Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

From the Telegraph in London Wednesday, July 24, they have this headline: "Lofoten Islands: With scenery like this, who needs the Med?" with this subhead: "Give the heat of the Med a miss in favour of the far-flung Lofoten Islands of Norway, where whale watching and spectacular walks await "

Among the interesting story highlights for this part of Norway are: "They have beaches. Gorgeous, sandy ones that have been named among the world’s most romantic. The remote possibility of financial meltdown in Athens convinced me to give the Med a miss. Had I bothered to consult an atlas, I would have discovered that the beaches she had touted in the Lofoten Islands lay on the wrong side of the Arctic Circle. We had it entirely to ourselves and, yes, it was certainly beautiful – fine white sand lapped by light blue waters and backed by rolling pastures and dramatic peaks. But those peaks were still capped with snow, even in June. Nor were there sun loungers, or tavernas hawking fried cheese and bottles of cold Mythos. It is heaven for hikers. Those soaring landscapes looked daunting from afar but have been made accessible by a network of trails. Views from the water are equally beguiling. Several companies offer guided sea kayaking tours – perfect for exploring hidden coves and islets. Being on the Gulf Stream means that, despite its latitude, Lofoten’s climate is relatively mild, even reaching 20C in summer."

This profile has lots of pictures, plus many details, tips, ideas, etc., for visiting the super part of the Norway western coast.

In July 2010, we super loved our two stops in these wonderful Lofoten Islands. Here are my notes from visiting there. Plus, a few of my pictures that posted earlier on this thread. But I am placing them to here in case anyone is just looking at this section of this live/blog. Lots to love and see there.

My Lofoten Island Summary: This 70-miles long island archipelago has natural surroundings regarded to be among the most stunning in Norway, with mountains, peaks, cliffs and white sandy beaches. The remote southern islands of Vaeroy and Rost are rated as world-class bird sanctuaries having nesting places for millions of seabirds along its cliffs. There are 35,000 people living on all of the islands and they are 886 miles northeast of Bergen. In November 2007, National Geographic Traveler rated the Lofoten Islands of northern Norway the third most appealing islands in the world. The Gulf Stream contributes to its seasonal fishing success. In Leknes, the sun (midnight sun) is above the horizon from May 26 to July 17 and in winter the sun does not rise from December 9 to January 4.

From Conde Nast Traveler, they have this headline: "The Norwegian Town Whose Name Is One Letter Long" with these highlights: "What about the world's shortest place name? It's hard to get much shorter than the Norwegian town of Å. The Lofoten islands of Nordland are among the most scenic places on earth. Vertical spires of glacially carved granite rise from the Norwegian Sea 100 miles north of the Arctic Sea -- but the weather is surprisingly mild, due to the Gulf Stream. Tourists flock to Lofoten every summer to scale its mountains, admire its quaint red fishing villages, and enjoy its 24 hours of sunshine."

By the way, this story notes that this village of 150 people called Å is pronounced as "aw". They also explain: "Its name is the Old Norse word for 'small river.' There are at least seven villages in Norway called Å, though the one in the Lofoten islands is the most popular with tourists."

Full UK Telegraph story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/norway/11760158/Lofoten-Islands-With-scenery-like-this-who-needs-the-Med.html

Also, check out this profile with lots of pictures from the Huffington Post in March earlier this year titled: "Norway's Lofoten Islands: A Photographer's Dream"

It is at:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-outbound-collective/norways-lofoten-islands-a-photographers-dream_b_6810938.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 53,237 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is one of our first Lofoten Islands views from a stop early during our trip driving south as we headed towards “Å". We had a rental car that allowed us plenty of flexibility to explore this great area, stop where our interests took us, etc. There is only one main road up and down, making things easy to navigate and travel in this super scenic area. Good road conditions, etc.

