Junk food

snow2day

I can't remember if there is anywhere on the ship that I can get some junk food if the need arises. Lets say, potato chips, cheez-its, m&m's. Do they sell this stuff in the store on the ship or can I buy it off the ship and bring it back onboard?

We've been working from a different angle--we have several diabetics in our group and we've been looking for shelf-stable high-protein/low carb snacks to port along when the blood sugar gets low. I've been looking at SlimJims, beef-and-cheese stick, SPAM pouches, tuna pouches, nacho cheese pouches, nut pouches, peanut butter "singles", nut butter single-serve pouches, various pouch-packed Indian foods from Swad, Jyoti, and MTR, and other things that will provide decent nutrition, satisfy hunger, and not blow the glycemic index through the roof. Cookies, pretzels, and chips just do not make the cut here. Pre-popped popcorn, however, is quite a good snack, believe it or not--lots of fiber and not that bad in the carb department. I've been looking at small tub-packs of olives, too, as a side-snack; good for providing salt to an electrolyte-depleted tourist.

I will appreciate any ideas that fulfill the above criteria.

We now return you to your regular caloric program....

Check your cruise line regulations because some ships/itineraries don't allow you to bring food, even packaged food onboard. That said, I travel a lot and some of the shelf-stable travel foods that I use regularly that might fit your needs are: FishPeople fish soups/entrees, Tanka buffalo sticks/bites, Krave jerky, Trader joe's salmon/bufallo/turkey jerky, cheeses from World Market/Costplus, Moon Cheese, seaweed (so many brands nowadays, so many flavors), meals-in-a-can by St. Dalour. There are now squeeze packets of greek yogurt in the aisle with the squeeze packets of applesauces. Lots of different types of olives, kale chips, coconut chips. I sometimes do searches on amazon for "travel food" and "airplane food" and she what pops up.

• 2 weeks later...
We've been working from a different angle--we have several diabetics in our group and we've been looking for shelf-stable high-protein/low carb snacks to port along when the blood sugar gets low. ..

I have never heard of a diabetic eating protein when their sugars are low, if my T1 hubby ate spam/olives etc when he was low he would be having a full hypo fit within the hour.I take small cartons of juice/biscuits/toddler sized sweetie bags etc to carry around for when hes low then if complex carbs are available he may ave a small portion to stablise his sugars.

I don't like to snack a lot but we will be stateside before our cruise so may buy things to take on the ship as they are novelty to me. I adore Hershey chocolate but over heres its like £2.50 ($3.75) for a tiny bar of it.

Check your cruise line regulations because some ships/itineraries don't allow you to bring food, even packaged food onboard. That said, I travel a lot and some of the shelf-stable travel foods that I use regularly that might fit your needs are: FishPeople fish soups/entrees, Tanka buffalo sticks/bites, Krave jerky, Trader joe's salmon/bufallo/turkey jerky, cheeses from World Market/Costplus, Moon Cheese, seaweed (so many brands nowadays, so many flavors), meals-in-a-can by St. Dalour. There are now squeeze packets of greek yogurt in the aisle with the squeeze packets of applesauces. Lots of different types of olives, kale chips, coconut chips. I sometimes do searches on amazon for "travel food" and "airplane food" and she what pops up.

Bring what you can with you, but beware of some these food items you mention are loaded with sodium. It is not good for anyone, including diabetics of type one or two, to consume excessive sodium. So please beware of the harmful effects of excessive sodium. On board the ship, there should be plenty/adequate supply of healthy food options, even between the regular eating hours. Worse comes to worse and you cant find anything, then there is always room service. But there should be plenty of healthy and tasty options available from various food venues on the ship, to not need this kind of between meal snack. I dont mean to preach, as I am also type 2 diabetic, and do enjoy salty snacks, but I find they are "morish", as in the more I eat the more I want, and it does not add up to healthy eating. Ok, off my soapbox now, sorry.:o

my concerns were for off-ship times when no suitable diabetic (and diabetic vegetarian) options were available: on an excursion to a pristine island, for example; trail mix and granola are way too carb-laden for us. The high-protein nut-packs/cheese sticks path is looking good. And beef sticks for us meat-eaters. little waste to pack out and very satisfying. And some of us get very unpleasant when the blood-sugar drops suddenly.:mad:

my concerns were for off-ship times when no suitable diabetic (and diabetic vegetarian) options were available: on an excursion to a pristine island, for example; trail mix and granola are way too carb-laden for us. The high-protein nut-packs/cheese sticks path is looking good. And beef sticks for us meat-eaters. little waste to pack out and very satisfying. And some of us get very unpleasant when the blood-sugar drops suddenly.:mad:

Oh I see,when you mentioned low I thought you meant the eye dilation, slightly sweaty and delayed response low. My hubby gets angry when hes super low and I have to pretend I am going to eat his chocolate in order to get him to eat it...wierd but it works.

Cheese flavour cracker type biscuits are less carby than choc ones etc and we find they work quite well for him.

Instead of trail mix, why not raw nuts? Some have some dried fruit in them, which technically does make them a trail mix. There are some at Fresh N Easy that I love and come in little individual packs.