Help Choosing Cabin on Mariner

lucky-ed

My wife and I are about to book our 1st Regent cruise on the Mariner to South America in Feb 2013 and we are confused by the choice of cabins. We had tentatively planned on a Category G and were informed that the exact cabin number may not be available until boarding. Yet Category F, at +$500 per person, would provide a specific cabin number immediately. Has this been encountered by anyone else? Also, if we are considering an upgrade is there any value in going to one of the cabin types which come with "Concierge" service?

We'd appreciate any help you can offer.

There are two cruises in January, 2013 to South America and both of them show H categories as "wait list" and G categories as "guaranty". I have been on the Mariner three times and have stayed in a G and H category. They are virtually the same. There is not a bad cabin on the Mariner. I see no problem with taking the G guaranty and you even might wait list for the H. I would certainly not spend $1,000 extra for the F cagetory. You will get your cabin assignment prior to sailing and there is a possiblity you might get upgraded. There is no certainty of that of course, but you will for sure be in "at least" a G category. You just won't know the assigned cabin number until prior to sailing. We have done that too. I would personally not spend the extra money for the Concierge category, but that's just my opinion.

We booked a "Guaranty" for December last year thinking it would not bother us at all to have our room assignment unsettled until we boarded. Turned out it bothered us both much more than we anticipated. We didn't realize when we first booked that "Guaranty" meant Regent could put us anywhere on the boat, even possibly upgraded, etc. We thought a "G Guaranty" meant we would end up somewhere on deck 7. As time went on and we read more, we came to realize it meant we could end up anywhere Regent wanted to put us, including under the Pool Deck. We are late to bed, late to rise and that would not have suited us at all. (At that time Concierge did not include the benefits it does now.) Anyway, we spent way too much time worrying about it and would not book "Guaranty" again but that's just us.

Another issue for us as previously posted, there was an awful sewage smell in and around our cabin (but mainly the hallway) due to a problem the Mariner was having at that time. It was mainly in the back area of the ship and extended up at least several floors from time to time but was worse on decks 7 and 8. Even though there have been no reported problems since that time, I would not personally want to be in that area again, just in case. We will definitely opt to choose our suite next time.

We love Regent and were satisfied with their (albeit late) adjustment to our problem with the smell on our last cruise and are looking forward to booking our third trip with them soon. Should you decide to book with Regent, please email us and I'd be glad to refer you under their referral program. It gives the 1st time Regent cruiser an On Board Credit of $200 and us a future cruise credit of $200. We are at cele4711 at gmail dot com.

ginny123... Sorry you had an issue on Mariner, that is always unfortunate when those rare events happen. That being said, I was just on Mariner last week for the 4/2 sailing Barcelona to Istanbul. We had cabin 781 which is as far back on deck 7 as you can get....what ever the sewer problem was on your sailing was resolved and other than a moment or two of stinky harbors we never experienced any issues. We have sailed 33 days on Regent, mostly on Mariner and while many other CC posters have far more days on Regent than we do...I feel very safe in saying there is not a bad cabin on this ship.

The deck chairs on the pool deck aside, as mostly they are straightened up in the late afternoon and not really much of an issue in the morning...

A guaranty on this ship is all good...on this last sailing we found ourselves directly above the Horizon Club which has late nite dancing and music...not to mention smoking on the outside deck directly under our deck...we had a concern and as it turned out we never heard the music or had a whif of smoke in our cabin or deck.

While once in a while not everything on any ship is perfect and isuues can always come up (on a ship or in a hotel) you should be safe no matter where Regent puts you. Remember every cabin is beautiful and up to the Penthouse level all cabins are identical. Don't pay for Concierge level it is NOT worth the extra, as long as you make your tour and dining reservations as soon as they are available to you, there should be no issues with you not getting what you want. All that aside we happen to like Cat. F as close to mid ship as we can get (cabin 821) cuz it is near the free laundry and just before the Atrium and has little traffic.

Welcome to Regent, you will love it! You can see everyone has a different opinion on this board and yes sometimes things aren't always perfect, but we can't wait for our next Regent cruise

There is one issue that has not been addressed. The suites on Mariner have either a walkin shower or a tub combo. If you want a walkin shower you need to book a specific suite. With a guaranty you could end up with either but would have no way of knowing in advance.

Carol, Ginny, Nan, and Three

Thank you for jumping in and helping out from your experience. It sounds like there is a consensus that the concierge upgrades are not a great value and that cabin experiences, though generally positive, are subject to mixed results.