LofotenEarlyValleyViewRedBldg.jpg

An historic seaport and cod fishing center is Nusfjord a few miles east of the main south-bound road in the Lofoten Islands. It is one of Norway’s oldest and best preserved fishing villages (fiskevaer). Here is one of its buildings and its harbor. There is also a cod processing building with various visuals to see for that historic era. The old Fish Oil Mill is used for exhibiting items from the Fish Buying Station or fiskemottak. They show a film called “The people and the fish”. The mill was built around 1910. Here fish oil was produced from fish liver. The fish was retrieved from the Buying Station then, transported by rowboat to the mill. Cod liver oil was a very attractive export product, used in industrial production and for medicinal purpose. We also got some great pictures of its birds perched on a large rock, etc. You can see more details from this website:

http://www.nusfjord.no/EN/nusfjord/index_new_eng.html:

LofotenNusfjordBldg.jpg

B]We went to the end of the road in the Lofoten Islands along the scenic Norway Coast. This is a charming village called “Å”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. Simple name for a charming fishing town! We had box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock. This was our view with the busy and noisy birds. From Gravdal to the SW end of the E10 highway, it is about 38 miles. Not a long, long distance. Very good and interesting road conditions, bridges, tunnels, options for stopping, scenic drama, etc. Parts of this highway is known as King Olav's Road. Until the 1990's, Å was mainly a small fishing village, but recently tourism has become the main economic focus.: [/b]

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

Here is an example of the soaring rocks/mountains and dramatic scenery in the Lofoten Islands when we did our DIY drive south and then back on the Lofoten Islands. Nice? This includes one of the curved beaches about a mile and a half east of Ramberg.:

LofotenBeachYellowFlowers.jpg

Here are some of the many wooden racks for fish drying on these islands that we checked out during our drive south in the Lofoten Islands.:

LofotenFishDrying.jpg

Near the main E10 roadway in the southern part of the Lofoten Island is this historic Flakstad Kirke church that was built in 1780. It has a Russian design/look as certain of its materials were donated by those from that country.:

LofotenRedChurch.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Fanstastic Terry............we did the Norway Summer Solstice cruise last year in June on Princess and I must say after cruising many, many years all over the world , that one was the best. The natives are so friendly and their English is perfect, one of my favorite tours was the North Cape and seeing all the reindeer...........as you said, the babies are precious. Wandering all over neighborhood gardens and munching right along with their mamas.

We are hoping to book the Cloud in March, 2016 up the African coast to Barcelona. I was great seeing picture and learning all about the ship. Now I am really ready to go on a new adventure. We'll be in Alaska and Seattle on a cruise next month so getting excited about that right now!

Thanks again Terry!

Carol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Terry. I am sooooo glad to have run across your trip report on your Norway cruise. We will be cruising up the coast of Norway on HAL's newest ship Konningsdam in June 2016. We have never been on HAL before so this should be interesting. I was so enthralled with your reporting and your photos that I was up until 1:30 am reading it!!!

I have just moved up to a bridge camera, Panasonic DMC FZ1000. I have a MacBook Air. Do you think I can shoot in raw and my computer will be able to import the images? Your photo composition is excellent. I tend to shoot straight on, waiting for all the people to clear out of my vision---but your photos are shot from angles, many with people, and are so interesting. Recently, we were in Cuba and I took a pic of a wall with a huge fading painting of Che Guevara on it. The painting covered the whole wall between two doorways. I took the photo straight on. Last week, I saw that same wall in an online pictorial of Havana---shot from an angle that included the corner of the building and part of the intersecting street. It was so visually interesting compared to my photo that "had no context" I guess I would say. So, congratulations, on your expertise in composing your pictures.

In January-March, we are going on safari and then a cruise with Oceania, partly in South Africa. I had read that you were going to go on a cruise in South Africa in 2015 but then that was changed to 2016? I had hoped to learn from your trip report and photos---but I guess we'll be there before you. I could have learned so much from you and now...

BTW, how did you get such defined fireworks photos in Sydney?

Thanks for sharing your Norway trip with all of us. I am going to send a link to another couple who will be on the Norway cruise with us.

