good times, yes! In back-files I've saved messages from Kyle when Jon was doing a pin, the back-forth looking forward to when we'd all see them. In bookmarks I've saved several pages of Jon's original WCC pages put up long ago.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pic77/wcc/index.htm

Then, like Topsy, it grew. As you say, of course, it's all fun. Anyone who enjoys Cunard December and January crossings should proclaim membership in the Winter Crossing Club! Chapters on all three Queens! It's all about fun, pleasure, joy. Here's my favorite photo of The Founders on the night of the pins. As you say, May the spirit of the QE2 WCC live on forever !!!

Mr. Ab Ovo:

Rock on....your sentiments are spot on. Fun, fun, fun...it's all fun !

Tom

... Anyone who enjoys Cunard December and January crossings should proclaim membership in the Winter Crossing Club! Chapters on all three Queens! It's all about fun, pleasure, joy. Here's my favorite photo of The Founders on the night of the pins. As you say, May the spirit of the QE2 WCC live on forever !!!

Well said, Ab Ovo! And hooray, Founders! I'll be on the lookout for anyone wearing a WCC pin every time I'm on QM2 from now on, so please wear them year round.

Fun to read these posts. I'm a veteran of a few Winter Crossings, official and unofficial ones. That January 2006 on the QE2 remains one of my favorites. A few of us on here had a rough and rocky one on QM2 in December 2011 that won't be forgotten. I did a summer crossing last year in July and the lack of movement was sorely missed (at least by me!). Hope to partake in December 2015......

I am doing my first Winter Crossing, departing NY on the 3rd of January… I am a tad nervous, but will have tablets at the ready… :D

I really hope I enjoy it… I crossed in October 2012 and we had some storms off the southern coast of Ireland on the first day, which were quite dramatic, and I did take a tablet that day, just to ward off any possible reaction, but was fine for the normal crossing…

*eek* What have I done? :D