We're still a little up in the air about the value of a $1,000 per cabin extra charge to secure a specific category F as opposed to an unspecified category G. Both cabins seem identical except for deck placement between decks 7 and 8.

Carol - could you tell me how you were able to determine that the January, 2013 cruises to South America show H categories as "wait list" and G categories as "guaranty?" Is this information available on a website?

Thanks.

I've just come back from a trip on Mariner from Istanbul from Rome which was my first cruise ever.

I'd booked a guaranteed "G" cabin early January but in the event was upgraded to a "C". Someone else on the trip had booked a guaranteed "H" six months or so ago and was upgraded to a "B" so I think with a guarantee, the earlier you book, the higher a grade cabin you're likely get.

I asked for a bath rather than a shower at the time of booking and I got one so even with a guarantee Regent seem to take this into account when allocating the cabin.

Having "concierge" level and the butler didn't make much difference to us but it was really nice to have such a big cabin but I think I'd be disinclined to pay the extra at booking as the smaller cabin looked fine to me so booking a bottom grade on Mariner and Voyager and the lowest grade with a balcony on Navigator and look upon an upgrade as a bonus is the way I'll be doing things in the future.

Rik

Keep in mind, however, that comp upgrades are not as frequent as they were in the past. I have booked a GTY cabin and been assigned the same category without an upgrade. It just depends on the sailing and what is available.

We were on Mariner for this year's South American cruise and, for this particular cruise, wanted to choose our cabin.

To minimize the motion sometimes felt when rounding Cape Horn, we wanted to be on a low deck and relatively mid-ship. For a trip as long as this was, we wanted to be on the side of the ship that was facing land and the scenery. I also prefer a tub to a walk in shower.

That said, I can't think of any other cruises that I would care about the placement of my cabin as much as I did on this one. As everyone says, there are no bad cabins on Mariner. If there were significant money to be saved by taking a guarantee, I'll likely do it.

To view availability of a particular cruise go to Regent's website and bring up the cruise you are looking at.... Use the tab "fare" and each catagory is listed, if the catagory is full it will show "Closed", "guarantee" or "waitlisted".

I had forgotten the bathtub vs shower thing...I like the shower only as I am VERY short and climbing into a tub to shower is a pain :)

Shower cabins are ones ending in "1,3,5" don't remember if "7" is included.

Oh and 822 is the cabin I like... Not 821 but then again it depends on the Itinerary and which direction the ship is sailing..

Our first Regent Cruise was a Guarantee and it was weird getting on the cruise with no cabin assignment but it all worked out...no bad cabins!

Hope this all makes sense, have fun planning!

PS you are right all cabins below Penthouse Catagory are identical with the exception of the Bath vs Shower...a midship location is always a higher catagory or a penthouse. Deck 7 has no self laundry (iron/ironing board is there:)

We paid a little more to get a definite cabin and I suspect this is part of Regent's tactic to earn a bit more. Years ago we had a guarantee on another line and did receive the desirable upgrade but the cabin location was horrible. We hit a horrible storm and spent an awful 24 hours being seasick. Won't do an upgrade again. If we can't get the cabin we want - and won't pay a suite category - we would find another cruise.

We paid a little more to get a definite cabin and I suspect this is part of Regent's tactic to earn a bit more. Years ago we had a guarantee on another line and did receive the desirable upgrade but the cabin location was horrible. We hit a horrible storm and spent an awful 24 hours being seasick. Won't do an upgrade again. If we can't get the cabin we want - and won't pay a suite category - we would find another cruise.

Oh dear .... I don't think you get it.... You see the cabins are available and don't cost extra.... It is just that when a Catagory is sold out and the lowest two sell out fast only then are "guarantee" cabins offered. No money making scam involved. Book a cruise early and you can pick and choose and pay less for the exact cabin you would like.. Wait and get a last minute cruise and you may not know which cabin but you will at least have an opportunity to sail in a catagory higher than what you paid for...

Remember on Mariner (and I feel the same about Voyager) there are no bad cabins .... There is also no "free upgrade fairy"...

So the best advice is to book early, pay less and pick the exact cabin and location you want to sail in...I would not hesitate to accept a guaranty on either Voyager or Mariner...

To some people some of the cabins can be less desirable - depending on your perspective. Some neighbors first sailed on the Navigator and had cabins in the rear - did not care for it and didn't think they would sail Regent again. They did end up on the Navigator a few months ago but had cabins more mid-ship (booked 2 months in advance, by the way - must have hit a cancellation) and really enjoyed the sailing.