Edited by Senior Citizen

Hello Terry. I am sooooo glad to have run across your trip report on your Norway cruise. We will be cruising up the coast of Norway on HAL's newest ship Konningsdam in June 2016. I was so enthralled with your reporting and your photos that I was up until 1:30 am reading it!!! I have just moved up to a bridge camera, Panasonic DMC FZ1000. I have a MacBook Air. Do you think I can shoot in raw and my computer will be able to import the images? Your photo composition is excellent. I tend to shoot straight on, waiting for all the people to clear out of my vision---but your photos are shot from angles, many with people, and are so interesting. It was so visually interesting compared to my photo that "had no context" I guess I would say. So, congratulations, on your expertise in composing your pictures. In January-March, we are going on safari and then a cruise with Oceania, partly in South Africa. I had read that you were going to go on a cruise in South Africa in 2015 but then that was changed to 2016? I had hoped to learn from your trip report and photos---but I guess we'll be there before you. BTW, how did you get such defined fireworks photos in Sydney? I am going to send a link to another couple who will be on the Norway cruise with us.

CAC104: Thank you for this great travel report.

gacruisergal: Fantastic Terry............we did the Norway Summer Solstice cruise last year in June on Princess and I must say after cruising many' date=' many years all over the world , that one was the best. The natives are so friendly and their English is perfect, one of my favorite tours was the North Cape and seeing all the reindeer...........as you said, the babies are precious. We are [b']hoping to book the Cloud in March, 2016[/b] up the African coast to Barcelona. It was great seeing picture and learning all about the ship. Now I am really ready to go on a new adventure. Thanks again Terry! Carol

Appreciate these very nice and kind comments and encouragement. For Carol, hope you do the Silver Cloud in March 2016 to sail from Cape Town up the Africa coast. Or, join us on our Feb. 2-12 sailing from Cape Town that explore the South Africa coast, goes to Mozambique and then back to CT.

For "Senior Citizen", sorry to have complicated your life by causing you to stay up till 1:30 am reading my live/blog. Hope you've recovered by now. On your photo questions, my wife has a MacBook Air and you should be able to shoot in raw and important those pictures from your camera. Do not know the "mechanics" for how that would work from your Panasonic DMC FZ1000.

Photos having "context"???: YES, you have summarized well the key goal of having your pictures be BOTH interesting and involving. I like visuals, in the style of many from National Geographic and their magazines, that have the human/personal involvement and/or "context". Just plain "post-card" types of pictures can be OK, but offering more depth and details makes things better in my view. On the fireworks pictures, those were not ones that I took. Those from news media sources that I grabbed off of the Bing search engine. Many times to capture fireworks well, will require a tripod and longer, time exposure.

Not sur if I have posted on this live/blog, but below are my basic photo tips and ideas.

In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing, subject and creative options. Some of these cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few of my key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. When done and sharing, only show people the "good ones!" and do not bother them with the average, duplicate and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get more better pictures, varied framings, magic moments, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people and light. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection or "context" when possible. Do NOT be boring!! Get something better than just the normal "post-card" picture that everyone has previously seen.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to give more "stability" and lessen the blurs in lower-light situations. Night pictures can have a real drama.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the cropping, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I have done that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto and now Aperture software tools. Fairly quick and easy!! That thoughtful editing really can make a major difference to increase quality and interest.

Love to hear any other questions, feed-back, comments. Keep it coming!! Happy to share more.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 128,264 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail and other newspaper this past week, they have this headline: "Norway is the best place to live in the world" with these sub-head points: "188 countries were ranked by the UN in the Human Development Index, Norway ranked top, followed by Australia, Switzerland and Denmark."

These nations scored on their life expectancy, education and Gross National Income (GNI) per capita. Among the story highlights are: "The countries in the top 10 are all western countries with higher than average life expectancy, good level of education and income. Norway came top consistently, even after adjustments for inequality. The USA came in at number eight while the UK was further down at joint 14th position with Sweden. If you want to live a long life, it's best to head to Hong Kong where life expectancy is 84 years. In contrast, those living in Swaziland only had a life expectancy of 49 years. The HDI also doesn't take into account of things like human rights, pollution or the hours of work."

