Spanish football question?

roar780

We are arriving in Barcelona on October 2 the only game in Barcelona that weekend is rcd Espayol vs some other team ... Is it worth flying to Madrid to see real vs athletico or to Sevilla vs Barcelona in Sevilla? I'd be returning to Barcelona following day to do some exploring then off to Paris on October 7 for 4 nights before returning to Canada this is my first trip to Europe and I want a memorable experience I don't think we will be back again anytime soon as we are planning to have kids after we get back from this trip which is our honeymoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Espanyol v Racing Gijon would be instantly missable! better off watching in a bar than travelling to the stadium. However.....

tickets for a Madrid derby match (Ath v RM) would be very expensive and hard to get. Sevilla v BCN would be just as difficult as Sevilla have a huge local following and a match against BCN draws a huge crowd.

The other difficulty you face at the moment is that you won't know what day which match is being played until about 3 to 4 weeks before the match. TV companies have to sort out which match each is televising and to confuse it further this year there will be matches on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. At the moment only August matches are fixed. September match dates won't be finalised for a few weeks yet.

Go to the Espanyol game as it should be affordable. LaLiga teams seem to price Barca & Real games at premium costs. Checked my pictures from May and Real-Espanyol was a 130 Euro minimum per ticket. Do the Espanyol game & visit Camp Nou. We did the tour & visited the museum. Really enjoyed it. Also I see that you are in Paris during the International break. Are the French playing a friendly there?

Go to the Espanyol game as it should be affordable. LaLiga teams seem to price Barca & Real games at premium costs. Checked my pictures from May and Real-Espanyol was a 130 Euro minimum per ticket. Do the Espanyol game & visit Camp Nou. We did the tour & visited the museum. Really enjoyed it. Also I see that you are in Paris during the International break. Are the French playing a friendly there?

France are playing Armenia on 8th October.

Orangearmy makes a very good point about the cost of tickets. Matches against Barca or Real are top dollar. Espanyol v Racing Gijon would be much more realistic pricing.

Not as much cost of ticket I just worries about missing a lot of time on Barcelona I wanted to fly in watch match some where then fly back and sleep in Barcelona but unless games are early I dunno if it's possible ... Espayol gonna be empty? Would I be able to find tickets to France vs Armenia ? That sounds great too

Where in Canada are you?

I went to watch the Whitecaps v LA Galaxy in Vancouver April 2014. That is the sort of standard that Espanyol v Gijon would represent. The Espanyol stadium holds over 40,000 and would probably be less than half full for this match.

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide which might be best experience or if should cut down from 5 nights in Barcelona then during Paris stay do a over night in London to watch England vs Estonia.. Opinions? Heading to euro in 8 days hoping to get stuff figured soon but hard to choose

Ok, here are my thoughts.......

England v Estonia - England have qualified for the finals as top of their group (group E) and Estonia have only a very outside chance of making 3rd place in the group, as Slovenia have an easier last two matches and are currently in 3rd place. I wouldn't go out of my way to get to the England v Estonia match.

Sevilla v BCN - means an overnight. Tickets probably reasonably easy to get hold off. It's a possibility but as an overnight is needed I think I would miss this one and go to Madrid.

RMA v Ath M - It's a 10 pm kick off, so it will be midnight when the match is over and you would be heading out of the stadium. Providing that tickets are available, I think this is the one I would try. Train to Madrid on Sunday afternoon, go to the match, after the match have a leisurely meal and drink and it's almost time for the first train back to Barcelona. Well the second train 6.10am gets into Barcelona at 8.40am. You could be back in your hotel in Barcelona and it would only seem like a very good night out!! ;)

The big proviso is the availability of tickets (and the cost :eek:)

We are arriving in Barcelona on October 2 the only game in Barcelona that weekend is rcd Espayol vs some other team ... Is it worth flying to Madrid to see real vs athletico or to Sevilla vs Barcelona in Sevilla? I'd be returning to Barcelona following day to do some exploring then off to Paris on October 7 for 4 nights before returning to Canada this is my first trip to Europe and I want a memorable experience I don't think we will be back again anytime soon as we are planning to have kids after we get back from this trip which is our honeymoon

Espayol are in same division as Barcelona and since they will be nearest, why not give them a go, and at least you wont be spending too much of your honeymoon chasing football matches! ( yes, you've guessed it- im a woman)

Hmm on athletico site it says kickoff at 830? Is time for stadium arrival or actual start?

I aoplogise! My 'go to' website is still showing a 10pm kick off, whereas every other website is showing a 8.30 ko. That is the time the match starts.

So my idea kinda bombs out now! I don't know what I would do if I had the choice.

I don't fancy watching England in a match with no relevance. It also breaks up your holiday/honeymoon. You know, I think I would go to Sevilla :)

Your itinerary would be:

Friday 2nd October - arrive in Barcelona,

Saturday 3rd October - go to Seville

Sunday 4th October - return to Barcelona,

Monday & Tueday in Barcelona,

Wednesday 7th - go to Paris.

• 3 weeks later...

HAHA, just don't wear Barcelona jersey!

Interesting results tonight. My team (Malaga) held RMA to a goalless draw, while ATM were beaten 1-0 by Villareal. With Barca winning 2-1 RMA will be really chasing the points next weekend.

Seriously though, as a neutral, I wouldn't wear either team's jersey. Just enjoy the atmosphere.