Which duck tour in Boston?

klewenkamp

Boston Duck Tours is the better-known of the two. They have more than a dozen restored WWII-era amphibious landing vehicles. Super Ducks have newer vehicles; I think they have only two.

The Boston Duck Tours tour guides are the drivers, each driver in a silly costume, with a silly character, and a silly boat name. It's a running commentary, guided tour, and comedy routine. Childish humor to appeal to childish people of all ages. (Some might simply call them stupid, bad jokes.) The (brief) water portion of the tour is in the Charles River. Boston Duck Tours' duckboat depots are at the Museum of Science, the Aquarium, and the Prudential Center.

I've done this three times over many years, and always enjoyed it. I'm a local, and they can't really teach me anything about the city, but it was fun. I think of it as a tour for kids. The Buston Duck Boats carry champion sports teams through the city for victory parades, and sometimes there are plaques showing who rode in the boat; this may have marginal appeal if you'r a sports fan.

Super is a newer. less well-known company, with fewer, newer boats. There is a separate guide, not the driver. They splash in Boston Harbor, not the river. They have one location on the waterfront. I have not used Super duck tours.

Boston Duck Tours is the better-known of the two. They have more than a dozen restored WWII-era amphibious landing vehicles. Super Ducks have newer vehicles; I think they have only two.

The Boston Duck Tours tour guides are the drivers, each driver in a silly costume, with a silly character, and a silly boat name. It's a running commentary, guided tour, and comedy routine. Childish humor to appeal to childish people of all ages. (Some might simply call them stupid, bad jokes.) The (brief) water portion of the tour is in the Charles River. Boston Duck Tours' duckboat depots are at the Museum of Science, the Aquarium, and the Prudential Center.

I've done this three times over many years, and always enjoyed it. I'm a local, and they can't really teach me anything about the city, but it was fun. I think of it as a tour for kids. The Buston Duck Boats carry champion sports teams through the city for victory parades, and sometimes there are plaques showing who rode in the boat; this may have marginal appeal if you'r a sports fan.

Super is a newer. less well-known company, with fewer, newer boats. There is a separate guide, not the driver. They splash in Boston Harbor, not the river. They have one location on the waterfront. I have not used Super duck tours.

We (group of 4) did Boston Duck Tour last fall - and even though I grew up outside of Boston and 2 in our group had spent 3 days in Boston about 3 months earlier we all had a great time. If they still offer the free 1 hour student led tour of the Harvard Campus I recommend it. It starts and ends in Harvard Square (scene of many a wasted Saturday in my youth :D) and covers most of the campus. We were there on a warm, beautiful fall day and really enjoyed it.

I've been corrected. My source tells me that Super Duck tours board in Charlestown, in or near the Navy yard.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with the duck tours is that you are stuck on the vehicle the entire time and you do listen to some old jokes. I don't think it's a great way to spend the day. If you have the time, I would recommend the hop on hop off (Trolley Tours) and then a Boston Harbor cruise from Long Wharf. When my daughter was 7 (long time ago), she did enjoy Boston Duck Tour with me and loved the toys they give you that you blow into that make the quacking sound. I considered it fun and relaxing if you go on a nice day.

• 4 weeks later...

Boston Duck Tours- Classic WW2 Vehicles, Fun Drivers. Swim in the Charles River between Boston/Cambridge. Views of MIT/Harvard and such.

Super Duck Tours- New "high-seater" vehicles. Also fun drivers. Swim in Boston Harbor, sights of the Cruiseport, Navy Yard, Fanuel Hall, Aquarium, East Boston, Boston Garden, Logan Airport, Federal Courthouse.