Interesting story and background. Lots of pictures in this story that bringing back nice memories from our visit to this wonderful and spectacularly scenic country with so much history and character.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3362206/Norway-best-place-live-world-Niger-worst-comes-life-expectancy-education-income-UK-USA-Australia-rank.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,404 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Terry,

I just spent the last couple of hours reviewing this thread and cutting and pasting some notes on it as I begin preparations for our August 2016 Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords cruise. I have been interested in doing this cruise since I visited Bergen, Flam and the Sognefjord (part of a Baltics/Scandinavia land trip) with my sister almost 10 years ago, but this wonderful thread and your fabulous photos solidified my interest since you first began it more than five years ago.

Finally 2016 has arrived and I will get to visit some of the stops you have so-well captured in your photos! Just hoping museum-aficionado spouse enjoys it. The fact that our cruise is round-trip Amsterdam was an added inducement to his interest.

Thanks for providing such enjoyment on a grey winter day in Cincinnati!

Edited by CintiPam

Fantastic read. And now I know why I keep seeing duct tape mentioned!

Interestingly Terry, your Vista Suite 427 is the same as ours for our trip on the Wind this coming April. Hope the wind also has clanking noises and an accommodating solution! Did you ever find out what it was?

I noticed you went into Tivoli in Copenhagen. (The oldest amusment part in the world I think?) Anyway.... do you recall the dive bomber ride with the bi-plane mounted on each end of the extended arms? I was gobsmacked anyone would pay to go on that for enjoyment! Spinning in three axis and 100 foot or so in the air! I felt ill just looking at it!

Anyway - absolutely great review. Brought back fond memories of my cloud trip last June. I didn't recognise any of the names of the crew, so I guess they move from ship to ship. Actually I almost asked you in the cooler thread my surprise of the negative reviews on the Cloud in the review section. Stunned. At least I recognised some of the names in those reviews - notably Rodney, who was our butler.

Cant wait for your next cloud review now!

Hi, Terry, I just spent the last couple of hours reviewing this thread and cutting and pasting some notes on it as I begin preparations for our August 2016 Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords cruise. I have been interested in doing this cruise since I visited Bergen, Flam and the Sognefjord (part of a Baltics/Scandinavia land trip) with my sister almost 10 years ago, but this wonderful thread and your fabulous photos solidified my interest since you first began it more than five years ago. Finally 2016 has arrived and I will get to visit some of the stops you have so-well captured in your photos! Just hoping museum-aficionado spouse enjoys it. The fact that our cruise is round-trip Amsterdam was an added inducement to his interest. Thanks for providing such enjoyment on a grey winter day in Cincinnati!

les37b: Fantastic read. And now I know why I keep seeing duct tape mentioned! Interestingly Terry' date=' your Vista Suite 427 is the same as ours for our trip on the Wind this coming April. Hope the wind also has clanking noises and an accommodating solution! Did you ever find out what it was? I noticed you went into Tivoli in Copenhagen. (The oldest amusment part in the world I think?) Anyway.... do you recall the dive bomber ride with the bi-plane mounted on each end of the extended arms? I was gobsmacked anyone would pay to go on that for enjoyment! Spinning in three axis and 100 foot or so in the air! I felt ill just looking at it! Anyway - [b']absolutely great review. Brought back fond memories[/b] of my cloud trip last June. I didn't recognise any of the names of the crew, so I guess they move from ship to ship. Actually I almost asked you in the cooler thread my surprise of the negative reviews on the Cloud in the review section. Stunned. At least I recognised some of the names in those reviews - notably Rodney, who was our butler. Cant wait for your next cloud review now!

linderbelle: Terry--I'm into photography also and debating on which lens to bring. You keep mentioning your 10-20. Is it a sigma lens? I love my 24-70 but contemplating even a wider one. When lenses did you use besides your 10-20?