The Voyager and Navigator are famous for their rear cabin vibration. It bothers some people and not others, but for my trip, I prefer not to test those waters, so to speak, and get a cabin where I know that won't be an issue.

As for not getting it...recently retired after 30 years in the travel business. I think I get it.

Hummm really :) your right on Navagator I would never take a Guarantee, and having been far Aft on Voyager the only vibration we felt was upon entry to port and docking...Other folks are a bit more sensitive.

My comments was more directed towards your point of Regent charging extra to pick an exact cabin and my point is that book early and you can pick any cabin you want, wait until the ship is sold out and you get what you get!!

On Navigator or Voyager, I would never take a guaranty cabin. That being due the vibration issues. Would possibly consider it on mariner, but my husband has to have his shower. So probably not if I am sailing with him.

We booked a "Guaranty" for December last year thinking it would not bother us at all to have our room assignment unsettled until we boarded. Turned out it bothered us both much more than we anticipated. We didn't realize when we first booked that "Guaranty" meant Regent could put us anywhere on the boat, even possibly upgraded, etc. We thought a "G Guaranty" meant we would end up somewhere on deck 7. As time went on and we read more, we came to realize it meant we could end up anywhere Regent wanted to put us, including under the Pool Deck. We are late to bed, late to rise and that would not have suited us at all. (At that time Concierge did not include the benefits it does now.) Anyway, we spent way too much time worrying about it and would not book "Guaranty" again but that's just us.

Another issue for us as previously posted, there was an awful sewage smell in and around our cabin (but mainly the hallway) due to a problem the Mariner was having at that time. It was mainly in the back area of the ship and extended up at least several floors from time to time but was worse on decks 7 and 8. Even though there have been no reported problems since that time, I would not personally want to be in that area again, just in case. We will definitely opt to choose our suite next time.

We love Regent and were satisfied with their (albeit late) adjustment to our problem with the smell on our last cruise and are looking forward to booking our third trip with them soon. Should you decide to book with Regent, please email us and I'd be glad to refer you under their referral program. It gives the 1st time Regent cruiser an On Board Credit of $200 and us a future cruise credit of $200. We are at cele4711 at gmail dot com.

My wife and I have just booked our first Seven Seas cruise on Voyager, in September. We are in an H guarantee, I believe. How does the guest referral scheme work? I'd be happy to be referred, if it helps someone.

My wife and I have just booked our first Seven Seas cruise on Voyager, in September. We are in an H guarantee, I believe. How does the guest referral scheme work? I'd be happy to be referred, if it helps someone.

If you have already booked, I think you are too late.

Tom,

Pretty sure they can be booked and still be referred as long as they haven't paid their deposit. A fine line for sure but, how the program currently works.

That is a difference betwen UK and US. Here you have to pay a deposit (non-refundable) of 20% on booking, otherwise you aren't booked. No bookind and cancelling later, forfeiting only a few dollars.

That is a difference betwen UK and US. Here you have to pay a deposit (non-refundable) of 20% on booking, otherwise you aren't booked. No bookind and cancelling later, forfeiting only a few dollars.

That's really crappy Tom!! Any way you can book thru a US TA to get the rates we do. Know I talked to Gerry on the TA and she is able to book with a US TA.

Am thinking because of the consumer protection laws in the UK that's why Regent makes the non-refundable 20%?? Really too bad you have to commit to a 20% non-refundable amount from the booking date.

Hope we can meet on a cruise sometime soon.

Thanks,

That's really crappy Tom!! Any way you can book thru a US TA to get the rates we do. Know I talked to Gerry on the TA and she is able to book with a US TA.

Am thinking because of the consumer protection laws in the UK that's why Regent makes the non-refundable 20%?? Really too bad you have to commit to a 20% non-refundable amount from the booking date.

Hope we can meet on a cruise sometime soon.

Thanks,

I am happy with the rates I pay for Regent cruises here. Taking account of the complexity of exchange rates, etc., I don't think the amount we pay for our cruise is signifiantly different and is, I believe, often cheaper. I know we could use US TA's, in fact I get e-mails regularly. Gerry is based in Switzerland and her situation is a little different. On our next cruise, to Iceland on 3 June, I understand a favourite US TA is on board with clients and I hope to have a chat with her.

Unlike most on this board, I like booking directly with Regent.I get quick and accurate answers and they have always treated me very well. However, I cannot quarrel with the discount some TA's offer and nowadays I forego my liking for booking direct for the cash benefit of using a TA.

Perhaps one day we shall be on a cruise together. I would like that, Dave.

Archived