On-board Gratuities?

KarlS

We depart on Wind Surf next week.

While going over my pre-cruise checklist, I realized I haven't found the current Windstar on-board gratuities description in any of our brief e-docs, cruise passage doc, or anywhere on the web site. (If it's there and I missed it, I'm sorry). :cool:

It's been ten years since we've sailed Windstar. Back then, envelopes were still given out at the end of the cruise, and we paid in cash. Some of the other lines we've sailed on recently just post the "standard" daily gratuity amount to your on-board bill to be adjusted or not on the last day of the cruise when you settle your bill.

How does it work these days on Windstar? I'm wondering whether I need to bring cash or not. Thanks.

...Karl

I found what you were looking for in the My Windstar section of the website under FAQ. Here it is:

HOTEL SERVICE CHARGE

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as wait staff, beverage servers and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel Service Charge of $12 per passenger is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account on a daily basis. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise. In addition, a 15% Beverage Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine purchases. These charges are paid entirely to Windstar crew members, and represent an important part of their compensation.

In terminals, airports, ports of call, and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

We sometimes tip a little extra (in cash) to those who go above and beyond to make our cruise special.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, Suzanne (and Tom). I thought awhile ago I'd read about this topic on the Windstarcruises.com web site, but I couldn't find it again when I posted my question. Cheers! :D

...Karl

• 2 months later...

We appreciate the auto gratuities as it makes sure everyone gets tipped. We also gave extra to half a dozen or so people who really made our trip special, anything from an extra $10 to an extra $100+ each. We weren't able to see one person before we left but left a note and some cash in an envelope with guest services for him. One of the board members checked with him for me when she saw him a week or two later, and he had indeed received it.

At the risk of sounding cynical - can we be sure that the money actually reaches the staff? Has anyone ever checked?

I can't imagine that word wouldn't quickly get out and crew wouldn't be returning for additional contracts if this were happening.

• 3 months later...

We just got off the Wind Surf and the staff is truly terrific. As you know the servers in the Veranda and dining rooms work very hard to make sure your are enjoying your experience. So….though there is a daily tip charge on your credit card and every drink includes a 15% tip, we (two couples) did, in fact, give cash to three servers, one receptionist, the coffee guy in the Yacht Club, our room steward (who was wonderful and barely seen), roulette person and a sports platform sailing instructor. This added about $75 a person to the $84 already charged. This amounted to just about 8.5% of the original trip cost. This is our third Wind Surf but the couple with whom we traveled were there for the first time and admitted that would not have known to "extra" tip if not traveling with us. They also made the point that service was universally wonderful and our choice as to whom to tip was based on the personality of the staff member.

Everyone seemed very pleased with the gratuity. I would appreciate feedback on this…was it appropriate to do? where the amounts, $20 per cabin appropriate?, did others so the same thing?

Hi, we just got off the Wind Surf 1/10/15, great trip. Service impecable, we always tip extra the room Stewart, bar person or two, waiters 3-4 depending on who helped us. We know so many of the staff we are so happy to see them again and they make our vacation very special. Have. Great sail. Susanne

I'm so glad to hear that staff are receiving the actual tips that people leave for them. I was planning on bringing some $10 or $20 international phone calling cards to use as tips but I can't seem to locate them in the stores here for some strange reason. So, I've decided to bring several thank you note cards with envelopes and a few extra $10 & $20 to give to the individual staff that really stand out.

Since I have been on the Wind Surf many times I have found that tipping some of the key staff at the beginning of the cruise insures even better service throughout the cruise. The staff I find to be key are the dinning room mater deis, your room steward, and a couple of the bartenders. Anywhere from $30-$50 at the start makes life easier throughout the cruise.

We booked the Legend from EDI to DUB on July 4th sailing. Windstar required the full payment, with gratuities, to be paid at the time of booking. My question would be that if Windstar requires you to pay something in order to book, then why not just charge more and have the gratuities paid? Seabourn and Silversea include the gratuities in the fare. Supposedly this was required because we got a "deal" on the fare. Last time I was required to pay total cost of a cruise upon booking and well in advance, the cruise line went bankrupt and the money was gone. That scenario really would make you wonder if the staff got the gratuities!

Wildcat68

I have been selling Windstar quite often in the last few months. The cruise line does not require full payment until 90 days prior. I have never asked not heard of requiring a client to pay gratuities in advance. Just letting you know that this is not Windstar policy. It must have to do with the agency you booked with but even groups do not require you to prepay that far in advance. Do you live in the US?

Wildcat68

I have been selling Windstar quite often in the last few months. The cruise line does not require full payment until 90 days prior. I have never asked not heard of requiring a client to pay gratuities in advance. Just letting you know that this is not Windstar policy. It must have to do with the agency you booked with but even groups do not require you to prepay that far in advance. Do you live in the US?

We have been on Windstar twice this past year, and will be sailing next week for b to b caribbean cruises o the Surf. Never required to pay gratuities in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We booked the Legend from EDI to DUB on July 4th sailing. Windstar required the full payment, with gratuities, to be paid at the time of booking. My question would be that if Windstar requires you to pay something in order to book, then why not just charge more and have the gratuities paid? Seabourn and Silversea include the gratuities in the fare. Supposedly this was required because we got a "deal" on the fare. Last time I was required to pay total cost of a cruise upon booking and well in advance, the cruise line went bankrupt and the money was gone. That scenario really would make you wonder if the staff got the gratuities!

Did you book directly through Windstar or through another agency?? Windstar's policy has been full payment 90 days before cruise. I, also, have never been required to prepay gratuities, they have always been added to my account on board. The only time I was required to make full payment at time of booking was when I booked a cruise only two months out - and I was not required to pay gratuities in advance.

Please clarify what happened as this full payment with gratuities so far in advance seems strange.

P.S. You'll be getting on as we are getting off!

Did you book directly through Windstar or through another agency?? Windstar's policy has been full payment 90 days before cruise. I, also, have never been required to prepay gratuities, they have always been added to my account on board. The only time I was required to make full payment at time of booking was when I booked a cruise only two months out - and I was not required to pay gratuities in advance.

Please clarify what happened as this full payment with gratuities so far in advance seems strange.

P.S. You'll be getting on as we are getting off!

I booked it through the same agency that I have booked numerous cruises including Windstar. The reason I booked it through them is that they handle the Military Discounts as well as other discounts. Usually when you are booking with a fairly decent discount the cruise line will not offer these directly. I did not try Windstar's site directly. I have never had to pay gratuities up front and it was explained that due to the discount, Windstar required it in advance. I thought this unusual enough that I did not book upon first knowledge but called back several days later to a different representative and he said the same thing.

Many of you (us) use this agency and I have used then enough that I trust them, but I don't believe I'm allowed to give the name on CC.

I thought about the DUB-EDI like you are doing but the availability of cabin choice was more limited. Yes, I'm booking from the US and the confirmation showed the pre-paid gratuities listed separate from the other charges.