Appreciate these super nice and kind comments and follow-up from Pam and Les. Yes' date=' we[b'] super loved Tivoli [/b]from our two different visits there. Lots of charm, character and entertainment of so many types. Yes, re-call that "dive bomber" ride. Have some good pictures of it in action. Happy to share more for Pam as you move ahead with your exciting Amsterdam, Norway, etc., trip.

Looking forward to sharing more from our upcoming Africa adventure. In just seven days we will arrive in Cape Town. It is just 12 days till we will board the Silver Cloud and when we can test how things will be working for us on this ship.

For linderbelle, yes, that is a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that I have used. For my Nikon D7100 that I now use, my main lens is a Nikkor 18-140 mm that works well for about 85-90% of my shooting. BUT, also have a Nikkor 55-300mm for longer shot needs, plus a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for some food and lower-light situations. Does this help? Need more photo info/background? Sorry for my delay in responding, but have been busy wrapping up work and trip prep efforts in order to depart on Tuesday.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,036 views for these postings.

Appreciate these super nice and kind comments and follow-up from Pam and Les. Yes, we super loved Tivoli from our two different visits there. Lots of charm, character and entertainment of so many types. Yes, re-call that "dive bomber" ride. Have some good pictures of it in action. Happy to share more for Pam as you move ahead with your exciting Amsterdam, Norway, etc., trip.

Did you ever find out what the clanking was in Room 427? Maybe I should ask to be moved to another now! haha

On the Subject of Amsterdam cruise starts....

... Loved the 180 degree start turn!!! Hope you enjoy. (It gives me a warning because of the music I chose that its not available in some countries for copy write - please let me know if it isn't - and I will change it.... But love the tracks so would prefer not to!

• 5 months later...

Appreciate the continued interest in this live/blog. It just went over 200,000 views!! I know that duct tape and others might note that these postings and pictures are now six years old, but clearly the beauty and amazement for these sights along the spectacular Norway coast has not changed. Glad that so many have dropped by, asked good question, shared additional comments/insights, etc. Keep it coming!! It was a great and fun trip with wonderful fellow passengers and a great crew on this exciting journey. And for us, it was the first of four cruises completed on the small and charming Silver Cloud.

From the Chicago Tribune yesterday, they had this headline: "Norway in a nutshell, from fiords to mountaintops" with a number highlights, including for the massive waterfall, Kjosfossen, that is along the route of this famed Flam railway adventure.

Here are some other highlights: "The somewhat surreal experience unfolded riding on the Flamsbana or Flam Railway, often ranked as one of Europe's most beautiful train journeys. Opened in 1940, the rail line starts in Flam, a small village at the edge of the Sognefjord, the second longest fiord in the world. The ride begins at sea level and chugs up into the mountains, through 20 different tunnels blasted into the rock, until it reaches nearly 3,000 feet an hour later. It's a spectacular excursion on one of the planet's steepest railways." The writer took a bike up for the rail trip and then did the ride back down to the sea-level town of Flam. She also detailed other "Norway in a Nutshell" adventure options in this amazing part of the world.

Full story at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-norway-in-a-nutshell-travel-0712-20160705-story.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,450 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 3 months later...

From the New York Times website this morning, they have this headline: "6,000 Miles North of Hawaii" with this subhead: "There’s a thriving surf scene in Norway’s Lofoten Islands, where the waves are cold and the air is colder."

Much of this story, with some great video and picture highlights, is about the Lofoten Masters surfing competition that is billed as the world’s northernmost surfing competition. This story notes: "Since the 1990s, and especially in the last decade, enhanced insulation in the suits has opened some of the most frigid reaches of the world to surfers seeking isolated adventures, craggy nature and uncrowded and unexplored waves. Residents of some remote locales have begun wrestling with the complicated balance of welcoming larger numbers of surfers while keeping pristine settings safe and unspoiled. Unstad, population 15, is among the Lofoten Islands, an archipelago that juts like an arthritic finger from Norway’s west coast into the Atlantic, more than 100 miles above the Arctic Circle."

This article brings back wonderfully nice memories from our visiting, twice, the amazing Lofoten Islands. The writer also notes: "In autumn in Unstad, when the valley flames with the gold of birch trees against the red of the houses, there are often more sheep than people on the beach. The waves rumble like subway cars, foaming on white sand and rounded rocks that, from a distance, resemble a colony of seals."

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/sports/surfing-unstad-norway-lofoten-masters.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 44,341 views for these postings.

• 3 months later...

From the Wall Street Journal Jan. 18, they have this headline: "An Insider’s Guide to Copenhagen" with this sub-headline: "The best places to eat, shop, stay and embrace winter in Copenhagen, with expert advice from Noma’s René Redzepi, co-founder of Hay design company, Mette Hay, and others."

Here are some of their profile highlights: "Denmark's capital is an easy sell in the summer. Locals swim in urban harbors like Islands Brygge or Fisketorvet, or picnic near the boundless flower beds in the Renaissance-era King’s Garden. But as winter insinuates its way into the city, Copenhagen shows its true strength: embracing the cold in elegant Nordic style. In the darker months, candles wedged into wine bottles gleam in restaurant windows, the candy colors of the canal-side buildings pop against the muted skies and a twinkly-lit skating rink draws visitors to the edge of the Frederiksberg Gardens. Residents still ride their bicycles. As for foodie pilgrimage site Noma, it will close Feb. 25 (reopening late in the year), but a few alumni have opened restaurants around town where the cold and peckish can warm up with a bite or a glass of natural wine."

Featured are four different Copenhagen residents and experts who share some of their tips and ideas to enjoy this historic and charming town. Here is one example: "Conditori La Glace: An old patisserie from the end of the 19th century, it has a special pastry with cream inside, pink or yellow icing on top. It’s like any girl’s dream of a cake. Skoubogade 3, laglace.dk"

Here is one dining option cited: "Admiralgade 26: This restaurant is pleasing to the eye as well as the palate, with Danish and European décor from the ’20s onward. Admiralgade 26, admiralgade26.dk"

Also below are a few of the 20+ visuals that were a part of this interesting feature on Copenhagen. We super loved Copenhagen before we did our Norway cruise in 2010. Fortunately, we had added time here before commencing our cruise on the Silver Cloud.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-insiders-guide-to-copenhagen-1484766024

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,050 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

This Wall Street Journal profile had 20+ pictures included. Here are a few sample visual highlights. First, from the Thorvaldsens Museum, a 19th-century sculpture museum, the curator at the city’s Glyptoteket Musuem calls this location “a little pocket of luxury, ornament and color.”:

DecTravel2016A%20034_zps3gsgsm76.jpg

From Conditori La Glace, a patisserie that dates back to the late 19th century, here are some samples of the special pastries with cream inside and a pink and yellow icing on top. Look good?:

DecTravel2016A%20036_zpsmqqyraeq.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20035_zpsaytfjwbv.jpg

Here is the winter garden at Glyptoteket Museum. It is noted that when inside here, "you completely forget you are in the middle of the city center.”:

DecTravel2016A%20037_zpszbmty1rk.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

• 2 months later...

Thank you Terry for the wonderful detailed post and photos of Norway & ship! I've just booked on Crown Princess for June 2017 Southampton to North Cape. I'm just starting researching for what do in each port. Unfortunately the roll call for my departure doesn't seem to have many group excursions planned and since I'm travelling solo that will leave me mostly with ship excursions which I'm not a fan of.

Thank you Terry for the wonderful detailed post and photos of Norway & ship! I've just booked on Crown Princess for June 2017 Southampton to North Cape. I'm just starting researching for what do in each port. Unfortunately the roll call for my departure doesn't seem to have many group excursions planned and since I'm travelling solo that will leave me mostly with ship excursions which I'm not a fan of.

Appreciate your very kind comments and this great follow-up. Sorry that your cruise roll call is not more active. Keep researching and planning!! That very important for this part of the world. Yes, ship excursions are not always the best and/or ideal. But, since you are going all of the way up to the North Cape, it is better to do a ship tour than miss experiencing certain great options and potentials in this scenic and interesting part of the world.

Will you be on the June 17 sailing from Southampton that visits Stavanger, Flåm, Ålesund, Trondheim, Honningsvag (North Cape), Tromsø, Gravdal (Leknes/Lofoten), Skjolden and Bergen? Lots of great stops and in late June your weather should hopefully be pretty good.

Let me know any added questions, info needs, etc. Happy to share more.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 1 month later...

We have had quotes for car hire in Leknes for a cruise stop in June of this year (2017) and from reading this cruise review we have decided to drive to A and then make our way slowly back to Leknes. Where do you suggest we stop on route back to make the most of our short road trip. We will have the car from 8.30 to about 16.30. The car hire companies are quoting for pick up and drop off at the port in Leknes. Many thanks.

We have had quotes for car hire in Leknes for a cruise stop in June of this year (2017) and from reading this cruise review we have decided to drive to A and then make our way slowly back to Leknes. Where do you suggest we stop on route back to make the most of our short road trip. We will have the car from 8.30 to about 16.30. The car hire companies are quoting for pick up and drop off at the port in Leknes. Many thanks.

Appreciate your trip planning progress and this positive follow-up for your upcoming "adventure"!! Yes, lots of options to consider in traveling down to the charming village called “Å” and then coming back. Much will depend on the weather and your personal interests. As noted earlier, we found the Nusfjord historic seaport and cod fishing center to be of interest for us. Interesting history/background there. It is a few miles east of the main south-bound road in the Lofoten Islands.

Since you are in your own car and doing the schedule, you can stop when it fits your interests and needs. If something looks interesting, such as a beach area, you can stop, spend as much or as little time there as needed. As also noted, there might be the chance to stop and look at the wooden racks for fish drying and also to see the historic Flakstad Kirke church that was built in 1780.

Have a wonderful time during your visit to the Lofoten Island, etc. Report back here as to your highlights, what you enjoyed most, your biggest surprises, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,074 views for this posting.

• 1 month later...
Terry, Thank You for a GREAT review and all the photos. I felt like I was with you. Tony

Appreciate these nice comments from Tony. From the New York Times Travel Section this morning, they have this headline: 36 Hours in Bergen with these highlights: Many come to Bergen in pursuit of nearby nature, to see the dramatic fjords and waterfalls and misty mountain peaks of Norway’s southwestern coast. But before you are whisked away on a cruise ship or hiking tour, it’s worth exploring the city itself, Norway’s second largest. Although visitors typically head straight for the historic harbor, locals have been busy elsewhere, developing an all-are-welcome cultural scene. So pack an umbrella, and save the fjords for later — they’re not going anywhere.”.

We super loved our visit to Bergen as detailed with lots of pictures and tips in this live/blog.

This NY Times profile provides many ideas and options to consider, especially for arts options, places to eat, drink, etc. There is a nice interactive map, plus a number of pictures, etc.

This includes this potential to consider if music is of personal interest: "The beauty of Norwegian nature was a constant inspiration for Edvard Grieg, the Romantic-era composer and Bergen native revered for his classical concerto and soulful piano compositions. And it’s easy to see why on a visit to Troldhaugen, Grieg’s longtime summer home. Built in 1885, the waterside villa is now part of the Edvard Grieg Museum, filled with mementos like the composer’s Steinway piano."

LATEST ADVENTURE??!!: Just got back from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites! Below are a few "samples" to prove the value for exploring these wonderful areas. For many more pictures and full details, check out this live/blog:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Full NY Times story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/29/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-bergen-norway.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2F travel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&regio n=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPl acement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,521 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

• 10 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section this past weekend, they had this headline: 36 Hours in Copenhagen with this sub-headline: "In the design-savvy, food-obsessed Danish capital, the only problem for travelers is keeping up with all that is new."

Among the story highlights are: What a difference a decade can make. Copenhagen today is a city transformed, a polestar across creative fields from art to architecture, design to dining. No longer a sleepy Scandinavian capital, this good-looking city found success by tinkering with expectations. Cyclists own the avenues even in the depths of winter. The near-barren land gave birth to a culinary movement. The only problem for travelers visiting today, faced with new and noteworthy openings nearly every week, is keeping up.

Lots of interesting ideas, options, etc., are contained in this profile of Copenhagen. Many food, dining, drinking, art, design, etc., potentials are mentioned, plus pictures, a good/interactive map, etc. Have loved Copenhagen from our two visits there.

Below is a link to our latest adventure. It was Southeast Asia, including our first river cruise!! You can link to that live/blog with lots of visuals, plus you can see a few sample visuals from this trip. Many more on the full live/blog.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/travel/what-to-do-in-copenhagen.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2F36-hours&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=4&pgtype=collection

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

From that New York Times Travel Section last weekend, they also had this headline: What to Pack for a Trip to Copenhagen.

Here were some of the highlights that they suggested: Don’t Forget Your:Cycling gear. Copenhagen is very bike-friendly, and if you plan to tour Harbor Circle by bike, you may want to bring your own helmet in case your rental place doesn’t offer them. Protection from the rain. Curling up in a cozy sweater at one of the city’s many coffee shops sounds snug — but if that sweater is sopping wet from your bike ride or walk over, that vision of hygge melts quickly.

More tips and ideas to consider in this added segment from the NY Times.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/travel/what-to-pack-for-a-trip-to-copenhagen.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2F36-hours&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=collection

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 200,719 views for this posting.

• 3 months later...

From Conde Nast Traveler earlier this year, they had this headline: 13 Photos That Will Make You Want to Visit Norway's Lofoten Islands with these highlights: It's not exactly easy to reach the Lofoten Islands, but you won't regret making the effort. Once there, you'll find clear blue waters that rival the Mediterranean, craggy mountains that rival Iceland, and enough edgy museums and fishing villages to rival...well, just pick any Scandinavian hot spot. Yet while Lofoten's sites may draw some comparisons, the beauty here is truly unparalleled: think colorful fishing villages, majestic fjords, and frozen beaches dotted with surfers.

Here is another important story highlight included with these wonderful visuals: "The phenomenon of the midnight sun (when the sun doesn't set for several weeks during the summer) affects places south of the Antarctic Circle and north of the Arctic Circle—and that includes the Lofoten Islands. The event resembles a dreamy sunrise or sunset, giving you 24-hour viewing access to northern Norway's striking landscapes from mid-May to July."

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/13-photos-that-will-make-you-want-to-visit-norways-lofoten-islands

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 41,111 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From Conde Nast Traveler magazine, here are just three of the 13 pictures featured. All of these visuals brings back nice memories of an amazingly wonderful region of the world.:

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-12%20at%209.59.37%20AM_zpstda1ai3s.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-12%20at%209.58.50%20AM_zpscpyhhjmh.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-12%20at%209.59.11%20AM_zpsilscu7m2.png

• 6 months later...

From Forbes magazine in the past couple of weeks, they had this headline: “Why Norway's Trondheim Should Be Your Next City Break”  with these highlights: “Norway’s third largest city isn’t normally on the radar of many international visitors who often prefer the allure of the fjords or the Scandi-cool of Sweden or Denmark. Yet Trondheim has a whole heap going for it, not least the contrast of young and old.  A quick walk through the city’s compact central district is all it takes to appreciate these charms. Set amid the historical context of medieval churches and narrow, cobblestone alleys, t doesn’t take long to orient yourself.  The city’s chief attractions include Nidaros Cathedral and the Bakklandet district.  A true icon of the city, Nidaros Cathedral draws people in huge numbers from all over the world. Despite its status as the world’s northernmost medieval cathedral, there’s plenty to see and do here regardless of your faith.”

This profile gives many ideas and options for visiting this city in Norway that we enjoyed very significantly.  

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2019/02/18/why-norways-trondheim-should-be-your-next-city-break/#6c70de97301e

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg